Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

If possible, I think we need an expert opinion from Sixto re: all the movement. What does it mean? Hopefully, we haven't seen the last of the HD additions for the year.

Other than possible sports additions based on settlements with new RSN's, I'm starting to feel if we don't see something in test by Oct 31 (i.e. two weeks from yesterday), we probably are done for the year.

Having said that, it sure looks to me from Sixto's reports like they've made 8-9 new HD slots on the transponders the last couple weeks. Whether that is preparing for something imminent, or engineering just doing their thing with their new equipment as it comes in. . . I guess we'll see.

Edited by georule, 18 October 2012 - 03:03 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone else noticed that HGTV VOD now has HD content. Currently, there is only one older episode of House Hunters International but it is in HD, I downloaded it and it is indeed in 1080i and very good picture quality. Now, there is also 2 other episodes that say HD in the title but those are NOT HD. I also checked DIY, but no HD content showing up yet.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#303 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

My cable company is TWC, some of the channels appear at 3 different locations. A channel below 100 I guess for folks that dont have boxes, a digital SD channel and a digital HD channel. I printed the lineup once and it was 4 pages long. Geez.

Wow. Comcast around here (and they are pretty backward) had an analog channel and a digital channel overlaid under 100 years ago. You got whatever your TV/box could decipher.

Fios is almost all digital now but still have different channels for SD and HD. You tune then hit the C button to make sure you get HD. I think some Comcast boxes autotune to the HD channel without prompting.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#304 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I looked over the upcoming November Issue of Satellite DIRECT magazine and didn't see any new HD channels listed :(

As requested, I am no longer allowed to post the full magazine issue PDF link on here, and again I do understand the reasoning behind it. I am allowed to post snippets of information from the magazine issue.

DIRECTV Inside Scoop:

New this November:

• New! Enjoy your favorite networks in crystal clear HD.
    DIY Network Ch. 230 and ION Television East Ch. 305.
    Learn more at directv.com/hd
  • Get exclusive rewards from Viggle for watching DIRECTV!
    We’ll help you get started:
    Download the free Viggle app from the App Store or Google Play and
    enter promo code 'DIRECTV' during registration to get 4,000 bonus points!
    For more information, visit directv.com/viggle

Free Trials:
  • STARZ® and ENCORE® Free Trial November 21–25 on Channels 525–542
    Catch compelling original series and big hit movies like The Vow,
    Spartacus: Vengeance, The Muppets and more during the Thanksgiving
    Free Trial Weekend.
    Learn more at directv.com/starz
  • GSN Game Lounge Free Trial Nov 22–23 on Channel 110
    Enjoy your favorite games like 5 Card Slingo and Bejeweled 2 right on your TV.
    Learn more at directv.com/gamelounge

ION West & AXS.tv is now shown correctly at 306 & 340 respectively on there Channel Lineup.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#305 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Other than possible sports additions based on settlements with new RSN's, I'm starting to feel if we don't see something in test by Oct 31 (i.e. two weeks from yesterday), we probably are done for the year.

Having said that, it sure looks to me from Sixto's reports like they've made 8-9 new HD slots on the transponders the last couple weeks. Whether that is preparing for something imminent, or engineering just doing their thing with their new equipment as it comes in. . . I guess we'll see.

I don't know when exactly, but the Discovery Networks contract is supposed to be renegotiated before the end of the year. Hopefully that means The Hub in HD. The My Little Pony season 3 premiere is November 10th; I'd love to watch it in HD.

#306 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I don't know when exactly, but the Discovery Networks contract is supposed to be renegotiated before the end of the year. Hopefully that means The Hub in HD. The My Little Pony season 3 premiere is November 10th; I'd love to watch it in HD.

:lol::lol:

#307 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Funny, inside scoop for something that went public a month ago.

#308 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

To be fair the Mag that he's quoting only comes out once a month.

#309 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I looked over the upcoming November Issue of Satellite DIRECT magazine and didn't see any new HD channels listed :(

As requested, I am no longer allowed to post the full magazine issue PDF link on here, and again I do understand the reasoning behind it. I am allowed to post snippets of information from the magazine issue.

