Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Didm't satrracer indicate we be getting more hd channels in about two weeks or so.

I think he said "soon", without a specific time frame.

Traditionally, the last 2 months of the year haven't been that interesting with regards to new HD. There is the holidays, people are all working on their end-of-year and new-year budgets, often companies are spending less in the last month of the year and push things off to January for fiscal reasons, etc....

I don't think we should expect that much anymore for the remainder of the year, given what we have already gotten this year. Maybe they will fix a few holes in the premium lineup.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

i'm glad to see alan and tony and a few more put have woke up.

#623 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

It's not exactly what they add, but what's available to add. Like I had mentioned above, the Nashville Network has an HD feed, as does Reelz. I think there is one MAX channel that is in HD, that has not been added. Where can some of the other favorites be found in HD? Does anyone else carry a TVLand HD feed? What about H2 and Headline News? Do they exist, somewhere for Directv to uplink from?

#624 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

It's not exactly what they add, but what's available to add. Like I had mentioned above, the Nashville Network has an HD feed, as does Reelz. I think there is one MAX channel that is in HD, that has not been added. Where can some of the other favorites be found in HD? Does anyone else carry a TVLand HD feed? What about H2 and Headline News? Do they exist, somewhere for Directv to uplink from?

Yes, there's a list in the 3rd post of the thread. It hasn't been updated since October and is missing some recent launches that DirecTV picked up like TWC Sportsnet, but it should give you a general idea of what's out there. Also not on the list yet as a potential new channel is Military Channel HD, which Discovery launched yesterday.

As for the Nashville Network, are they even making themselves available directly to cable/satellite providers or are they going the digital subchannel route?

Edited by KyL416, 02 December 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#625 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

I think he said "soon", without a specific time frame.

Traditionally, the last 2 months of the year haven't been that interesting with regards to new HD. There is the holidays, people are all working on their end-of-year and new-year budgets, often companies are spending less in the last month of the year and push things off to January for fiscal reasons, etc....

I don't think we should expect that much anymore for the remainder of the year, given what we have already gotten this year. Maybe they will fix a few holes in the premium lineup.

This quoted post from maartena is also what I'm thinking. That for this final month of 2012, there will be no additions in HD. Only potential exception I think, if a contractual agreement were to materialize, is with Pac-12 Network HD.

On the topic of other categories, the premium-movie programming of expansion of the carried Encore screens will probably manifest in the first quarter of 2013. (The new contract, between Starz Entertainment LLC and DirecTV, was reportedly reached in April 2012.) If not by then, I suppose it would be within the first half of 2013.

When it comes to the national basic-cable category (carried in channels ranges of the 200s and 300s, mostly, along with a few more further down), I would guess no more than ten would get added during 2013. That it is going to take the launching of D14 to really come closer to satisfying those wanting the basic-cable lineup updated in HD on DirecTV.

Review: DirecTV HD Added During 2012
230 DIY Network HD
236 E! Entertainment Television HD
246 truTV HD
256 Turner Classic Movies HD
264 BBC America HD
283 Nat Geo Wild HD
289 Disney Junior HD

305 Ion Television—East HD
458 Time Warner Cable Deportes HD
620 beIN Sport HD
691 Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD

And then…

Speculation/Anticipation: Potential Next Group of HD [2013…]
204 Headline News HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
235 Style Network HD
253 LMN HD
271 H2 HD
285 Investigation Discovery HD
294 The Hub HD
304 TV Land HD

533 RetroPlex HD
534 IndiePlex HD

Category of Necessity [Pending Agreements]
600s Pac-12 Network HD
600s Comcast Houston HD

#626 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

i'm glad to see alan and tony and a few more put have woke up.

I woke up to tell you I'm taking a nap. :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#627 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Go back to sleep.

