Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Employee's

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

A disclaimer like newshawks?

Based on what I have heard, yes.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

so basically just something that states your an employee. from what i've seen most of the people here who work for directv already have that, dont they?
I'm that person you talk to on the phone when you call DirecTV
I Do Billing For DirecTV ;)
My posts reflect my OWN opinions, not those of DirecTV

#43 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

And if they don't identify themselves, what's wrong with that?

I always assume everyone is lying on the Internet to at least some extent, starting with their screen name. Some DBSTalk members are telling whoppers.

Doesn't bother me. It makes it a lot easier to deal with some folks here when I don't believe what they say.

Edited by Carl Spock, 28 September 2012 - 12:42 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#44 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think it would be really great if DirecTV would establish an OFFICIAL presence here. And with that I mean a "Direct Support" type forum, more or less the same as the ISP support forums on DSLReports, where you can post a topic in a forum that can ONLY be read by official support staff, and can help people with relatively un-important issues and questions.

An example: https://secure.dslre...forum/sbcdirect

That is a forum ran by several AT&T employees. Other members cannot read the forum posts as it may obtain address, phone or account information. In the case of AT&T it can be problems like "My line is slow, can you have someone take a look at it" or "My e-mails are bouncing because my email got blacklisted" or "I need port 25 opened for my mail server" and stuff like that.

For DirecTV I can see things like "I'd like to disable/enable receiver with number xxxxx" or "my HD receiver cannot find my whole-home DVR" or "My receiver reboots twice a week" etc...

Basically, things that can be answered in 48 hours, and do not require an immediate response. Certain problems may be widespread among users, and can be addressed along with an official public announcement on said forum that a problem is known.

I used the AT&T service once and my problem didn't end up being able to be solved via the forum session, but they ended with: When you call in, please refer to this ticket #### and it will contain the info of this thread. And sure enough, I called in to have a change made, and the info was all there.

And AT&T is usually not known (I can tell a horror story or two as well, really really bad) for their glorious customer service, so that was a surprise.

Would be a nice addition to support.

Evidently DirecTV does not want to follow in Dishnetworks footsteps and establish a group like the D.I.R.T. team.

They are official Dish representatives and can be PM'd with problems. There is No reason DirecTV couldn't do it too, They just seem to lack the desire to do it.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#45 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Evidently DirecTV does not want to follow in Dishnetworks footsteps and establish a group like the D.I.R.T. team.

They are official Dish representatives and can be PM'd with problems. There is No reason DirecTV couldn't do it too, They just seem to lack the desire to do it.

Nor would I want them too. The D.I.R.T. team is just Dish Network propaganda.

#46 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

so basically just something that states your an employee. from what i've seen most of the people here who work for directv already have that, dont they?

I would think you should know better then me, since you have it in yours?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

Nor would I want them too. The D.I.R.T. team is just Dish Network propaganda.

But if they help users, it's not a bad thing. We can do a lot to help people, but obviously there are limits to what we can do.

And based on some of the experiences I've had with other companies, I've gotten better support from their social networking based reps than phone reps.

#48 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Sadly, I am one of them. I will write a reply, reread it and think, "do I really need the hassle that voicing my own opinion might bring on?", then delete the reply. I actually miss the days when I was just Newshawk, DirecTV user... :(

This happens to me regularly.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sadly, I am one of them. I will write a reply, reread it and think, "do I really need the hassle that voicing my own opinion might bring on?", then delete the reply. I actually miss the days when I was just Newshawk, DirecTV user... :(

This happens to me regularly.

I do the same thing, and I'm not an employee of anything satellite/TV related other than this site (where I am an unpaid volunteer).

And with that role I am obligated to point out the rules from time to time - the following rule might be appropriate for the topic of this thread:

The opinions of our staff members are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of DBSTalk.Com or any other company. From time to time, our staff's close relationship with manufacturers and service providers may lead to an exchange of gifts, and both staff members and testers may be given equipment or services for testing or evaluation purposes without charge. DBSTalk.Com registered members who are compensated for their opinions or posts must reveal this when discussing any product for which they are compensated. Where appropriate, further disclosures will be made on specific products and services.

