Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

3D will probably get a boost when the glassless 3Dtvs and 4kHDTVs come out. Right now the format is stuck in limbo. One of the main reasons 3DTV has not caught on is the very expensive and bulky glasses, but it might change peoples minds and "i would give it a try" if i did not have to buy and wear the specs.

My 2012 Panasonic glasses are light as a feather and only cost me $40.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   jmunick1

jmunick1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm hoping for H2 to be in HD. Love History HD, would love more.

#163 OFFLINE   CockerKingdom

CockerKingdom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm hoping for H2 to be in HD. Love History HD, would love more.

Agree! :righton:

#164 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I still want C-SPAN in HD.

#165 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I should have been more clear: Unless you are buying a budget display, they are mostly 3D.

Unless it is a Panasonic ST/GT/VT 50 series, Samsung E7000/E8000 plasma, or Sharp Elite...it's second rate. Even the best Vizio is pretty far down the list.

Here's a cookie. You win.. We all lose because you are always right. We should all quit posting and let the forum be you talking to yourself.

#166 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Here's a cookie. You win.. We all lose because you are always right. We should all quit posting and let the forum be you talking to yourself.

Thanks.
DTV = Digital Television

#167 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Somehow this comes to mind: http://en.wikipedia....Troll_(Internet)

My HD Wish List:
H2
FMC
TVLand
Cooking
HLN

#168 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Actually, I'm good with HD. Canadian HD hockey feeds is all I would like to see being an Edmonton Oilers fan... We did get one SportsNetWest feed last season and one is better then none. None is how much NHL we are seeing now unfortunately.

#169 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

They've been around for years here in SoCal. I can tell because the people behind the wheel are talking on the phone, texting, eating, putting on makeup, or even reading something.

Well, when the hell are we SUPPOSED to do that?!?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#170 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well, when the hell are we SUPPOSED to do that?!?

I would have expected a Sith Lord to ONLY travel that way.... unless he was bored or something... ;)

Regardless, it's pretty standard in South Georgia... so I would have assumed it was nationwide by now... ;)

~Alan

#171 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

3D will probably get a boost when the glassless 3Dtvs and 4kHDTVs come out. Right now the format is stuck in limbo. One of the main reasons 3DTV has not caught on is the very expensive and bulky glasses, but it might change peoples minds and "i would give it a try" if i did not have to buy and wear the specs.

The passive glasses are light and cheap, they're the same as the ones you get when you go to see a 3D movie in the theater. In fact you can bring those home and use them. You can even walk around the house while you're wearing them.

#172 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

One of my 3D TV's is a Samsung which uses Blue Tooth to keep the glasses and TV in sync. I have no problems walking around the floor that the TV's on and losing sync. And the old argument of glasses costing too much is getting a bit stale. BestBuy for example has Samsung 3D glasses for $19.99 and they are lighter then the sun glasses I use when outside.

Yes, glasses 3D will be nice, when it can match the quality that you can get now with the active or passive glass wear. But I'm enjoying 3D now and not having to wait for something that's a few years or more down the road.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#173 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

TWCSNHD

Bring it on DIRECTV!

#174 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

One of my 3D TV's is a Samsung which uses Blue Tooth to keep the glasses and TV in sync. I have no problems walking around the floor that the TV's on and losing sync. And the old argument of glasses costing too much is getting a bit stale. BestBuy for example has Samsung 3D glasses for $19.99 and they are lighter then the sun glasses I use when outside.

Yes, glasses 3D will be nice, when it can match the quality that you can get now with the active or passive glass wear. But I'm enjoying 3D now and not having to wait for something that's a few years or more down the road.

That's all well and good. I still have my first HD TV set, a Toshiba, that I bought in the late 1990's. It cost my $3700.00, for a 34" CRT. No digital tuner for OTA and had component video outs. I've bought 7 more HD sets since. I've got a 22" that cost me $89.00. I feel like a chump, for paying all of that money out, in the late 90's. Of course, I can say the same thing, that I enjoyed it, before anyone else did. At least I could receive HBO and ESPN. It's hard to swallow, years later, once technology moves forward and you get HDMI outputs and 1080p picture quality. At least there's over 100 channels of HD programming that I can still use on my old Toshiba. I have to wonder if there will be any more content, then there already is for 3D, going forward. I still look at my DVD-A, SACD and HD DVD equipment that sits dormant in my closet. It does get maddening.

#175 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

That's all well and good. I still have my first HD TV set, a Toshiba, that I bought in the late 1990's. It cost my $3700.00, for a 34" CRT. No digital tuner for OTA and had component video outs. I've bought 7 more HD sets since. I've got a 22" that cost me $89.00. I feel like a chump, for paying all of that money out, in the late 90's. Of course, I can say the same thing, that I enjoyed it, before anyone else did. At least I could receive HBO and ESPN. It's hard to swallow, years later, once technology moves forward and you get HDMI outputs and 1080p picture quality. At least there's over 100 channels of HD programming that I can still use on my old Toshiba. I have to wonder if there will be any more content, then there already is for 3D, going forward. I still look at my DVD-A, SACD and HD DVD equipment that sits dormant in my closet. It does get maddening.

I'm not sure I see any additional 3D content coming to TV providers outside of additional PPV channels. Perhaps HBO or Starz could eventually offer a channel, but they might just use VOD for those options.

I expect the main source for 3D content going forward will be from Blu-ray, and NOT linear channel programming.

~Alan

#176 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Too funny! :-)
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#177 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't count the Insignia's and Vizio's of the world. Might as well save your money for a real display. :)

I bought a Visio 26" HD set in 2006 but was damaged. They tried to fixed it but no go.:confused:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#178 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm not sure I see any additional 3D content coming to TV providers outside of additional PPV channels. Perhaps HBO or Starz could eventually offer a channel, but they might just use VOD for those options.

I expect the main source for 3D content going forward will be from Blu-ray, and NOT linear channel programming.

~Alan

It's too soon for 3D TV!

I knew that was a mistake when DirecTV got involved (c. 2009).

#179 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

It's too soon for 3D TV!

I knew that was a mistake when DirecTV got involved (c. 2009).

DirecTV got involved at exactly the right time...

~Alan

#180 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

I thought this was the "DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation" thread.
I must be in the "High Definition Displays" thread. :shrug:

Agree! What about any rumors or hints re: new HD additions?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...