#628 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

. . .
And then…

Speculation/Anticipation: Potential Next Group of HD [2013…]
204 Headline News HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
235 Style Network HD
253 LMN HD
271 H2 HD
285 Investigation Discovery HD
294 The Hub HD
304 TV Land HD

533 RetroPlex HD
534 IndiePlex HD

Category of Necessity [Pending Agreements]
600s Pac-12 Network HD
600s Comcast Houston HD

I think Universal Sports and WE also will come in 2013 and before HLN, RetroPlex, or IndiPlex.

#629 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I think Universal Sports and WE also will come in 2013 and before HLN, RetroPlex, or IndiPlex.

I considered Universal Sports HD. I just did not to want to put out some big list. (I've decided to do any of that sparingly.) I think, really, that H2 HD and Cooking Channel HD are pretty good bets. But I did have to mention the expansion of the carried Encore screens due to last spring's new contractual agreement. I don't picture more than a year passing before it is implemented. As for We TV HD, I look at that along with other AMC Networks' programming — IFC HD and Fuse HD (in the U.S., apparently there is still no Sundance Channel HD) — and, well, others spring to mind ahead of that. And, yes, I am keeping in mind there being select programming from a few SD-only-carried programmers, what with some of their HD content now available on DirecTV's On Demand.

#630 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think, really, that H2 HD and Cooking Channel HD are pretty good bets.

Agreed. Anything that got VoD HD added is a good bet, in my book. The content provider wants their ad income, and I find it difficult to believe they'd agree to an indefinite provding of HD VoD without assurances that the linear HD channel would be appearing in a reasonable timeframe as well.

As a consumer, while I like the option for VoD, and use it frequently, sometimes I'd still prefer to be able to DVR from the live channel. For one thing, VoD has expiration dates on it, and it will disapear from your DVR when that expiration date is hit. So if for whatever reason you want a particular movie or series ep to stay on your DVR indefinitely, then recording from live and not VoD is necessary.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#631 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

And I don't anticipate anything in December, so nothing to talk about.

Same with Dish..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#632 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Same with Dish..

...we know.
DTV = Digital Television

#633 ONLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,811 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yes, there's a list in the 3rd post of the thread. It hasn't been updated since October and is missing some recent launches that DirecTV picked up like TWC Sportsnet, but it should give you a general idea of what's out there. Also not on the list yet as a potential new channel is Military Channel HD, which Discovery launched yesterday.

I thought I had taken off TWC SportsNet... oh well, it's off now.

Military Channel HD is now available?! This the one that DirecTV carries in SD?

#634 ONLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

As for We TV HD, I look at that along with other AMC Networks' programming — IFC HD and Fuse HD (in the U.S., apparently there is still no Sundance Channel HD) — and, well, others spring to mind ahead of that. And, yes, I am keeping in mind there being select programming from a few SD-only-carried programmers, what with some of their HD content now available on DirecTV's On Demand.

Time Warner Cable carries Sundance Channel in HD in Manhattan.

#635 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Military Channel HD is now available?! This the one that DirecTV carries in SD?

Yeah it's only available in SD on channel 287, Discovery launched the HD feed on Saturday.

You also need to remove Fox Sports New Orleans.

#636 ONLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yeah it's only available in SD on channel 287, Discovery launched the HD feed on Saturday.

You also need to remove Fox Sports New Orleans.

I added Military Channel, deleted FSNO, and highlighted a few channels in blue that have HD VOD content available. I only did a few as I could only remember some off the top of my head...

#637 ONLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Speaking of HD VOD....

ABC On Demand had an episode of "The Neighbors" with an HD tag associated with it. When I downloaded it to verify it was actually HD, it was SD only though...

#638 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

When was the last time D* added a national HD channel that people actually watched? Doesn't look like anything will happen in Q4. Hoping for something in Q1 2013.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#639 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

When was the last time D* added a national HD channel that people actually watched?

All the national HD channels they added in 2012 have viewership greater than zero.

Just because you don't watch them...
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#640 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

When was the last time D* added a national HD channel that people actually watched? Doesn't look like anything will happen in Q4. Hoping for something in Q1 2013.

Uh. This year. Bbca. DIY. E! Nat geo wild. Tcm.

I'd say their track record shows that they typically pick ones people watch.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...