Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Employee's

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

Ummm... Okay, I guess.

Yeah Earl...that was pretty much my thought. But what do I know, the US Navy "owned" me for nearly 27 years. :grin:
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dieguy

dieguy

BIG Dish alum

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNW OHIO

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure many of you come here for the same reason I do, that is to learn. I appreciate the advice and education I get from this forum. I really don't care who gives it, I appreciate it and have learned a lot. Thank you all!!!! Including D.. employees and everyone else.

#63 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

But what do I know, the US Navy "owned" me for nearly 27 years. :grin:

And you probably loved every day of it.

#64 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,006 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Perhaps a reality check is in order.

The Moderators here spend countless hours here helping people, managing the site, and providing new information and leadership - all voluntary.

Various people participate in testing to ultimately improve final products and services so that all customers can enjoy them - all voluntary.

Some of the longer-term site contributors provide extensive and tireless problem-solving assistance, useful ideas and tips on enjoying the viewing experience, and wisdom for avoiding issues with their setups - all voluntary.

Some DirecTV folks happen to have their own personal interest in gaining knowledge, sharing information that is not proprietary or currently considered private (for competitive reasons), and providing helpful information to those who seek it - all voluntary.

Thanks to ALL of those volunteers.

I happen to appreciate all of those valuable contributions, and do not take them for granted. It's why I came here many years ago in the first place, and now I try to give back as best I can.

All of these elements are what make DBSTalk such a unique and valuable resource. That's reality.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#65 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Perhaps a reality check is in order.

The Moderators here spend countless hours here helping people, managing the site, and providing new information and leadership - all voluntary.

Various people participate in testing to ultimately improve final products and services so that all customers can enjoy them - all voluntary.

Some of the longer-term site contributors provide extensive and tireless problem-solving assistance, useful ideas and tips on enjoying the viewing experience, and wisdom for avoiding issues with their setups - all voluntary.

Some DirecTV folks happen to have their own personal interest in gaining knowledge, sharing information that is not proprietary or currently considered private (for competitive reasons), and providing helpful information to those who seek it - all voluntary.

Thanks to ALL of those volunteers.

I happen to appreciate all of those valuable contributions, and do not take them for granted. It's why I came here many years ago in the first place, and now I try to give back as best I can.

All of these elements are what make DBSTalk such a unique and valuable resource. That's reality.

Well "said". +1
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#66 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

But if they help users, it's not a bad thing. We can do a lot to help people, but obviously there are limits to what we can do.

And based on some of the experiences I've had with other companies, I've gotten better support from their social networking based reps than phone reps.

That's because the scripts used by the phone reps are created for the lowest common denominator, the tech agent that knows nothing more than what is on the screen in front of them. These are the "official" trouibleshooting scripts and going off script can have financial and potentially career changing affects. These scripts are written to protect the global interests of DirecTV and often the troubleshooting steps are not the best answer. I often have to decide whether it's worth going off script to get a problem corrected quickly and easily.

Here and on social networking sites, I am a lot more free to answer questions with the absolute best resolution and not concern myself with the limits of the troubleshooting scripts.

#67 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

And if they don't identify themselves, what's wrong with that?

I always assume everyone is lying on the Internet to at least some extent, starting with their screen name. Some DBSTalk members are telling whoppers.

Doesn't bother me. It makes it a lot easier to deal with some folks here when I don't believe what they say.

I just assumed that most posters only date models and earn 6 figures. The fact that I may be wrong makes me feel better.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#68 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

That's because the scripts used by the phone reps are created for the lowest common denominator, the tech agent that knows nothing more than what is on the screen in front of them. These are the "official" trouibleshooting scripts and going off script can have financial and potentially career changing affects. These scripts are written to protect the global interests of DirecTV and often the troubleshooting steps are not the best answer. I often have to decide whether it's worth going off script to get a problem corrected quickly and easily.

Here and on social networking sites, I am a lot more free to answer questions with the absolute best resolution and not concern myself with the limits of the troubleshooting scripts.

That's part of it, but even when going through a company's official social network channel. Of course some of that may be because I'm being public about a problem, but that didn't work too well for Patrick Stewart and Time Warner :)

I think some companies put higher level people as social networking reps, they have more options.

#69 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Half of us down here used to work for Dish! (well not literally half but there definitely are a few former Dish employees who moved to D*)

And vice-versa.

When I worked for E* I didn't run in to many people that previously worked at D*. However this could be different on the technical side of E* as I was on the sales side.

#70 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Many TEC (technical support agents) don't work for DirecTV at all, but a third-party company. It's in the USA, so no Habib Effect, but this is not private info, as the third-party company mentions DirecTV on its site.

As a TEC employee, I am stymied many times by the AAC scripts, but I won't risk a 10-point or more ding just to help a customer, even if I know the answer. Yes, I am a robot, but a robot that gets paid. That is how it is. The fact that it's work-from-home makes it worth it.

LOL Interesting Twitter page you have LOL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...