Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Let me ask this again

So if I delete all my recordings I wouldn't be at 100%?

If you delete all the recordings in your playlist you should be at 100% as far as what you see in the lower right corner of the playlist.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Because he delete almost half of his recorded shows. So if he had 200 hours of recorded shows, and he deleted 80 hours of them, what percentage of shows did he delete?

Others have said that the Genie takes up around 10%. In theory, he should only have to delete at least 20 hours of shows to get to 10%. He could delete a few more to be on the safe side. But then his free space indicator should start to go up.

The fact that the free space indicator isn't budging isn't a good sign.

I would recommend the Tivo's "clear to do list and season pass" option, as it has gotten a few Tivo users out of a similar jam. But the HR2xs don't have that option. Maybe he could do it manually -- remove all series links and reboot twice. But if that doesn't work, and it still refuses to record anything, what's the next step? Erase everything and start fresh.

All it takes is a few bad bytes in just the wrong place in the file system or partition table to wreak havoc.

I'm not a mind reader, so I need to count on what is posted, "and" have it make some sense.

If the file system were significantly corrupted, it would be cleared during a reboot when the DVR runs the self test.
Bad recordings disappear at this time.

There could be some guide data issues and maybe problems with the series links, but neither of these would stop a manual recording.

More accurate data/posts are needed to offer help as to what is going on and steps to take to try to resolve and/or find what the problem is.
A.K.A VOS

#183 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you delete all the recordings in your playlist you should be at 100% as far as what you see in the lower right corner of the playlist.

Thanks

JACK,

#184 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Let me ask this again

Sorry, I thought you were joking earlier.
An "empty drive" will show 100%, though I haven't emptied mine, but have had so few recordings as to be @ 98%.
A.K.A VOS

#185 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Let me ask this again

The percentage show is your percentage of the HDD.

Another member ran test as he swap drives of different sizes in and out and determine the Genie NR took 10% of the HDD space, no matter the size of the drive.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#186 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

The percentage show is your percentage of the HDD.

Another member ran test as he swap drives of different sizes in and out and determine the Genie NR took 10% of the HDD space, no matter the size of the drive.

Ok got it

JACK,

#187 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Stupid question....

For those wih the problem, what happens if you just press the record button while watching live TV?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#188 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm not a mind reader, so I need to count on what is posted, "and" have it make some sense.

If the file system were significantly corrupted, it would be cleared during a reboot when the DVR runs the self test.
Bad recordings disappear at this time.

There could be some guide data issues and maybe problems with the series links, but neither of these would stop a manual recording.

More accurate data/posts are needed to offer help as to what is going on and steps to take to try to resolve and/or find what the problem is.

The OP (and others) are looking for suggestions to try. You're not going to get more information unless you ask for it.

Problems don't have to make sense. And usually problems don't make sense when there's not enough information.

The manual recording suggestion is brilliant, but that could have been suggested a hundred posts back. :)

#189 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

The OP (and others) are looking for suggestions to try. You're not going to get more information unless you ask for it.

Problems don't have to make sense. And usually problems don't make sense when there's not enough information.

The manual recording suggestion is brilliant, but that could have been suggested a hundred posts back. :)

post #2 had something to try for the OP.

The second poster who said he/she had done this and it didn't help, was where more information was needed.
I asked and got one answer, but then it was flipped back to the first question.
To troubleshoot, there needs to be consistence responses.
If the poster is going in loops, so does the troubleshooting. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#190 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Stupid question....

For those wih the problem, what happens if you just press the record button while watching live TV?

Neither users reporting the issue have told us if it is actually not recording or if it is. That's part of the info VOS has been asking and not getting answers to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#191 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Just to try to get everyone on the same page:
[and I may not have all of this so feel free to add]

There is the TS who lost all free space, and has only deleted 8 HD shows. This wasn't/isn't enough to account for the 10% change. Until something more is done, there isn't much to do with this case.

There is a second poster [new to the forum] who has deleted "some recordings", and it seems like these were enough to have the free space return.
"Seems like" has yet to be explained constantly enough to know.
This DVR may have other problems.

I'm simply trying to verify "exactly" what has and hasn't been done, to get an idea of what to look/try next.
A.K.A VOS

#192 OFFLINE   alias4603

alias4603

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

I'll post this in hopes that maybe it will provide hope to those who are below zero on space.

My HR-34 was at 11% just before the software update. The next morning I noted that I now had 1% of available space. Never turned Genie on but still had problem. Wiped out a couple hours but that evening as it attempted to record the last of the 6-7 programs it was scheduled to record I received a message that it could not continue recording and I had to delete something. I decided I could live without Colbert signing off so I told it to stop recording. Since then, I've been able to stay ahead of the curve but am looking forward to watching a lot of TV (used up some time for that reading the 8 pages of this thread:)) and looking forward to wiping out a bunch more before the Sunday news shows use up another 4-5 hours. For those mathmeticians in the group - I record everything in HD. It appears that the update reserved 10% of the available space for it's own purposes but didn't erase anything to make that room, just won't let you record anything new in that space. This seems to indicate that it's not the software itself taking up that room since it would have to make that room for itself if it actually needed it for the operating system. Also, means that if and when they decide to fix the problem they created they should be able to do so. Not holding my breath.

