Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

That is all that is available for the U.S. Reelz is releasing it to VOD as they show it. It has all been shown in Canada but not yet here.

I haven't been following the series much since it is in SD on the channel itself. But it seems like they are at 'part 3', but I find no mention of parts earlier than that. Is 'part 3' the 5th episode?

Of course, D* could just light up Reelz in HD and we wouldn't have to have this discussion! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yeah and you said they have none, so you were wrong. :P

Yep... I was wrong.

I flushed my Guide cache earlier before looking, and though I could get to the Reelz VOD channel, it apparently hadn't fully populated yet... because all I could see at the time was several installments of "World Without End."

#383 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

In the 'series' link on Reelz VOD, that is all there is of that series.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#384 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

If they don't have an HD feed, why would they produce That Metal Show in HD???:confused:

Didn't TMS used to air on VH1?

It doesn't matter though. It's a production thing. Chiller, Cloo, GAC, NickToons, etc. have HD programming, but no HD channel. This programming might be found in HD elsewhere (overseas, Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, etc.), and it's great for the future when these channels actually do start an HD channel.

#385 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

If they don't have an HD feed, why would they produce That Metal Show in HD???:confused:

I can't answer that question. I, likely, have as little input to the process as you.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#386 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Why not? Obviously they distribute it via VOD. And it is available for their other channels in HD and for the future reruns.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#387 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

That makes no sense. They have it all backwards.

They do? One show in HD versus a whole channel. Hmm. They'd need to do it in HD anyway if they had a linear channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#388 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Didn't TMS used to air on VH1?

Not to my recollection. I have watched the show since the first episode.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#389 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

How?!

Most productions companies either film in HD or convert/edit in HD now.

When DirecTV first started adding tons of HD (2007, right?), many of the channels might have had only one or two programs on a week in HD. Some channels (Fuel, I think was one) simply didn't have ANY HD programming at the time.

By going ahead and producing this programming in HD, they can have an archive of HD programming for future reruns or syndication sales, as well as for potential overseas customers, Blu-ray customers, iTunes customers, etc., or in this case, VOD, in the present.

AMC started out by offering "Mad Men" in HD via VOD prior to launching an HD channel. They later released it to Blu-ray as well as repeated it on AMC-HD. "Stargate Atlantis" was filmed in HD from the start, and shown in HD in Canada (among possibly other countries), but it took a while before Sci-Fi (now Syfy) had an HD channel to show it here in the states. The complete series is now available on Blu-ray, and it aired in syndication on multiple channels.

#390 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

If you look through the Full Episodes of 'That Metal Show' on VH1.com here it appears they began shooting in HD 16:9 with season 9 (Ep 901) all the episodes from 810 and older are 4:3.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#391 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

I haven't been following the series much since it is in SD on the channel itself. But it seems like they are at 'part 3', but I find no mention of parts earlier than that. Is 'part 3' the 5th episode?

Of course, D* could just light up Reelz in HD and we wouldn't have to have this discussion! :)

The channel shows it in 2hr segments and the vod has it in 1hr parts. Part one on the channel is actually episodes 1 and 2 on the vod.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#392 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

It makes perfect sense.
You shoot and edit HD and at the end you can produce whatever format you deliver in (Bluray, SD, WMV, Qt, Mp4 etc). If you are shooting SD you are doing a disservice to everyone. The content will be shown for years/decades to come so having it available in the best quality is smart.

Everything we shoot is HD, even though we have only one client that wants us to deliver in HD. If the others come back and want to update to HD you do not want to have to tell them "sorry we shot SD in 2012 so we have to start all over again."

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#393 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

It makes perfect sense.
You shoot and edit HD and at the end you can produce whatever format you deliver in (Bluray, SD, WMV, Qt, Mp4 etc). If you are shooting SD you are doing a disservice to everyone. The content will be shown for years/decades to come so having it available in the best quality is smart.

Everything we shoot is HD, even though we have only one client that wants us to deliver in HD. If the others come back and want to update to HD you do not want to have to tell them "sorry we shot SD in 2012 so we have to start all over again."

Heh. I bet it's like still photography: Way easier to downrez an image than to uprez it! Some people will maintain you can't ever really uprez an image, though you can make a blow up look better with skill and good techniques.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#394 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

No it makes perfect sense. Perhaps they aren't ready to launch a HD version of the station yet, as that involves a lot of money and a lot of expensive equipment.

If you make your own productions however, or hire a production company to do the production specifically for you (which is what many channels do anyways) they probably already have HD cameras and thus a HD source. That HD source can not only be used to put on a HD television channel, but it can also be used to produce blu-ray discs, DVD discs, or on-demand in HD. Furthermore, it will guarantee them HD versions when they want to re-run said program in 5 years when they might have a HD station. (Or: they can sell the production to another channel that is in HD)

Hell, many movie studios are already filming in 4kHD right now. As far back as 2009 some Hollywood studios (District 9 is one movie I know) started filming in 4kHD already, and that number has only increased. By the time 4kHD will become mainstream to consumers, they have material to show from years prior.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#395 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Converting from HD widescreen to SD isn't as easy as it sounds. Capping the color space and making sure that everything can be recognized after it is all done takes considerable practice. I shoot at 720p and the result of simple down-conversion that our local Comcast does looks awful.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#396 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Converting from HD widescreen to SD isn't as easy as it sounds.

Unless you just use the ESPN approach and letterbox the HD programming in a 4:3 screen. That's easy and doesn't even need conversion. At least, not for broadcasting.... DVD/VHS is a different matter.

As a matter of fact, back when I had TWC Cable I had a HD-DVR, but still a SD television connected with a yellow video cable (and red/white for sound). If I switched to the HD channels, (which as you know with cable are a different channel number), they would show up perfectly, just like ESPN SD does.... widescreen, with black bars on bottom/top. I often ended up watching those as the quality was better and it looked better even on my SD TV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#397 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

For those who like their VOD with HD resolution... well, you can be a little happier! :D

#398 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

That's easy and doesn't even need conversion.

There's a whole lot of fractional scaling going on as well as figuring out what to do with the several million NTSC "illegal" colors. Of course if PQ isn't of any interest, you just hammer the rectangular peg into the relatively square hole.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#399 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Converting from HD widescreen to SD isn't as easy as it sounds. Capping the color space and making sure that everything can be recognized after it is all done takes considerable practice. I shoot at 720p and the result of simple down-conversion that our local Comcast does looks awful.

I am not sure what troubles they are having with it, but it works perfectly on our Avid Symphony Nitris DX system. No tweaking needed the system handles it in real time. We shoot everything in 1080i and deliver bluray, SD DVD, and wmv or mp4 in whatever size & data rate the customer wants and it always looks great (even for SD). Never trust somebody else with your stuff, convert it yourself.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#400 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

There's a whole lot of fractional scaling going on as well as figuring out what to do with the several million NTSC "illegal" colors. Of course if PQ isn't of any interest, you just hammer the rectangular peg into the relatively square hole.

Why would there be scaling with letterboxing?

And why wouldn't there be established charts to convert hues from one color space to another?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall