Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local HDTV stations w/ south-pointing sat dish (Madison, WI)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   some_raisins

some_raisins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Does anyone know if I can get local HDTV stations via DirecTV sat in Madison, WI with a south-pointing dish? Just curious because it wasn't possible on Dish Network. The dish would've had to point to the east, which doesn't work for me due to a large hill with large trees on that end of my yard. 3 years ago when I last had DTV, I was able to get locals in HD via a south-pointing dish. Is this still the case? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

The satellites have not moved in that time. If you got it then, it should still be there now.

To check this out, go to dishpointer.com and type in your address, then go down the page and choose the satellite DirecTV 99,101,103 ( in the Mult Sat area of the list ). Then click on Go.
On the right side of the page is a check box for obstructions. Click on it. It will then show a line to the satellites and any obstructions that are in the way if any.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

I recently switched from DTV to Dish. I noticed that my Dish dish is pointing to the SE, while previously my DTV dish was pointing to the SW.

Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   some_raisins

some_raisins

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info. The website indicates the same line-of-sight as my Dish Network service. I had DTV installed yesterday without problems. The dish points in the same general direction as Dish Network, but DTV has 5 satellites, and one of them is partially blocked by a large tree in my neighbor's yard. It didn't seem to pose a problem for signal strength though.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

If your signal strengths are good across the board, you're not blocked at all.

The SD versions of your locals (your only look at WBUW) are at 119W.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall