Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harman Kardon - upgrade or not?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Laxguy, I don't know which model Denon you have, so these suggestions may not apply since there are certainly differences between models.

My current setup is the classic 7.1 speaker setup using the 2 back channels. The room I'm in and the way it is laid out makes that very doable. I'm assuming you've run the Audyssey setup, but if you haven't, it is worth doing. I listened to mine before running that and the difference in performance and sound was very much improved.

Also, for my TV watching, I have selected the Movie mode which means on mine that is is decoding Dolby 5.1 and layering Dolby PIIx to fill in the 2 back channels, and also layering over the PCM when the channel isn't doing Dolby 5.1.

If you're not doing 7.1, then layering Dolby PIIx will fill in the surrounds and give your room a fuller sound. It does an excellent job of this.

I also do that same kind of layering for the BluRay discs so that if they are not encoded with a full 7.1 soundtrack (and most aren't), then it fills in those back speakers.

Basically by using that layering, you get a better immersion in the soundfield and makes it more movie theater like.

One other thing that I like with the networkable Denons is that they can be controlled a bit by a web browser. And it works mostly in just about any web browser on any platform. But on Windows only, not only can you control it, you can save your configuration to disk. That could come in handy if I ever need to do a complete unit reset, or if it needed to be sent off for repair.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,260 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Many thanks. My setup is very simple, as I am going to be moving and don't want to wire up anything here now, nor purchase a woofer. It's a 3.0. Good left and right, decent center speaker.

I guess I don't know what the best setting is for either classical music or movies or sports. I think that "Pure" is what I want for music, and DolbyPIIx for all else?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

That's what I would use. I don't really just listen to music on my rig, all is TV.

But since you have all those settings, you can play around a bit with them to see what sounds the best to you. For me, the Dolby PIIx Movie setting sounds the best, but there is Neo 6 that some seem to like better.

Kind of like the Audyssey setup routine. It sets the room eq to be as ideal as it can make it, but if your ears aren't ideal (mine sure aren't!), you may want to set some level differences. For instance, because of the way my left surround speaker is mounted, I bumped the level up on it a tad so I could hear it better. To me it that sounds proper, to Audyssey, I'm off a bit.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#44 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,260 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Ah, good. I did use Audessy in the first few minutes of setting it up, and may go again to see if there are tweaks, esp. since my right ear is a bit stronger than the left. Also, my model is the 1613. Best $400 I've spent in a bit, similar to the $200 3D Sony TV!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...