Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x05C2 Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,035 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm curious at to why with all the glitches still needing to be ironed out with the HR34....why there wuld be such a huge type of software update like this including this brand new "service" (Genie)???

Also why only the 34 and not other DVR's? B/c the 34 has more space?

Not space. More tuners.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mattgt

mattgt

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

After the update my RVU - Samsung 6000 series TVs are now disconnecting randomly with "RVU Session Closed" and then I have to reboot the HR34. I use to have to do this once a week or so, but now every time I turn off one of my RVU TVs I have to restart the HR34 to turn the RVU TV back on. It just cycles "Connecting to RVU server" then "RVU server session closed."

This is ridiculous. :mad:

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,643 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yes, that pretty well bites.

You're the first guy I've seen posting with an RVU'd Sammy. How long have you had it, and how many firmware updates did they put you through? \

And, welcome to DBSTalk!:)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

What do they mean? Thanks!

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

What do they mean? Thanks!

When in the guide move all the way to the left so the channel name, with the triangle, is highlighted. Press info. If there's a white triangle you'll see a shortcut to VOD content for the channel. If there's no white triangle there's no VOD content.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

When I scroll down through the channel guide, usually after I pass a promo line, the guide highlight will jump all the way to the left and highlight the channel information box.

#47 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

With 0x0583 the FFWD > PLAY > BACKSPACE (a few seconds) function worked, at least a lot of the time. Now, with 0x05c2, the BACKSPACE function doesn't work, at least most of the time. As I've posted before, my HR23 and HR24 backspace perfectly. I am clueless as to why DTV can't make the BACKSPACE function work properly on the HR34. I record tons of programs, not to watch them, but to FFWD through them and find snibbits I like to save on my computer. It's really frustrating and inconvenient to have the BACKSPACE function not work properly.

#48 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

Like with 0c0582 and 0x0583, there are no UP/DOWN arrows on the various pages that display more than one page of SMART SEARCH searches and recorded LIST items. I found those arrows helpful.

#49 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

These so-called bugs are not new with 0x05C2. 1. If I press the red button to get the SCORE GUIDE and then press the red button again to lose it, fine. But if I inadvertently press the EXIT button to lose the SCORE GUIDE, the red button will not reactivate the SCORE GUIDE unless I change channels and then go back to the original channel. Pressing EXIT to lose the SCORE GUIDE should not disable it. 2. SCORE GUIDE does not work unless you are in real-time and not on a delay. Fine. But if I press the right FFWD arrow to be sure I am in real-time, the SCORE GUIDE function is then, weirdly, disabled. Then I have to change channels and back to get the SCORE GUIDE back.

BTW: Why doesn't the SCORE GUIDE work on all channels? I have found that sometimes, very briefly, it does work on a non-sports channel. It would be nice if SCORE GUIDE worked on all channels.

#50 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 965 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

These so-called bugs are not new with 0x05C2. 1. If I press the red button to get the SCORE GUIDE and then press the red button again to lose it, fine. But if I inadvertently press the EXIT button to lose the SCORE GUIDE, the red button will not reactivate the SCORE GUIDE unless I change channels and then go back to the original channel. Pressing EXIT to lose the SCORE GUIDE should not disable it. 2. SCORE GUIDE does not work unless you are in real-time and not on a delay. Fine. But if I press the right FFWD arrow to be sure I am in real-time, the SCORE GUIDE function is then, weirdly, disabled. Then I have to change channels and back to get the SCORE GUIDE back.

BTW: Why doesn't the SCORE GUIDE work on all channels? I have found that sometimes, very briefly, it does work on a non-sports channel. It would be nice if SCORE GUIDE worked on all channels.

Both #1 and #2 are by design(at least they have always been that way).Yes you must be in realtime to see Scoreguide. Another way to re-populate Scoreguide is to press Guide or List. That way you don't have to change channels....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#51 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

When in the guide move all the way to the left so the channel name, with the triangle, is highlighted. Press info. If there's a white triangle you'll see a shortcut to VOD content for the channel. If there's no white triangle there's no VOD content.

The triangles bug me. The position and color (bright white, same as other text) make them distracting and add clutter to the guide. I can understand how this might be helpful to have but how about putting the triangle in the upper left corner of the channel cell and changing its color to vary from the other text.

