Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: ...

If quoted accurately by Swanni, Philip Goswitz must have meant "CONUS" Ka band capacity, not "local into local."

.... Does anyone else think it's weird that they're implying the KU signals will be used for 4K and the KA birds will be used for HD?

~Alan

Yes, particularly when transponder bandwidth for the DBS Ku band has long been established by international agreement at only 24 MHz for our region (ITU's AP 30/30A Region 2 Plan).

Unless they plan on changing the rules or something, they're contemplating to try and squeeze 4k TV through that?

Won't get many channels ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

If quoted accurately by Swanni, Philip Goswitz must have meant "CONUS" Ka band capacity, not "local into local."

Yeah... I suspected that was the case, or PG has no idea what he's talking about.

Yes, particularly when transponder bandwidth for the DBS Ku band has long been established by international agreement at only 24 MHz for our region (ITU's AP 30/30A Region 2 Plan).

Unless they plan on changing the rules or something, they're contemplating to try and squeeze 4k TV through that?

Won't get many channels ...

Using HVEC, what are your estimates/predictions on the difference between KU vs. KA?!

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

... Using HVEC, what are your estimates/predictions on the difference between KU vs. KA?!

~Alan

Might work, requiring all new equipment on both ends of course.

But the High Efficiency Video Coding ("HEVC") standard is new and all on paper as a draft standard. I'd have to see it in action first outside of vaporware.

I mean half the bit rate of (AVC/H.264) MPEG 4 with no perceptible loss in PQ?

I'll frankly believe it when I see it.

#24 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Here's my wish list:
MavTV
H2
Encore Action
Encore Drama
I wish VH1C was broadcast in HD

I wouldn't argue about adding more Encore in HD, but if I had a choice between that and adding the Epix channels, I'd take the Epix group. Different studio represented in the newest releases from what the other premiums have.

And Reelz, if it ever actually goes HD all the time would be welcome for some of their original series.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Might work, requiring all new equipment on both ends of course.

But the High Efficiency Video Coding ("HEVC") standard is new and all on paper as a draft standard. I'd have to see it in action first outside of vaporware.

I mean half the bit rate of (AVC/H.264) MPEG 4 with no perceptible loss in PQ?

I'll frankly believe it when I see it.

I believe it's been demo'ed. Supposedly... the first products are supposed to hit next year.

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

I believe it's been demo'ed. Supposedly... the first products are supposed to hit next year.

~Alan

Was basing my view on the recent 8/15/12 date of this article where the standard seems like its all still on paper.

http://www.bit-tech..../15/mpeg-hvec/1

#27 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

the hub is the only channel I watch that isn't in HD. Of course a decent amount of their programming is older stuff like Wonder Years and Alf, but the new programming like My Little Pony and Transformers would be great to have in HD.

Also, I'd watch G4 if that was available.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

the hub is the only channel I watch that isn't in HD. Of course a decent amount of their programming is older stuff like Wonder Years and Alf, but the new programming like My Little Pony and Transformers would be great to have in HD.

Also, I'd watch G4 if that was available.

But are you wanting the 2012 G4 or the 2013 rebranding?

#29 OFFLINE   twaller

twaller

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

H2 please. This would pretty much complete my list.

#30 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

H2 please. This would pretty much complete my list.

Very quiet lately. Hopefully, some HD news soon. H2, LMN, FMC, HLN, ID, or TVLAND would be welcome additions.

#31 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Other than the sports channels my #1 pick would be TV Land in HD. Wife would like the Style Channel.

#32 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I would like

H2
HLN
FMC
TV Land
The Hub
The Nicks (the ones we currently don't have in HD)
Cooking
and a CW-DNS for Alan.

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

FMC and TVLand would both be welcome HD additions.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#34 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

H2
Cooking Channel
OWN
TV-Land
And CW-DNS for Alan.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#35 OFFLINE   sabrewulf

sabrewulf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

LMN watch it all the time. Then HLN, H2, and I dont care about GSN but what the heck DirecTV owns 60% of it what gives.

#36 OFFLINE   rockdoc

rockdoc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

vh1 classic! old videos in high def. maybe i dont want it ....

#37 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm going to guess anything we don't get in October, won't be showing up until at least 2013.

So, with that timeframe in mind, I'll hope for H2, FMC, and TVLand in October (and would be pretty happy to get even one of them --as far as I'm concerned, it's been a very good year already). The fact that DirecTV Facebook has been "pimping" H2 with multiple posts lately, including full graphics and H2 logo, has me hoping that H2HD might actually be on the way in that timeframe.

Edited by georule, 01 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#38 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

I've got to agree with VH1 Classic although I don't think it is offered in HD.

How VH1 HD can have such sub-standard programming compared to VH1 Classic is beyond me. I could understand if I wanted to see the original MTV Unplugged episodes which were filmed in SD, but it's the later stuff that is only on VH1 Classic that I don't get. I don't understand why that stuff doesn't appear on VH1 HD.

For example, VH1 Classic has been showing a documentary on the making of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here . It was obviously put together for the album's recent re-release. That's got to be in HD, even though the aspect ratio is 1.33:1 as much of the film is archival footage. But does this documentary appear on VH1 HD? Nope.

Money has got to be the reason, some how, some way. "Let me tell you the name of the game, boys. It's called riding the gravy train."
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#39 OFFLINE   sabrewulf

sabrewulf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Very true VH1 Classic is broadcast in HD. I wouldnt mind adding it if it did though. And I so wish they would come out with a channel like the old TechTV was I miss that.

#40 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

This year has been pretty good so far. :)

I still want:

Cooking
Encores
FMC
GSN (60% owned by D*)
H2
HLN
Hub
IFC
Outdoor Channel
OuterMax
TV Land