Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x05C2 Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

When in the guide move all the way to the left so the channel name, with the triangle, is highlighted. Press info. If there's a white triangle you'll see a shortcut to VOD content for the channel. If there's no white triangle there's no VOD content.

The triangles bug me. The position and color (bright white, same as other text) make them distracting and add clutter to the guide. I can understand how this might be helpful to have but how about putting the triangle in the upper left corner of the channel cell and changing its color to vary from the other text.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

With 0x0583 the FFWD > PLAY > BACKSPACE (a few seconds) function worked, at least a lot of the time. Now, with 0x05c2, the BACKSPACE function doesn't work, at least most of the time. As I've posted before, my HR23 and HR24 backspace perfectly. I am clueless as to why DTV can't make the BACKSPACE function work properly on the HR34. I record tons of programs, not to watch them, but to FFWD through them and find snibbits I like to save on my computer. It's really frustrating and inconvenient to have the BACKSPACE function not work properly.

Not sure I'm following you. I hit the Replay button a lot on my remote and haven't noticed an issue. I use it after FF or 30SKIP without issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#53 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I just did a menu reset of my HR34 because of some strange behaviour I was getting (blank black screen on start-up, had to start a recorded program to get video/audio back). During the reset I got the 0x05C2 update, after that I got the prompt explaining Genie. Now I can't access any on demand content (says it's "not available"), Genie says "not available". Do I have to wait for a while to get this back? I would have thought that since on-demand was over the internet that it would populate instantly.

#54 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

There is a second reboot that will need to happen, sometime over the next 24 hours. More software will be downloaded during that time. It will occur either when you have the DVR off or at least aren't doing anything important. If you are watching TV at that moment, the DVR will ask you if it is OK to do this second reboot/download at that time.

Even then, don't be surprised if it takes a day or two for everything to start working like it should. This is a major update.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#55 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

There is a second reboot that will need to happen, sometime over the next 24 hours. More software will be downloaded during that time. It will occur either when you have the DVR off or at least aren't doing anything important. If you are watching TV at that moment, the DVR will ask you if it is OK to do this second reboot/download at that time.

Even then, don't be surprised if it takes a day or two for everything to start working like it should. This is a major update.

OK, thanks for the info, I'll wait a while then.

#56 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Merg. "Not sure I'm following you. I hit the Replay button a lot on my remote and haven't noticed an issue. I use it after FF or 30SKIP without issue."

REPLAY and 30-skip also work fine for me. Here's what I mean. With my HR23 and 24 when I am in the FFWD mode and I hit PLAY, the Hard Drive will back up to a place a few seconds before where I hit play to compensate for my recognition/reaction time. That way I see on my screen a few seconds of the video that came before where I hit PLAY, and that then allows me to see what I had originally wanted to see that came just before I hit PLAY. That way I don't have to use the REPLAY button to back up to that place. The automatic BACKSPACE on my HR23 and 24 is much better because it's consistent, whereas the REPLAY function is kind of hit and miss. Thanks.

#57 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

I programmed my HR34 and my HR23 and HR24 to record five, 5 minute partials that overlapped each other by being spaced one minute apart from each other. In other words, say, 1:32 plus 5 minutes, 1:33 plus 5 minutes, 1:34 plus 5 minutes, and so on. The HR 23 and 24 recorded each of the staggered 5 minute partials perfectly. The HR34 only recorded two of them. By that I mean only two of the partials played back as they should have while the other three gave me just a single freeze frame before the SAVE/DELETE window came up. I repeated the process again with the same results, i.e. the 0x05c2 HR34 doesn't like to record staggered partials while the HR23 and 24 do fine with them. I do this "staggering" often because I not sure exactly when the exact portion of the video that I want to save is going to start. Thanks.

#58 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Oftentimes with my 0x05c2 HR34, when I press the FFWD button, the picture will simply freeze to a freeze frame. However, behind this freeze frame the Hard drive is actually fast forwarding. I know this because when I then hit PLAY while the freeze frame is being displayed, the video then resumes at a place however many number of seconds ahead of where I had hit the FFWD button before I as able to react to the freeze frame and then hit PLAY.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 30 September 2012 - 07:01 AM.
correction

#59 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks RunnerFL and bnwrx.

#60 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Last week pip on NFL ST was perfect. Really enjoyed using it.
The 5c2 update killed pip, after a while sometimes long sometimes quick the small screen would just freeze while the main screen played properly.

If I switch screens and hit the jump back button play would restart and last for a while.

After foolin' around with it I did a menu reboot to try and restore function, did not work.
What the reboot did was wipe out my to do list beyond a week out. The guide was complete but all scheduled programs were dropped.

