Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Finally we know exactly what "SOON" means: 2016.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

They didn't say they would deliver the HD versions of all channels, only that all channels will be delivered VIA HD. They even mentioned "up-conversion" of SD. This is simply the long awaited phase out of duplicate HD/SD delivery. All the SD channels that have HD duplicates will be eliminated, and the remaining SD only channels (or channels for which the HD contract is yet to be signed) will be "upconverted" so they can be fed through the stat-mux devices along with HD channels. This would free up most of the Ku bandwidth on 101/110/119.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#63 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

The Nicks (the ones we currently don't have in HD)

I think the only Nick channel we don't currently have in HD is Nickelodeon West...

I've got to agree with VH1 Classic although I don't think it is offered in HD.

To my knowledge, you are correct...

• Fox Movie Channel (when available in HD)
  • Telemundo DNS

Fox Movie Channel is already available in HD...
I do not believe that DNS rules apply to Telemundo...

• TVLand (don't know what is on HD in that channel)

As for TV Land, I don't know what is in HD on that channel either aside from their original scripted lineup (which continues to grow). A considerable amount of their programming is available in HD, but that doesn't mean they offer it that way...

~Alan

#64 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

They didn't say they would deliver the HD versions of all channels, only that all channels will be delivered VIA HD. They even mentioned "up-conversion" of SD. This is simply the long awaited phase out of duplicate HD/SD delivery. All the SD channels that have HD duplicates will be eliminated, and the remaining SD only channels (or channels for which the HD contract is yet to be signed) will be "upconverted" so they can be fed through the stat-mux devices along with HD channels. This would free up most of the Ku bandwidth on 101/110/119.

Well hopefully the unconverted SD will be a noticeable improvement if that's all we get.

#65 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think the only Nick channel we don't currently have in HD is Nickelodeon West...

~Alan

ahhh.. i didn't realize that Viacom didn't offer Nick Toons, Teen Nick, and Nick Jr in HD yet.

#66 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Also, I'd watch G4 if that was available.

It might become available again at some point.... if the re-branding is successful. But it won't be the G4 that you know. G4 was great in like 2005 or so.... when it was still a TV station for nerds and they still had all the TechTV stuff. It really went nothing but downhill from there.

In a few months they will rebrand the station to something that is "more polished", but has much less tech/game affiliation than it has now. They claim to have "some programming that stays true to its roots", but I am guessing they will just throw a lot of reality shows at it, and go the way of History Channel with Pawn Stars and Counting Cars. Not that those are bad shows, I enjoy them, but the channel really shouldn't be called "History Channel" any more.

In my opinion, there is TOO MUCH competition. There are three or four "pawn" shows, there are three or four "tow" shows, there are three or four "pickers" type shows, a variety of "cops" type shows, and they are full of completely scripted situations. Basically, one network thinks of a concept, and 2 or 3 other networks are going to do the exact same thing. Different city, different people, slightly altered format, but the same stuff.

It's what's popular right now, and I think G4 will probably go the same way.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#67 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I do not believe that DNS rules apply to Telemundo...

No they don't. You can get Telemundo on the Spanish package in SD. Our local Telemundo is in HD, but I would not be blacked out from the national SD feed if I got the Spanish package.

Wanting Telemundo E or W in HD is a good HD request though, I can see a demand for that as not every market has a local Telemundo affiliate.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#68 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Which would mean they'd have to swap out all the SD boxes for HD, like they do for MPEG4 markets now, right?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. They have the plan to offer all channels (that have HD available) in HD by 2016. It does not mean they won't offer all channels in SD still, and it also does not mean people with older boxes are forced to upgrade.

DirecTV is launching 2 new satellites in 2014 and 2015 (and another one that hasn't been planned yet some time after that), so by 2016 they would have the capacity to offer all channels in HD (that are available in HD) and still maintain all the SD channels, even if they have to offload some capacity from older, due to be retired satellites on to the new ones.

I am the Stig.

#69 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Wanting Telemundo E or W in HD is a good HD request though, I can see a demand for that as not every market has a local Telemundo affiliate.

I helped a relative move to Columbus, OH just recently. There isn't a telemundo affiliate but the network feed is available on the spanish package in time warner cable and of course D* and E*. The same applies for Pittsburgh.

