Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Am hoping directv adds the spanish sports channels in hd like fox deportes, espn deportes, bein in spanish they have the english bein in hd why can't they have the spanish one in hd and time warner cable has all this channels in hd

Edited by Robin112, 10 November 2012 - 08:25 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#482 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Am hoping directv adds the spanish sports channels in hd like fox deportes, espn deportes, bein in spanish they have the english bein in hd why can't they have the spanish one in hd and time warner cable has all this channels in hd

was a great year, but there are still many HD channels about 15 or more.

#483 OFFLINE   BLMN

BLMN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouthern NH

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

there is some movement on 119, some of the Chinese internationals are being moved to 95 and some channels are being removed from dtv lineup for good. so maybe a chance for those you said in HD by next year ?

TV Models: Mitsubishi WD-65C9, WD-82738 + 3DC-1000 Kit.

TV Provider: Directv (Slimline 5 Dish + World Direct Dish), Cinema Connection Kit (Wired), 2 HR24-500 Receivers

Gaming/Blu-ray: PS3 First Gen (FAT) 60GB, PS4 Launch Edition

Streaming: Roku 2 XS

Audio/DVD: Onkyo HTS-9400THX, Oppo DV-980H

#484 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

When did channels get gender assignments?

Spike and TruTV are geared towards younger men, 18-40 or something like that.

We and Lifetime are geared towards women, and one could say that about OWN as well.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#485 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Even if we get no more new HD this year I think 2012 should be considered a good one for DirecTV HD customers. Not a ton of adds but some good quality.

Agreed.

I enjoyed my Graham Norton Show in HD last night on BBC America! :grin:
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#486 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Agreed.

I enjoyed my Graham Norton Show in HD last night on BBC America! :grin:

And the Stig is more ruggedly handsome in hd. :heybaby:

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#487 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

And the Stig is more ruggedly handsome in hd. :heybaby:

Oh yeah! :D

I have been watching some older (2009-ish and up, before that it wasn't really in HD just upconverted) episodes, and they are brilliant in HD. Much more enjoyable.

I am the Stig.

#488 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I got a feeling some channels will be coming online in a couple of days. Just in time for a certain holiday.
Turkey HD
Stuffing HD
Roasted Yams HD
Pie HD
Mashed potatoes HD

#489 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

If they don't put on the cranberry channel, fergeddddabodddit. :D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#490 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 953 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

We have approximately six weeks remaining in this current year of 2012.

Does anyone think, during this period, we'll get at least one more national basic-cable channel in HD?

#491 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

I got a feeling some channels will be coming online in a couple of days. Just in time for a certain holiday.
Turkey HD
Stuffing HD
Roasted Yams HD
Pie HD
Mashed potatoes HD

If they don't put on the cranberry channel, fergeddddabodddit. :D

How about the Relish Dish channel (Now in HD).

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#492 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Turkey HD
Stuffing HD
Roasted Yams HD
Pie HD
Mashed potatoes HD

While you can buy the DVD for $5 at the discount store, we are probably going hear complaints about NO YULE LOG CHANNEL in HD come December. :D

I am the Stig.

#493 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

While you can buy the DVD for $5 at the discount store, we are probably going hear complaints about NO YULE LOG CHANNEL in HD come December. :D

Oh, yeah! Now, does your post count as the first one?? :lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#494 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

We have approximately six weeks remaining in this current year of 2012.

Does anyone think, during this period, we'll get at least one more national basic-cable channel in HD?

I would typically say 'no' at this point. . . but the caveat is there is a new factor not present in previous years --we've got some recent add HD VoD channels that don't have the linear channel in HD yet. But still, I'd say the weight of probabilities is 'no' between here and the end of the year.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#495 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Turkey HD
Stuffing HD
Roasted Yams HD
Pie HD
Mashed potatoes HD

and don't forget: cranberry sauce HD

#496 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

and don't forget: cranberry sauce HD

Canned and homemade.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#497 OFFLINE   juventuz

juventuz

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

I've currently got both DirecTV (the Family Package) and the Surf and View package from my local Time Warner Cable. It used to be cheaper for me than having the Premier from D* and just RR from TWC. Now that TWC raised my rates $20 a month I was thinking of going back to DirecTV fulltime.

I made a little spreadsheet comparison to see what HD channels I'd be losing and I was amazed at the list. I'd be losing 39 HD channels by leaving TWC. I'd gain 12 HD channels (if I got the Premier) that aren't available on DirecTV, but most of them are premium movie channels and for me that's negligible.

The biggest channels that I'd lose (as in not HD) are The Hub HD, which my kids love watching and yes they can tell the difference between HD and SD, H2 HD, IFC HD, HLN HD, Gol TV HD, beIN Sport n HD, Cooking Channel HD, and G4 HD. There are a few others that I'll occasionally watch, but am not concerned about.

Coupled with the fact that I'd be losing an HD DVR as well and I can't get the Genie yet I'm holding off making the switch for now. Hopefully D* starts adding more HD, as long as they have the ability that is.

#498 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I know the implications of HD VOD on such channels as H2 and Cooking have been discussed but forgive an unknowing question: does HD on-demand availability translate into likely availability on the linear channel, so that our access to such programming now wholly resides within DirecTV’s discretion (that is, it already has consummated all necessary HD-related contracts with content providers)?

#499 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I know the implications of HD VOD on such channels as H2 and Cooking have been discussed but forgive an unknowing question: does HD on-demand availability translate into likely availability on the linear channel, so that our access to such programming now wholly resides within DirecTV’s discretion (that is, it already has consummated all necessary HD-related contracts with content providers)?

I don't think there's any way to answer that question.

However, I doubt it would a discretion issue. If we assume they have rights then either, it's waiting for some specific engineering event/issue, or they need something finalized.

It's all a guess but I can't see many situations where DIRECTV would hold off a national channel. We don't even know if they've got the rights and won't until it's live/announces.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#500 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Glad to see TWCSN HD finally added. Still hoping for more basic HD. HLN,LMN,H2, FMC etc. would be nice additions. What are the chances of more additions this year or is that just wishful thinking?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...