Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

is that a tumbleweed i just saw blow by?? oh yeah we're still anticipating..

back to sleep I go...zzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought we were gonna have that poll thing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

QVC HD, HSN HD, Jewelry HD.
Just think of the overloaded makeup on the hosts in eyepopping HD!!

Does 224 still have certain "adult oriented" products for sale late at night sometimes? That could be entertaining in HD :lol: If I remember right the hosts weren't too bad to look at.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#283 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,353 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I wondered about that. Dish fires it up in HD now and then which led me to believe it wasn't a full time HD channel.

FYI: DISH has had REELZ up since July this time ... it does not appear to be going away at the end of an event. (The first two times the feed was event related.)

#284 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hopefully getting some more :icon_band REAL soon...

Mtv2 HD?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#285 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

FYI: DISH has had REELZ up since July this time ... it does not appear to be going away at the end of an event. (The first two times the feed was event related.)

Yeah, DISH is all about the marketing advantage. Totally lost interest in AMC as soon as D* had it in HD, didn't they?
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#286 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,353 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, DISH is all about the marketing advantage. Totally lost interest in AMC as soon as D* had it in HD, didn't they?

They lost interest in AMC when the channel provider offered a rate that was unacceptable. A rate that reflected AMC's frustration over the court case more than what the channel was worth to most DISH customers. We customers were surprised when AMC HD appeared on DISH ... with the lawsuit we were not expecting a carriage deal. All AMC channels gone isn't such a surprise. (But that is a topic for another thread.)

Reelz HD was added temporarily for The Kennedys last year ... and announced as temporary. It came back in the fall when the series reran. Then it came back this year for a couple more months. The last add seems to be permanent. There was no event, such as The Kennedys, to have the channel for. Personally I don't care if that channel is in HD or not ... but others seem to like it.

#287 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

They lost interest in AMC when the channel provider offered a rate that was unacceptable. A rate that reflected AMC's frustration over the court case more than what the channel was worth to most DISH customers. We customers were surprised when AMC HD appeared on DISH ... with the lawsuit we were not expecting a carriage deal. All AMC channels gone isn't such a surprise. (But that is a topic for another thread.)

Reelz HD was added temporarily for The Kennedys last year ... and announced as temporary. It came back in the fall when the series reran. Then it came back this year for a couple more months. The last add seems to be permanent. There was no event, such as The Kennedys, to have the channel for. Personally I don't care if that channel is in HD or not ... but others seem to like it.

Spin, spin, spin. Yet another squabble initiated by Charlie and Co.
DTV = Digital Television

#288 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Spin, spin, spin. Yet another squabble initiated by Charlie and Co.

The should rebrand the company: Dis Network!

#289 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

They lost interest in AMC when the channel provider offered a rate that was unacceptable.

I get the impression there wasn't even a rate on the table.... Where all other companies in a dispute have used that kind of knowledge to pursue a smear campaign of some sorts - "Our offer is only pennies a day!" - I have not seen AMC make one single remark about the rates that might be in play.

The same goes for so-called "market analysts". With these disputes, all sorts of people turn up and chime in on how much they think they might be fighting about, and often they are more or less in the ballpark.

Not so with AMC. Dish severed it ties with a single message it seems: "You are done at the end of the contract, and we aren't going to negotiate".

If ANY number was discussed, it would have been used by either party. Instead, Dish has said that it found the networks to be less valuable than they are now and has dropped them because their customers don't care about these channels, and AMC has stated they weren't even allowed to negotiate for it and are blaming it on the VOOM lawsuit.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#290 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

I get the impression there wasn't even a rate on the table.... Where all other companies in a dispute have used that kind of knowledge to pursue a smear campaign of some sorts - "Our offer is only pennies a day!" - I have not seen AMC make one single remark about the rates that might be in play.

The same goes for so-called "market analysts". With these disputes, all sorts of people turn up and chime in on how much they think they might be fighting about, and often they are more or less in the ballpark.

Not so with AMC. Dish severed it ties with a single message it seems: "You are done at the end of the contract, and we aren't going to negotiate".

If ANY number was discussed, it would have been used by either party. Instead, Dish has said that it found the networks to be less valuable than they are now and has dropped them because their customers don't care about these channels, and AMC has stated they weren't even allowed to negotiate for it and are blaming it on the VOOM lawsuit.

Dish has only said that the price was too high for the package (AMC, IFC, We) while AMC says Dish never talked to them about anything at all, including price. Dish does not dispute that publically. Based on those three facts, it looks like Dish never had any intention of renewing with AMC for whatever reason. If you never talk, then you have no intention of renewing.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#291 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

HDTV Adoption Surpasses 75 Percent

NEW YORK: HD is the “new normal,” according to Nielsen, but what remains unchanged is that penetration of hi-def TV sets exceeds consumption of HD content. Nielsen’s latest count indicates that more than three-quarters of U.S. households now have HDTV sets—up 14 percent from last year. More than 40 percent of those homes have more than one HD set, as well.

continued at: http://www.tvtechnol...-percent/215958
Do you think D* sees the writing on the wall and is making major room for more HD with all the shuffling of the satellite transponders?

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#292 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Do you think D* sees the writing on the wall and is making major room for more HD with all the shuffling of the satellite transponders?

I don't think any of that article has any bearing on what DirecTV has already had planned all along.

#293 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I posted a comment there but not sure if it will get approved..

This is in response to "As of May 2012, 61 percent of all primetime viewing was done on an HD set, but just a fraction of those sets were displaying content in true high-definition. "

Part of the problem is cable operators horrible channel numbering scheme. I still see people with HDTV's connected to HD set top boxes or DVR's simply just tuned to the wrong channel.

Why is it that cable operators don't simply downmap the HD signal onto the standard channel number if the software deems the set top box is capable of HD signals? I mean really why stick all the HD channels up on some super high channel number? A lot of people bring up the guide and don't even make it up that far. Also when searching for content to record on a DVR, 9 times out of 10 it shows the SD listing in there and they end up just picking it out of accident.

DirecTV does a nice job where HD channels are duplicated next to the SD channel number. The default option hides SD duplicates. So say you want channel 10 in HD, you simply type in 10. Not some crazy number in the upper 600's, 800's or over 1000 like some cable operators.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#294 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is in response to "As of May 2012, 61 percent of all primetime viewing was done on an HD set, but just a fraction of those sets were displaying content in true high-definition. "

Part of the problem is cable operators horrible channel numbering scheme. I still see people with HDTV's connected to HD set top boxes or DVR's simply just tuned to the wrong channel.

Why is it that cable operators don't simply downmap the HD signal onto the standard channel number if the software deems the set top box is capable of HD signals? I mean really why stick all the HD channels up on some super high channel number? A lot of people bring up the guide and don't even make it up that far. Also when searching for content to record on a DVR, 9 times out of 10 it shows the SD listing in there and they end up just picking it out of accident.

DirecTV does a nice job where HD channels are duplicated next to the SD channel number. The default option hides SD duplicates. So say you want channel 10 in HD, you simply type in 10. Not some crazy number in the upper 600's, 800's or over 1000 like some cable operators.

cable vision does that also rogers cable does it as well.

But I think the Motorola systems? or iguide can't do it.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#295 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

It wasn't that long ago in an FCC filing that DirecTV said that 60% of new subscribers got HD, which meant that 40% were starting up SD service.

#296 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

This is in response to "As of May 2012, 61 percent of all primetime viewing was done on an HD set, but just a fraction of those sets were displaying content in true high-definition."

Your comment now appears there.

And you made an excellent point.

My area cable providers, Comcast and WOW!, have a nonsensical numbering allocation for SD-vs-HD channels.

Using as examples CNN and Headline News:
  • Comcast: CNN (ch. 40) and CNN HD (ch. 213). Headline News (ch. 41) and Headline News HD (ch. 246).
  • WOW!: CNN (ch. 50) and CNN HD (ch. 246). Headline News (ch. 51) and Headline News HD (ch. 252).

I can't imagine, for subscribers of either service, why these numbers allocations aren't easily commited to memory.

#297 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I think everything should be in HD on all providers now.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#298 OFFLINE   lost4now

lost4now

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

+1:)

#299 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

If possible, I think we need an expert opinion from Sixto re: all the movement. What does it mean? Hopefully, we haven't seen the last of the HD additions for the year.

#300 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Your comment now appears there.

And you made an excellent point.

My area cable providers, Comcast and WOW!, have a nonsensical numbering allocation for SD-vs-HD channels.

Using as examples CNN and Headline News:

• Comcast: CNN (ch. 40) and CNN HD (ch. 213). Headline News (ch. 41) and Headline News HD (ch. 246).
  • WOW!: CNN (ch. 50) and CNN HD (ch. 246). Headline News (ch. 51) and Headline News HD (ch. 252).

I can't imagine, for subscribers of either service, why these numbers allocations aren't easily commited to memory.

My cable company is TWC, some of the channels appear at 3 different locations. A channel below 100 I guess for folks that dont have boxes, a digital SD channel and a digital HD channel. I printed the lineup once and it was 4 pages long. Geez.

spam firewall