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

With 0x0583 the FFWD > PLAY > BACKSPACE (a few seconds) function worked, at least a lot of the time. Now, with 0x05c2, the BACKSPACE function doesn't work, at least most of the time. As I've posted before, my HR23 and HR24 backspace perfectly. I am clueless as to why DTV can't make the BACKSPACE function work properly on the HR34. I record tons of programs, not to watch them, but to FFWD through them and find snibbits I like to save on my computer. It's really frustrating and inconvenient to have the BACKSPACE function not work properly.

Not sure I'm following you. I hit the Replay button a lot on my remote and haven't noticed an issue. I use it after FF or 30SKIP without issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#53 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I just did a menu reset of my HR34 because of some strange behaviour I was getting (blank black screen on start-up, had to start a recorded program to get video/audio back). During the reset I got the 0x05C2 update, after that I got the prompt explaining Genie. Now I can't access any on demand content (says it's "not available"), Genie says "not available". Do I have to wait for a while to get this back? I would have thought that since on-demand was over the internet that it would populate instantly.

#54 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

There is a second reboot that will need to happen, sometime over the next 24 hours. More software will be downloaded during that time. It will occur either when you have the DVR off or at least aren't doing anything important. If you are watching TV at that moment, the DVR will ask you if it is OK to do this second reboot/download at that time.

Even then, don't be surprised if it takes a day or two for everything to start working like it should. This is a major update.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#55 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

There is a second reboot that will need to happen, sometime over the next 24 hours. More software will be downloaded during that time. It will occur either when you have the DVR off or at least aren't doing anything important. If you are watching TV at that moment, the DVR will ask you if it is OK to do this second reboot/download at that time.

Even then, don't be surprised if it takes a day or two for everything to start working like it should. This is a major update.

OK, thanks for the info, I'll wait a while then.

#56 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Merg. "Not sure I'm following you. I hit the Replay button a lot on my remote and haven't noticed an issue. I use it after FF or 30SKIP without issue."

REPLAY and 30-skip also work fine for me. Here's what I mean. With my HR23 and 24 when I am in the FFWD mode and I hit PLAY, the Hard Drive will back up to a place a few seconds before where I hit play to compensate for my recognition/reaction time. That way I see on my screen a few seconds of the video that came before where I hit PLAY, and that then allows me to see what I had originally wanted to see that came just before I hit PLAY. That way I don't have to use the REPLAY button to back up to that place. The automatic BACKSPACE on my HR23 and 24 is much better because it's consistent, whereas the REPLAY function is kind of hit and miss. Thanks.

#57 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

I programmed my HR34 and my HR23 and HR24 to record five, 5 minute partials that overlapped each other by being spaced one minute apart from each other. In other words, say, 1:32 plus 5 minutes, 1:33 plus 5 minutes, 1:34 plus 5 minutes, and so on. The HR 23 and 24 recorded each of the staggered 5 minute partials perfectly. The HR34 only recorded two of them. By that I mean only two of the partials played back as they should have while the other three gave me just a single freeze frame before the SAVE/DELETE window came up. I repeated the process again with the same results, i.e. the 0x05c2 HR34 doesn't like to record staggered partials while the HR23 and 24 do fine with them. I do this "staggering" often because I not sure exactly when the exact portion of the video that I want to save is going to start. Thanks.

#58 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Oftentimes with my 0x05c2 HR34, when I press the FFWD button, the picture will simply freeze to a freeze frame. However, behind this freeze frame the Hard drive is actually fast forwarding. I know this because when I then hit PLAY while the freeze frame is being displayed, the video then resumes at a place however many number of seconds ahead of where I had hit the FFWD button before I as able to react to the freeze frame and then hit PLAY.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 30 September 2012 - 07:01 AM.
correction

#59 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks RunnerFL and bnwrx.

#60 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Last week pip on NFL ST was perfect. Really enjoyed using it.
The 5c2 update killed pip, after a while sometimes long sometimes quick the small screen would just freeze while the main screen played properly.

If I switch screens and hit the jump back button play would restart and last for a while.

After foolin' around with it I did a menu reboot to try and restore function, did not work.
What the reboot did was wipe out my to do list beyond a week out. The guide was complete but all scheduled programs were dropped.

J C:mad:

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...