Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pay per view on the Hopper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

There are a couple movies on Dish PPV that I'm interested in ordering, but they are only available on certain days....and during the week no less :(

If I go ahead and purchase the movie and then set the Hopper to DVR it and come back to it on the weekend and watch it?

It's my understanding that I can DVR a PPV movie and it will stay on the DVR indefinitely, however, after I start to view it, it is only available for 24 hours after that point before it will disappear. Correct?

I have a couple of free PPV certificates from Dish, and I'd hate to waste them.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yes, you can record PPV and watch it back later. Not all PPVs are limited ... but those that are will give you the warning when you set the timer.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Also, some of the limited PPVs also expire even if you don't watch them...

So 24-48 hours after you begin watching them OR maybe 3-4 months from now even if unwatched.

That info should display for you when you order the movie though.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

A good example in the guide tonight is channel 514 "Battleship".
The event will expire 24 hours after playback has begun and the recording will expire 1/30/13 if not viewed.

"Limited Recording" shows up next to the channel name when looking at the Info for the movie and the details on the limitation (which varies from movie to movie) are shown when the "Record This" option is chosen. There is no commitment to buy until the limits are fully disclosed.

The same movie is available as an immediate "on demand" playback with a 48 hour rental for $1 more. It is worth it to look both the VOD channels (501) and the PPV channels to compare prices and limitations.

#5 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Great! That helps me with what I need to know! Thanks for the info!

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

James beat me to it. VOD on 501 is one way to avoid the issue of a film not being available the day you want to view it. Isn't just about every title available VOD, especially on the Hopper? I realize older model DVR's might not have as many VOD's due to the smaller hard drive, but the Hopper's VOD selection should have a large selection of titles.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I have 64 movies on my Hopper ... some of those are 1080p (6) and three are 3D (even though I don't have a 3D set). The VOD selections are more expensive than PPV and can't be kept for multiple viewings like some PPVs but it is good to have the option.

#8 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have a dvd recorder hooked to mine. If I like a movie I can burn it to a disc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...