As far as I know, the only posters who are compensated for their posts are the DISH Internet Response Team members. There are examples of where they have been extremely helpful but they too get raked over the coals by members who (in my personal opinion) often expect too much.

It is good to see poster's relationships with the companies disclosed ... even though it is not required unless they are compensated for their posting. But keep in mind that a disclosure that states someone works for DirecTV does not make that person your personal contact "buddy" that you can demand service from 24/7. Please be respectful.

#50 ONLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,051 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Just a curious off-topic thought since DISH and DirecTV have operations a few miles away from each other, do you guys ever get together with the DISH folks down on 71st St. and compare notes & swap stories?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#51 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Just a curious off-topic thought since DISH and DirecTV have operations a few miles away from each other, do you guys ever get together with the DISH folks down on 71st St. and compare notes & swap stories?

Half of us down here used to work for Dish! (well not literally half but there definitely are a few former Dish employees who moved to D*)
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#52 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Half of us down here used to work for Dish! (well not literally half but there definitely are a few former Dish employees who moved to D*)

And vice-versa.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#53 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Different opinions is what solves problems, makes us think more.
If we all agreed and were all wrong what would we get done ?
If we were all right all of the time, we would not need to be here.

Don't be shy, write it down and put it out here for us. If someone gives you too much crap use the Ignore User feature and don't read what they write. I have one poster on my list and it makes my life a lot more pleasant.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#54 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

As a D* employee, while I was never.told what I can say or when I can say it, I DO have the common sense to know what kind of information I can and cant say in a public forum. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, we represent our employer. Anything we say can affect perception which affects stock, churn, customer relations, etc and things like that can have affect on our livelihoods.

Well said
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well said

And on the contrary,I've never once seen a Directv employee take a position contrary to their employer.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#56 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

^ So you're saying that DirecTV employees "DO have the common sense to know what kind of information [they] can and cant say in a public forum."

I really don't get the issue here. People have enough sense not to risk their job by saying something stupid on an Internet forum. BFD. I don't swear in church or in front of my mother. Do I earn a medal for that, too?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#57 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

And on the contrary,I've never once seen a Directv employee take a position contrary to their employer.

NEVER bite the hand that feeds you!

#58 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

Perhaps because employees can see, and care, about both sides of the situation. The impact it has to customers and the impact is has to the business. There are times when decisions are made that may not be popular but may be necessary. It doesn't make them less frustrating for the customer or the people who have to deal with the customer's.

I can bet that every employee who orders equipment would love to be able to place orders for specific models or be able to drop ship equipment for self installations. However those same people would say keep it as is if they had to be impacted by it through reductions of pay increases or if there was a negative impact on their metrics if customer's called back and ordered an installation because they couldn't do it.

So while employees may "side" with the company more it's because we have to care about both sides. When I'm a consumer with other companies I don't have to care about them and I can focus solely on what I want and need.

^ So you're saying that DirecTV employees "DO have the common sense to know what kind of information [they] can and cant say in a public forum."

I really don't get the issue here. People have enough sense not to risk their job by saying something stupid on an Internet forum. BFD. I don't swear in church or in front of my mother. Do I earn a medal for that, too?

Some do but you can always tell new employees that pop on here. Unfortunately there are some who want to get some street cred. Others do things like copy and paste from internal sources. Are they malicious? Not necessarily but it always raises red flags.

With that said I would also encourage people no matter what to post without worry about people giving you flakk.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#59 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

Where in the world did I say that?

DIRECTV has no authority on what is or is not posted on this forum, that is in completely control of the Moderators, Admins, and Owners of this privately owned forum.

DIRECTV does have guidelines for IT'S employees though on how they communicate inside and outside of DIRECTV.

If there is any additional confusion, I defer to the moderators to clarify.

Most companies have guidelines as to what they disclose about the companies they work for, or their customer's information.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#60 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Wonder if macfan601 was ever in the service :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...