Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MLB Network

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Does Dish carry the alternate game when the main game is blacked out? I haven't been able to find it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Try channel 478 ... airing Athletics at Rangers this evening.

#3 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I do not understand the MLB blackout rules. I currently live in NW Iowa. We are 8 hours from Chicago. Minneapolis is half the distance. Yet Chicago games are blacked out on the MLB network. You might as well black out Yankees games for all the sense it makes.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

When MLB Network has two games on at the same time, they only give you one and black the other one out. It has nothing to do with blackout rules.

#5 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

wow! 478. I didn't expect it to be up there. I thought it would be next to the main channel. thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

When MLB Network has two games on at the same time, they only give you one and black the other one out. It has nothing to do with blackout rules.

Not true in this case. All I got was a screen saying "This game is subject to blackout rules in your area" and no game at all.

Also, I paid for MLB's mobile app to allow me to watch the White Sox when I'm away from home. When I try to watch the game on there when I'm home, like last night, it looks at my location and I then get the blackout message.

#7 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

So here is what is infuriating: Looked it up. NW Iowa, where we live, is about 4 hours from Minnesota, but not under blackout restrictions from the Twins. We are 4.5 hours from KC, but not under blackout restrictions from the Royals.

We are almost 10 hours from Chicago, and blacked out from both the Cubs and the White Sox. As if the only thing keeping us from going to the game is being able to see it on TV.

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

The teams are who determine who's area you are in, not distance from them. If you google search for MLB blackouts, you would see how arbitrary they are.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

The teams are part of it ... but when a broadcaster holds national rights to two games and has only one channel they choose who gets what in each area.

When it is an ABC/ESPN game the local affiliate may get a say on which game is aired in their area. The other game would end up on ESPN on their local cable system. On satellite the main ESPN is not switched to an alternate by the local provider so subscribers may have to hunt for the game not on in their area.

I'm not sure why MLB Network would block out a game unless there was another broadcaster with the rights in that area. Perhaps they only want to air one game per area and expect people who want the other game to buy the special package. Cable viewers would only get the one game chosen for them by the network ... why not impose the same limits on satellite viewers?

#10 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

The teams are part of it ... but when a broadcaster holds national rights to two games and has only one channel they choose who gets what in each area.

When it is an ABC/ESPN game the local affiliate may get a say on which game is aired in their area. The other game would end up on ESPN on their local cable system. On satellite the main ESPN is not switched to an alternate by the local provider so subscribers may have to hunt for the game not on in their area.

I'm not sure why MLB Network would block out a game unless there was another broadcaster with the rights in that area. Perhaps they only want to air one game per area and expect people who want the other game to buy the special package. Cable viewers would only get the one game chosen for them by the network ... why not impose the same limits on satellite viewers?

What really stinks is that I can't even watch the games on the internet that I paid the MLB to see! I purchased their MLB At Bat video package, and when I am at home it won't even show me the games via that - just a blacked out notice. Even when they are not on here via MLB network, Fox, WGN, TBS, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well, yeah. if you're at home, watching your home team, you're blacked out. Same goes for NHL Gamecenter too. It's just how blackouts work.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Well, yeah. if you're at home, watching your home team, you're blacked out. Same goes for NHL Gamecenter too. It's just how blackouts work.

Except when home is NW Iowa, 10 hours away from Chicago, and you're trying to watch Chicago home games.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Except when home is NW Iowa, 10 hours away from Chicago, and you're trying to watch Chicago home games.

That's because Iowa is claimed by the Chicago teams in baseball.

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...