Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I think when they do start the move, it will be like they did when the ended mpeg2 Hi Definition. They will start by moving sports plans etc, and then by city, more so than simply ovine random national channels.

They've already started with some sports channels like NASCAR, UEFA, and like you, I expect some of the sports packages to be transferred over first.

... but I'm intrigued by their plans beyond them. HBO? Cinemax?! Starz?! Some of the LiL markets on 119 are smaller and less expensive to transfer over, so will they go that route, or will we see more aggressive moves?

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

They've already started with some sports channels like NASCAR, UEFA, and like you, I expect some of the sports packages to be transferred over first.

... but I'm intrigued by their plans beyond them. HBO? Cinemax?! Starz?! Some of the LiL markets on 119 are smaller and less expensive to transfer over, so will they go that route, or will we see more aggressive moves?

~Alan

I was unaware the NASCAR was only in Hi Definition. Interesting.

#83 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Here is the source of where Swanni originally received the info from --> DirecTV commits to Ultra-HDTV

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#84 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Here is the source of where Swanni originally received the info from --> DirecTV commits to Ultra-HDTV

And I think they already announced 2 years ago they would be "ready" for Ultra HD, so they are now announcing that they are indeed preparing for it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#85 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Read that again, he specifically says talks about freeing up the bandwidth taken up by sd channels for use for 4k channels. I think the new stas are all about getting every markets lil and all other channels in Hi Definition so they can begin the conversion.

I see now.... I should probably read better. :D

Still, I think they will convert to HD first on the new D14 and D15 satellites, but not yet immediately drop SD. They can pretty much keep SD going until the first Ultra-HD broadcasts are launched, and then - perhaps also as an incentive to SD customers that still exist by then - start dropping 20% of all SD, and launch a number of Ultra-HD stations. They don't have to drop everything all at once, and it is probably smart to do it that way so they can gradually convert everyone. Drop some, back-fill it with Ultra HD. - Now some customers will start to migrate. Drop some more, backfill with Ultra HD, now more customers will start to migrated. Etc, etc, etc.... until you reach the bare basics with SD to provide to the last hold outs.

And you can continue doing that as long as the SD bandwidth is not immediately needed.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#86 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I was unaware the NASCAR was only in Hi Definition. Interesting.

The HOTPASS channels require MPEG4 equipment... I think....

~Alan

#87 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

The HOTPASS channels require MPEG4 equipment... I think....

~Alan

Is there any mpeg2 hd left on directv?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#88 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Is there any mpeg2 hd left on directv?

No... but there is MPEG2 SD left...

~Alan

#89 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Have no mo' wants. Just two it would be nice.

And those two are

• H2
  • MILT

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#90 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I see now.... I should probably read better. :D

Still, I think they will convert to HD first on the new D14 and D15 satellites, but not yet immediately drop SD.

IF this is indeed their plan, I see a slow gradual change as well.

However... I believe we'll see more results of this plan prior to D14 being put into action.... whether it's sports channels, premium channels, local markets, etc.

~Alan

#91 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Well marketing would luv to advertise an all HD system. The first sat system there is going to strike gold.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#92 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well marketing would luv to advertise an all HD system. The first sat system there is going to strike gold.

Technically VOOM was first there, but they had some oddball channels and not enough bandwidth to ever make it viable to overtake Dish/DirecTV.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#93 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

I wonder how many Ultra HD channels will fit on a transponder? I remember when they could only put two to a transponder, in the early days. What are they up to currently? 5? 6? I wonder what technology they will have, in 2016, to make it viable.

#94 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I wonder how many Ultra HD channels will fit on a transponder? I remember when they could only put two to a transponder, in the early days. What are they up to currently? 5? 6? I wonder what technology they will have, in 2016, to make it viable.

They will probably start with a handful of Ultra HD channels like they are doing with 3D. Today's 4K sets are in the $25,000.00 price range. The average consumer doesn't have that type of buying power. So until these sets come down to a consumer affordable price the demand for Ultra HD will be limited.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#95 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

IF this is indeed their plan, I see a slow gradual change as well.

However... I believe we'll see more results of this plan prior to D14 being put into action.... whether it's sports channels, premium channels, local markets, etc.

~Alan

I think the first step in the conversion to all mpeg4, which will mean all hd capable equipment, will be no longer selling any sd equipment to new subscribers, only hd equipment, and I think that is coming soon, very very soon. We will see though. Some of it will depend on how much more inventory they have sitting around right now.

#96 OFFLINE   Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Fox Soccer Plus in full time would be awesome. The rest of the premiums in HD like HBO Family West, The Movie Channel West, OuterMax, Encore Channels, Flix, Sundance, IFC, All Epix Channels. Others that I want include H2, Cooking Channel, Bloomberg, NASA, Fuse, Longhorn, Pac-12, and Time Warner Sports Network. Lastly C-SPAN 1,2,3, Fox Movie Channel, and Lifetime Movie Network later on.
FR - Mitsubishi 75" Den - Mitsubishi 65" BR 1 - Mitsubishi 55" BR 2 - Mitsubishi 46"
4 x HR24 - CINEMA Connection Kit – NFL Remote - Protection Plan
Premier Package - HD Extra Pack - Fox Soccer Plus - GSN Game Lounge
Blizzcon - NFL Sunday Ticket - NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go - MLS Direct Kick
1/2 Seasons: MLB Extra Innings - NBA League Pass
ESPN: GamePlan, FullCourt Via ESPN3 - Windstream: Basic Cable - 24 Mbps DSL - Phone
Netflix - Hulu Plus - Crunchyroll - Amazon Prime - NHL GameCenter Live
Music Unlimited/Spotify - Pandora One - SiriusXM Online

#97 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

So if 4K starts to take hold in 2016 what's the over/under on some number of the posters here starting to call HDTV "unwatchable"?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#98 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

So if 4K starts to take hold in 2016 what's the over/under on some number of the posters here starting to call HDTV "unwatchable"?

2016 is the target year to move all channels to HD, it does not mean that 4k launches by then, it only means that DirecTV is making room for it.

It is estimated there may be some commercial broadcasting in 4k by 2016, but I have also heard estimates of 2018. How many stations will convert to 4k? Who knows.... I am thinking it will start with some sports, then maybe some of the broadcast networks, and then channels like Discovery, perhaps HBO.

As far as people complaining..... there will always be complainers. :D

I am the Stig.

#99 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

CURRENTLY, and I put that in CAPS on purpose, a 4k HD feed takes about 100 Mbps in testing scenarios, but that is only lightly compressed and served more as a showcase than anything else.

4k HD is basically, using Clinton's arithmetic, 4 1920x1080 resolution screens in a 2x2 square, resolution wise. One could then surmise that if a current HD station on DirecTV takes roughly 6.5-7 Mbps in MPEG4 compression, that a UltraHD station would be around 25 Mbps. Perhaps with better compression algorithms and faster unit processors, by 2016 they would probably be able to place a crystal-clear Ultra HD picture in about 18-20 Mbps bandwidth, so from a transponder point of view, based on current setups, that would mean about 2 Ultra HD per transponder.

I am the Stig.

#100 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

People adopt new TV technologies very slowly. It's taken about a dozen years for Direct'v HD penetration to get to 50%. So even today, nearly half of highly progressive Directv's customers are watching SD.

Even if D* launches a small number of Ultra channels in the 2016 timeframe, it will likely take years for a large enough customer base to build up before it becomes a real driving factor.

The move to HD had had two big advantages - an obvious selling feature in a much better picture - and the move to much larger displays. Back in the late 90s SD looked pretty good on common 27" sets. But by the mid 2000s 32-40" flat screens were increasingly popular, driving people's interest in the better HD picture. Ultra may be a better picture, but will it really have as big an advantage as the move to HD?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...