Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Locks up overnight EVERY night

Best Answer jmccull78 , 10 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

It appears that the particular television model being used through the HDMI port was to blame. After making countless calls and running the model number of the television, it was found that the particular samsung television was causing compatibility issues over the HDMI connection. Switched televisions, and the problem ceased.

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I wanted to put up the resolution to my original post. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   munsel6

munsel6

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have had these same issues with 2 or 3 722's, a 722k which was new not reconditioned and barely a month old. Had this happen 3 times last week. Tomorrow a tech is coming out to install a 922. Again receiver is fine at night, then when you try to turn on next morning you get no response from either TV 1 or TV 2, just a black screen and no sound. receiver has to be reset or have the power cord unplugged then plugged back in. Remotes have been replaced along with several receivers. After reading this Thread it does not appear that a 922 will be the answer to these issues

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Isn't new version S1.19 fixed the issue ?

#23 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

FWIW, I have had no problems with my 922 since I disconnected my 2 EHD's last weekend. Could be just a coincidence, or not. If you are having problems with your receiver and have a EHD connected you might want to try the experiment yourself. Disconnect the EHD for a week or so to see if the problems go away.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

If you'll keep just one EHD, would it have same issue.

#25 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have had EHD issues since I got the 922. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have one or both connected. When I turn the receiver on in the morning it usually doesn't see one or both of the EHD's. I've tried using the front usb and having one plugged in the back and one in the front but still have prob's. I have a powered hub but that also doesn't seem to make any difference.

Recently I read someone's post that thought having EHD's connected could be causing the black screen issue. So far having mine disconnected has fixed that problem. Of course now that I said that it could mess up tomorrow:(

I haven't seen any release notes on S119. What all is it supposed to fix?

#26 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Although it may work with both EHDs plugged in, we recommend only 1 at a time be connected to the receiver. Does the 922 recognize the EHD after you reboot the receiver?

I don't have information about the S1.19 software release yet. Thanks.

I have had EHD issues since I got the 922. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have one or both connected. When I turn the receiver on in the morning it usually doesn't see one or both of the EHD's. I've tried using the front usb and having one plugged in the back and one in the front but still have prob's. I have a powered hub but that also doesn't seem to make any difference.

Recently I read someone's post that thought having EHD's connected could be causing the black screen issue. So far having mine disconnected has fixed that problem. Of course now that I said that it could mess up tomorrow:(

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Perhaps need to turn off power safe features on the EHD?

#28 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Although it may work with both EHDs plugged in, we recommend only 1 at a time be connected to the receiver. Does the 922 recognize the EHD after you reboot the receiver?

I don't have information about the S1.19 software release yet. Thanks.

Hmmm, that's the first time I heard (or read) that even though the 922 can support up to 4 EHD's, you only recommend 1. Regardless, I had the same problems with only 1 connected. And the problems have occured on two different 922's as I'm on my 2nd one.

The only reason that I brought up my EHD problems was because it might relate to the black screen/locking up issues that so many (including me) seem to be having. It would be interesting to find out if that problem goes away after disconnecting the EHD.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I recall before the hopper, 922 works fine (did reboot each night as scheduled) with no-name EHD enclosure...

#30 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Perhaps need to turn off power safe features on the EHD?

I have read volumes of threads and posts about this. There seems to be a lot of opinions about whether the power save(or sleep mode) is actually the culprit when it comes to the receiver not seeing the EHD. I use a 1tb WD Essential and a 2tb WD Element. Both do go into power save mode but only the Essential has the built in user controls to turn off power save. Unfortunately the only way I can turn off power save on the Essential is to hook it up to my computer but when i do that it will want to re-format. I don't want to lose all the recordings.

The funny part of it is that once I re-boot the receiver and get the EHD's back (sorry Ray forgot to tell you) the 922 will continue to see them until the next morning, even if I turn it on/off several times in between. It seems as though everything stays connected and the receiver remains stable until the next morning.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Nope, you don't need to re-format.
It's just default action of your OS, just say NO to that and do disable the power safe mode.

#32 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Nope, you don't need to re-format.
It's just default action of your OS, just say NO to that and do disable the power safe mode.

Ok, I might try that with the Essential.

#33 OFFLINE   jmccull78

jmccull78

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:22 PM   Best Answer

It appears that the particular television model being used through the HDMI port was to blame. After making countless calls and running the model number of the television, it was found that the particular samsung television was causing compatibility issues over the HDMI connection. Switched televisions, and the problem ceased.

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I wanted to put up the resolution to my original post.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...