J C:mad:

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#61 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

These are the triangles that lead to the VOD channels, correct? Does it do anything else? Is there a new PIP function with this software? I thought a post gave that impression.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• marker.JPG

Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#62 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

My issues are the following:

The box seems to lose HDMI connectivity whenever I start a new show from the list of recordings, so I have to turn everything off and back on --then it works fine.

When I want to delete a show from a future date, it always acts as if the recording has already started, even if it is days in the future.

The dual tuners don't work any longer. One tuner will always stick.

So far, I hate this update.

#63 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

The dual tuners don't work any longer. One tuner will always stick.

So far, I hate this update.

The HR34 has 5 SAT tuners, not 2.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#64 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

Last week pip on NFL ST was perfect. Really enjoyed using it.
The 5c2 update killed pip, after a while sometimes long sometimes quick the small screen would just freeze while the main screen played properly.

If I switch screens and hit the jump back button play would restart and last for a while.

After foolin' around with it I did a menu reboot to try and restore function, did not work.
What the reboot did was wipe out my to do list beyond a week out. The guide was complete but all scheduled programs were dropped.

J C:mad:

Edit: After more testing what was locking up PIP was to tune to the same channel on the full screen as the PIP window (this worked before s/w update). Shortly after tuning to the full screen the PIP window will freeze every time. Work around is to skip channel on full screen that is currently in the PIP window, works ok otherwise.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#65 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

These are the triangles that lead to the VOD channels, correct? Does it do anything else? Is there a new PIP function with this software? I thought a post gave that impression.

Thanks

Yes, those are the triangles that indicate a channel has VOD content. They aren't connected to PIP.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#66 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

The HR34 has 5 SAT tuners, not 2.

Ummmm, Yes, I know. :eek2:

The dual live buffers don't work properly.

#67 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Ummmm, Yes, I know. :eek2:

The dual live buffers don't work properly.

You're referring to 'Double Play', correct? I used it on my HR34 yesterday during football and didn't notice a problem. What are your symptoms?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#68 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yesterday I found my HR34 having the same channel on both sides of Double Play. I had Double Play set up to allow me to switch between a football game and the Ryder's Cup matches, only to find golf on both sides. When I tried to fix it, I ended up with golf on both sides. My situation, along with another poster who experienced the same thing on PIP, is being discussed in this thread.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#69 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I just got a new HR34 with 2 HR24s installed. I activated Genie but, 3 days later nothing is recording with Genie. Is this normal.?
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#70 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

You're referring to 'Double Play', correct? I used it on my HR34 yesterday during football and didn't notice a problem. What are your symptoms?

Since the update, sometimes when I use double play, the show on the tuner that I am not currently watching locks up.

I hit the down arrow from one show that is working fine, and when I get to the other channel, it's stuck on a static image. So I have to change the channel on that tuner -- losing what was there.

It's fussier when I am using one or more of the three other tuners for other recordings.

I hope that the next update solves some of these problems since they mostly just started w. this current software.

#71 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

I received a message saying that I needed to turn double play off on my 2nd tuner if I wanted to record a 2nd show. Hmmmmm, 5 tuners shouldn't necessitate that type of message when only 2 shows are recording. I subsequently tested recording 5 shows at once, and it did, but the messages with this release are annoying and confusing.

Genie will occasionally use four tuners.

IMO, Genie should never interfere with viewing. Genie should simply quietly give up one (or more if necessary) of the tuners it is using without a peep.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#72 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

What the heck is Genie?

BTW: I too am annoyed as hell with the "Too record this program" prompt. If I don't use EXIT to lose it, or if I don't wait for it to go away by itself, the next function button I press on the remote while the prompt is still being displayed won't work unless I press it twice. The first press only loses the stupid, unnecessary prompt. Thanks.

#73 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm watching a recorded video and I press the FFWD button and the HR34 mysteriously switches to the tuner all by itself. Same thing happened once when I was going frame-by-frame through a recorded video. Thanks.

Yesterday I was watching a program on the tuner and the HR34 mysteriously switched to another channel. I wasn't even holding the remote.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 06 October 2012 - 05:50 AM.
Add something

#74 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

IMO, Genie should never interfere with viewing. Genie should simply quietly give up one (or more if necessary) of the tuners it is using without a peep.

I couldn't agree more. I'd go so far as saying Genie should never comandeer more than 2 tuners at a time either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#75 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,373 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

I couldn't agree more. I'd go so far as saying Genie should never comandeer more than 2 tuners at a time either.

I'm not normally a "me-tooer", but, me, too!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...