#70 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Does anyone else think it's weird that they're implying the KU signals will be used for 4K and the KA birds will be used for HD?

That CONUS HD is going to require at least two full slots is pretty much not up for debate. Since they've effectively abandoned 110W and 119W doesn't represent much bandwidth, I would imagine that they're going to move 119W to 101W and fill it out with other stuff (like 4K).

Ku would surely be better for reliability, but that's not the way DIRECTV has set themselves up. Ka does offer the major bonus of very tightly confined spot beams but I'm not entirely convinced that the recent upswing local channels is going to last very long. The overhead is likely low, but the ad revenues are not getting any easier to come by; somewhat reminiscent of the explosion of competing phone books in some areas.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#71 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

It does not mean they won't offer all channels in SD still, and it also does not mean people with older boxes are forced to upgrade.

In view of the fact that most major cable systems are going to be all digital within a year or so, I would expect that there won't be much justification for not forcing the conversion to MPEG4. DIRECTV and DISH might drag it out for a while, but it really isn't in anyone's best interest to cling to MPEG2 or SD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#72 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

---Directv does not offer Univision Deportes Network. I believe its only offered by Dish, Fios and ATT.

I changed it...

---Galavision should be on this list. Its only offered in SD.

Already in the list, but a different location. Galavision is provided on 101° to all customers.

---Telemundo (National East and West) are not offered in HD by Directv but local Telemundo affiliates are offered in HD in some markets.

Yeah... the stations listed are the national feeds in the 400s... I added a statement on that... may change my wording later.

~Alan

#73 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I don't see it that way.

DirecTV could easily move the SD channels over to the KA birds and broadcast them in MPEG4 SD.

"Upconverting" already crappy PQ SD channels to "faux" HD would, IMHO, make the channels look worse than simply offering them in MPEG4 SD.

My prediction... if there's any truth to this statement, is that sometime in 2016... all channels that DirecTV currently offers in SD with an HD feed available will be offered in HD... providing DirecTV can come to an agreement with the respective companies. Those with SD-only feeds, or those DirecTV is unable to come to an agreement with, will be in MPEG4 SD.

~Alan

#74 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well this is certainly interesting information...care of TVPredictions.com:

Sounds like they figure to have more than enough bandwidth after the next sat launch, and till then its more of pick and choose. It also sounds like he's talking about converting everyone to mpeg4 equipment over the next four years or so. I see that beginning in a couple years as they try and move people to genies.

I'd guess they will not get everyone off mpeg2 by 2016, but will have moved enough markets to have a channel or two of 4k

#75 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

No, it doesn't mean that at all. They have the plan to offer all channels (that have HD available) in HD by 2016. It does not mean they won't offer all channels in SD still, and it also does not mean people with older boxes are forced to upgrade.

DirecTV is launching 2 new satellites in 2014 and 2015 (and another one that hasn't been planned yet some time after that), so by 2016 they would have the capacity to offer all channels in HD (that are available in HD) and still maintain all the SD channels, even if they have to offload some capacity from older, due to be retired satellites on to the new ones.

Read that again, he specifically says talks about freeing up the bandwidth taken up by sd channels for use for 4k channels. I think the new stas are all about getting every markets lil and all other channels in Hi Definition so they can begin the conversion.

#76 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I would like

The Nicks (the ones we currently don't have in HD) …

Nick Jr. HD
TV Land HD

[There is the west-coast feed of Nickelodeon in high definition.]

They're owned by Viacom which also now has MTV2 HD.

#77 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yup.

Those are just the kinds of details people can't skip over in reading such "announcements".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#78 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'd guess they will not get everyone off mpeg2 by 2016, but will have moved enough markets to have a channel or two of 4k

I wonder if we'll start seeing space freed up by dropping the MPEG2 SD feeds of lower rated channels... and yes, I realize this is already happening.

~Alan

#79 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

So are we voting in the poll?

#80 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I wonder if we'll start seeing space freed up by dropping the MPEG2 SD feeds of lower rated channels... and yes, I realize this is already happening.

~Alan

I think when they do start the move, it will be like they did when the ended mpeg2 Hi Definition. They will start by moving sports plans etc, and then by city, more so than simply ovine random national channels.

spam firewall