Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AllVid (and it's impact on DirecTV)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

If the DirecTV receiver distribution arrangement is a lease, then it has to have a fixed term...like leasing an apartment, or a car, or any other item. There may be a partial or full prepayment, but there is always an end point to a lease, at which time it either terminates (and the leased item is returned), is renegotiated, or renews.

The only other option is an "open end lease" which is exactly how the cable companies rent you their equipment.

But really, bottom line, as long as DirecTV maintains ownership of the receivers and we have to pay DirecTV for them, whether it is upfront or monthly, there is an added cost to having the service, beyond the service itself. As far as the spirit of the FCC initiative goes, that is no different than a cable company charging a monthly "rental fee."

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

If the DirecTV receiver distribution arrangement is a lease, then it has to have a fixed term...like leasing an apartment, or a car, or any other item. There may be a partial or full prepayment, but there is always an end point to a lease, at which time it either terminates (and the leased item is returned), is renegotiated, or renews.

The only other option is an "open end lease" which is exactly how the cable companies rent you their equipment.

But really, bottom line, as long as DirecTV maintains ownership of the receivers and we have to pay DirecTV for them, whether it is upfront or monthly, there is an added cost to having the service, beyond the service itself. As far as the spirit of the FCC initiative goes, that is no different than a cable company charging a monthly "rental fee."

why not make it rent to own?? like some Canada systems?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#23 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Equipment lease cost is determined at time of lease purchase. The lease agreement is here: http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

I didn't ask about the cost, I asked about the term. If I lease a car (as we have for over 2 decades) it is for a certain number of months. Likewise an apartment lease, or a software lease, or a heavy equipment lease, or any other kind of lease you want to name. The only lease type without a fixed time period is an open end lease...which is known as renting, and is exactly how cable companies distribute set top boxes.

But as I said earlier, in the end the details are irrelevant. DirecTV owns the hardware, we pay them for the privledge of using it, and they are currently the only source for compatible hardware (which I know is theoretically changed if you happen to own a particular brand and model of TV and lease an HR34). This is the situation the FCC initiative tries to address by establishing open standards to allow interoperability between video sources and display terminals. If the HR34 (and similar future devices) can support RVU, then they can also support AllVid and any other standard (as was pointed out in the article by the Verizon spokesperson).

In my opinion, DirecTV and Dish should both be held to the same standard as cable operators. If a single standard emerges, they should be required to support it on the same or similar terms set for cable.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I didn't ask about the cost, I asked about the term. If I lease a car (as we have for over 2 decades) it is for a certain number of months. Likewise an apartment lease, or a software lease, or a heavy equipment lease, or any other kind of lease you want to name. The only lease type without a fixed time period is an open end lease...which is known as renting, and is exactly how cable companies distribute set top boxes.

But as I said earlier, in the end the details are irrelevant. DirecTV owns the hardware, we pay them for the privledge of using it, and they are currently the only source for compatible hardware (which I know is theoretically changed if you happen to own a particular brand and model of TV and lease an HR34). This is the situation the FCC initiative tries to address by establishing open standards to allow interoperability between video sources and display terminals. If the HR34 (and similar future devices) can support RVU, then they can also support AllVid and any other standard (as was pointed out in the article by the Verizon spokesperson).

In my opinion, DirecTV and Dish should both be held to the same standard as cable operators. If a single standard emerges, they should be required to support it on the same or similar terms set for cable.

So do you feel that cable DVR's are as innovative and feature rich as DIRECTV or DISH receivers? Even if other companies did make receivers it doesn't mean that either company has to share, or license, their patents to the companies. So we could have a bunch of receivers like the THR22 out there where they don't have features that are standard on the companies current receivers.

There is nothing that has proven that cable cards have done anything to innovate that market. The extremely small % of cable card users is proof enough that it's not a market that companies feel are worth getting into.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

but you can buy the hardware (with the same mirroring cost that the renting cost is)

Now billing per RVU terminal may be a issue even more so if on cable the terms set for cable say no mirroring or outlet bs.

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

So do you feel that cable DVR's are as innovative and feature rich as DIRECTV or DISH receivers? Even if other companies did make receivers it doesn't mean that either company has to share, or license, their patents to the companies. So we could have a bunch of receivers like the THR22 out there where they don't have features that are standard on the companies current receivers.

There is nothing that has proven that cable cards have done anything to innovate that market. The extremely small % of cable card users is proof enough that it's not a market that companies feel are worth getting into.

the cable co's the min to make cable card work as they made more by renting 5-6+ year old boxes.

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

the cable co's the min to make cable card work as they made more by renting 5-6+ year old boxes.

Sure they make more money but if there was a financial gain to be had to make cable box's a company would. Tivo can't even get a real market share of cable card box's.

Motorola could easily create a premium box and add features like WHDVR and everything else, but they don't because there's just not a profit in it. Most customers aren't bleeding edge customers and only really start using features because it's given to them not because it's available in the market.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sure they make more money but if there was a financial gain to be had to make cable box's a company would. Tivo can't even get a real market share of cable card box's.

Motorola could easily create a premium box and add features like WHDVR and everything else, but they don't because there's just not a profit in it. Most customers aren't bleeding edge customers and only really start using features because it's given to them not because it's available in the market.

Bleeding edge. Premium customer. Puke. Feel special yet?

#29 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Bleeding edge. Premium customer. Puke. Feel special yet?

I'm sure there was a point to your post but I doubt anyone other than yourself can understand it.

#30 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,141 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

The deadline was extended:

http://www.broadcast...op_Deadline.php

Also, with RVU being part of the new DLNA spec, DirecTV would be covered it seems.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...