Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

3D is a gimmicky fad...Now back to anticipation

FMC...Encore Action/Dramma..PAC 12

Plex channels will probably be rolled out right before the next price increase to ease the complaints.

It can be a fun gimmicky fad, some of the movies are great to watch. I would never watch 3D every day though.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

How many more HD channels would we have by now without the 3D stuff?
A pretty expensive fad/gimmick in my book.

#143 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

FWIW- Thanks Direct TV, on Thursday night, the high school football game between Canton McKinley & Glen Oak was carried in HD on Fox Sports Nets across America, BUT NOT FOX SPORTS OHIO, WHO BROADCASTED THE GAME.
Good Grief, when do we get FSNOhio HD full time?

#144 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Not counting the 3D PPV channel which would probably be regular PPV, DirecTV carries TWO full-time 3D channels, and one part-time.

However, that does not mean that we'd have any more HD channels than we currently do.

~Alan

#145 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have two 3D sets and like the option of having the channels there. What channels do you want so I can say they are a waste of bandwidth?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#146 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I am also starting to wonder, if 3D is going to be a fad that will disappear, in a couple of years.

I believe 3D is here to stay.

The only reason 3D is deemed a failure or a "fad" is because many people inflated the impact it was going to have.

I see 3D becoming a pretty standard feature on high-end TVs going forward.

~Alan

#147 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

It's already a standard feature on most displays, not just those that are considered high-end.
DTV = Digital Television

#148 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

It's already a standard feature on most displays, not just those that are considered high-end.

Yeah... I previously expected the CE companies to have it be a standard feature on most all TVs, but with the economy and all, I'm questioning whether or not that will continue to be the case, or if we'll see some model lines lose that capability.

I hope that's not the case, but that's why I phrased things like I did...

~Alan

#149 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,841 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I am also starting to wonder, if 3D is going to be a fad that will disappear, in a couple of years. People don't seem to be going out of their way, to buy into this format, when they purchase new T.V.'s. I think eventually, we'll have a projection system, that will be 3D, without the glasses, using holographic imaging.

Until it is glassless and doesn't make ones eyes tear from watching more then a couples of hours, it doesn't have a change in hell of being accepted by the masses.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#150 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,841 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

And flying cars.

Where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars.

But Driverless Vehicles are here.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#151 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Not exactly a scientific study, but on PCRichard website, they have 61 out of 143 3d televisions. On Bestbuy, there are 117 out of 507. That's not most.

#152 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Not exactly a scientific study, but on PCRichard website, they have 61 out of 143 3d televisions. On Bestbuy, there are 117 out of 507. That's not most.

I don't count the Insignia's and Vizio's of the world. Might as well save your money for a real display. :)
DTV = Digital Television

#153 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't count the Insignia's and Vizio's of the world. Might as well save your money for a real display. :)

Actually, Vizio makes a decent television for the money. So you obviously have some research of your own to show your claim that most displays are 3D, yes?

#154 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Actually, Vizio makes a decent television for the money. So you obviously have some research of your own to show your claim that most displays are 3D, yes?

I should have been more clear: Unless you are buying a budget display, they are mostly 3D.

Unless it is a Panasonic ST/GT/VT 50 series, Samsung E7000/E8000 plasma, or Sharp Elite...it's second rate. Even the best Vizio is pretty far down the list.
DTV = Digital Television

#155 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I should have been more clear: Unless you are buying a budget display, they are mostly 3D.

Unless it is a Panasonic ST/GT/VT 50 series, Samsung E7000/E8000 plasma, or Sharp Elite...it's second rate. Even the best Vizio is pretty far down the list.

So anything other than the models you mentioned are second rate? Hear that zooming sound? It's your credibility flying out the window!

#156 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

So anything other than the models you mentioned are second rate? Hear that zooming sound? It's your credibility flying out the window!

Yes. That's right. Every single model besides the ones I mentioned falls way behind. Others might be adequate. Anyway...off topic for this thread.

Edited by Hoosier205, 06 October 2012 - 11:39 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#157 OFFLINE   CockerKingdom

CockerKingdom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

I thought this was the "DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation" thread.
I must be in the "High Definition Displays" thread. :shrug:

#158 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

But Driverless Vehicles are here.

They've been around for years here in SoCal. I can tell because the people behind the wheel are talking on the phone, texting, eating, putting on makeup, or even reading something.

#159 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Back to topic.

My take is that we have most of what we'll see for a while on HD channels.

There will be another new one here and there, most likely tied to content provider contract renewals where those kinds of details come up most often.

The other variable will be when the next sat goes up. That unit will act primarily as the last cog on a solid fleet and good bandwidth. It also allows one other older sat to go out of commission.

All in all - new channels will likely appear 1 - 3 here and there, and perhaps a few may even go by the wayside. The main driver at this point is probably content provider pricing and corresponding contract renewals.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#160 OFFLINE   matrixj3

matrixj3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

3D will probably get a boost when the glassless 3Dtvs and 4kHDTVs come out. Right now the format is stuck in limbo. One of the main reasons 3DTV has not caught on is the very expensive and bulky glasses, but it might change peoples minds and "i would give it a try" if i did not have to buy and wear the specs.

spam firewall