DIRECTV Inside Scoop:

New this November:

• New! Enjoy your favorite networks in crystal clear HD.
    DIY Network Ch. 230 and ION Television East Ch. 305.
    Learn more at directv.com/hd
  • Get exclusive rewards from Viggle for watching DIRECTV!
    We’ll help you get started:
    Download the free Viggle app from the App Store or Google Play and
    enter promo code 'DIRECTV' during registration to get 4,000 bonus points!
    For more information, visit directv.com/viggle

Free Trials:
  • STARZ® and ENCORE® Free Trial November 21–25 on Channels 525–542
    Catch compelling original series and big hit movies like The Vow,
    Spartacus: Vengeance, The Muppets and more during the Thanksgiving
    Free Trial Weekend.
    Learn more at directv.com/starz
  • GSN Game Lounge Free Trial Nov 22–23 on Channel 110
    Enjoy your favorite games like 5 Card Slingo and Bejeweled 2 right on your TV.
    Learn more at directv.com/gamelounge

ION West & AXS.tv is now shown correctly at 306 & 340 respectively on there Channel Lineup.

They don't want you to post it because they charge $20 per year to subscribe to it.

#310 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

The editors may not know any sooner than we do. They have to write the article, layout the magazine and then print/ship it during the routine monthly cycle. If the information comes out at just the wrong time, you may be 2 months late for the "news" to come out in the mag.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#311 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

If they can make space for more channels without hurting quality I can understand their doing so.

It's Always better to have spare capacity than not.

Think about having spare capacity. Now something unexpected happens to a transponder for example. They can pretty quick shift the affected channels to free bandwidth and not have to hurt quality.

I know I'm always happier if I have free space on the drives in my Computer. I also have a spare external drive. I buy ahead when they are on sale.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#312 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Think about having spare capacity. Now something unexpected happens to a transponder for example. They can pretty quick shift the affected channels to free bandwidth and not have to hurt quality.

IIRC they have spare/backup transponders/TWT's on each satellite so they don't need to shift channels around to other's just fire up the spare.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#313 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

MY WISHLIST

• CW HD-DNS (channels #394 & #395) :)
    While I will continue to hold out hope that it will come prior to the start of the new Fall season (October 2nd is when it starts for The CW), I don't expect them until D14.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1350762609

Seriously, DirecTV?!?!?!

That's just CRUEL!! :mad: :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• Guide1.jpg

#314 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

If they can make space for more channels without hurting quality I can understand their doing so.

It's Always better to have spare capacity than not.

I know I'm always happier if I have free space on the drives in my Computer. I also have a spare external drive. I buy ahead when they are on sale.

The propeller-beanie boys are beginning to wonder if something systemic is going on with D10, tho no conclusions have yet been reached. It does appear that D* is emptying the bird right now, relatively speaking. Given past reports of it running on a backup propulsion system, that is at least moderately concerning (tho not the only possible explanation).

http://www.dbstalk.c...=205621&page=25
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#315 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

The propeller-beanie boys are beginning to wonder if something systemic is going on with D10, tho no conclusions have yet been reached. It does appear that D* is emptying the bird right now, relatively speaking. Given past reports of it running on a backup propulsion system, that is at least moderately concerning (tho not the only possible explanation).

http://www.dbstalk.c...=205621&page=25

I'm not as much of a propeller head as some (not an actual rocket scientist), but I definitely do have concerns. We may hear something from DirecTV in the 3rd quarter conference call.

#316 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

HGTV & DIY VOD now both have a decent amount of HD content available. :)

#317 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

HGTV & DIY VOD now both have a decent amount of HD content available. :)

Good to know! DIY especially one of my favorite channels. I wonder if Food will do the same soon?

#318 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hey, to each their own. Some people even like this thing called "NFL", whatever that is. :D If My Little Pony is your thing, more power to ya! :D

Usually when these contract negotiations are taking place, HD carriage is discussed, but not an imminent addition. We saw this with Disney Jr. HD - it was added quickly in SD during the Viacom standoff, but it took another 5 weeks before the HD version was added. It takes a little more time to work that out.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#319 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hey, to each their own. Some people even like this thing called "NFL", whatever that is. :D If My Little Pony is your thing, more power to ya! :D

Usually when these contract negotiations are taking place, HD carriage is discussed, but not an imminent addition. We saw this with Disney Jr. HD - it was added quickly in SD during the Viacom standoff, but it took another 5 weeks before the HD version was added. It takes a little more time to work that out.

But was that extra 5 weeks due to contract negotiations or due to the technical aspects of putting the HD version up? I doubt we will ever know for sure.

My Little Ponies was much better in the early 80's than the current version is, and do not get me started on Strawberry Shortcake.

#320 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

It'd be a toss-up between the two options for me... :rolleyes:

My Little Ponies was much better in the early 80's than the current version is, and do not get me started on Strawberry Shortcake.

Granted, they're the '90s, but I'm REALLY digging TMNT on Nick!

Mikey cracks me up... !rolling

spam firewall