Below is totally irrelevant stuff.

As an aside, I think where some of the comments got a little heated was when it appears XTC and a few others didn't appreciate being told that they had been doing something wrong in recording so many programs and using up all that space. At least, when I read all 8 pages at once that was my take. Frankly, I had the same reaction. I realize others aren't necessarily intending it that way (I actually came to this site to figure out how to hook up an external HD). That being said, if I want to use all of my storage space then that's my business. I travel a bit and so sometimes a lot of stuff gets recorded. I like the news so don't always get back to programs I've recorded for a while since they're seldom "current" like the news. Recently, recorded the whole of Breaking Bad that AMC was kind enough to broadcast saving me buying the series on DVD. That's 50 hours by itself. I realize that I'm at risk and might be a bit crazy but it's my (albeit leased) DVR and should get to use it the way I want. Having had a few days to cool off from my original "disappointment" in DT doing something without warning (they seem quite capable of sending me their promos) I no longer feel the need to rant. At least I hope this doesn't seem like a rant. But I can appreciate others with an actual problem being a little less circumspect. Had I been out of town and come back to find that nothing recorded for a few days I'm sure I'd give the others a run for their money.

Hopefully, this didn't offend anyone ... it surely wasn't meant to.

#193 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Stupid question....

Hi. Nothing it just gives the no space available message. Now another strange thing has happened. Once it tries to record something in the "to do" list, it shows that it has recorded three times in the playlist. All the same channel, all the same time, with zero minutes recorded. It is so screwed up! Like the available space, there have been zero answers from DT. Going into the 4th day of this and counting.

#194 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Neither users reporting the issue have told us if it is actually not recording or if it is. That's part of the info VOS has been asking and not getting answers to.

Hi. It will not record, as it thinks there is zero space, even though there should be plenty.

#195 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

I'll post this in hopes that maybe it will provide hope to those who are below zero on space.

Below is totally irrelevant stuff.

Hopefully, this didn't offend anyone ... it surely wasn't meant to.

:welcome_s to the forum.

Good post.

I'm not sure if my posts were taken as "doing something wrong", as they were meant to be "time to change" how you do it, to work with this.

It's going to take a couple/few days, but I'm trying to fill up my drive and count how many hours it holds.
It won't hold as many as before, but some say they've gotten 212 hours before and a loss of 10% may or may not be too drastic.
A.K.A VOS

#196 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

:welcome_s to the forum.

Good post.

I'm not sure if my posts were taken as "doing something wrong", as they were meant to be "time to change" how you do it, to work with this.

It's going to take a couple/few days, but I'm trying to fill up my drive and count how many hours it holds.
It won't hold as many as before, but some say they've gotten 212 hours before and a loss of 10% may or may not be too drastic.

Good grief man....you're up early doing research this morning! :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#197 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi. See my earlier post. I was the second one on here with the problem. I've deleted approx 40% of the space and I'm still at 0% available. No reboot, reset, or any amount of deleting is changing anything. If you delete all of the future programs, the moment you add another one, it thinks it is recording it and the space is still at 0%. There is an obvious software problem that is affecting some of the HR 34 DVRs. I spoke with Directv tonight and they said their diagnostic team is still working on it.

The problem is not solved by deleting because the DVR thinks it is recording every program that is in the "to do" list for the next two weeks. The orange R is next to every show. Of course, it is not recording anything, but it thinks it is, so the software is not working. If you delete the to do list, them add something new, say for next week, it thinks it is recording it. Doesn't make any sense.

Hi. [Pressing record while watching live TV does] nothing it just gives the no space available message. Now another strange thing has happened. Once it tries to record something in the "to do" list, it shows that it has recorded three times in the playlist. All the same channel, all the same time, with zero minutes recorded. It is so screwed up! Like the available space, there have been zero answers from DT. Going into the 4th day of this and counting.

That is such odd behavior! I don't think I've ever heard of that type of behavior in the 12 years I've been using DVRs. I hope D* can send you out a software patch that'll let you at least record something again. But I'd start watching or transferring as much as I could. Unfortunately, I think a hard drive wipe or a DVR exchange is in your near future.

The only other thing I would suggest is to delete all of your scheduled recordings -- all the series links, future individual shows, etc. The to do list should be totally empty. Then reboot, wait 15 minutes, then reboot again. That should flush the guide data and hopefully restore normal behavior. Wait an hour or two, then delete a single recording and see if the free space indicator moves off of 0%. If so, pick a single program an hour to two in the future to record and cross your fingers. (VOS has a good suggestion of having this recording be a manual recording, to exclude guide data corruption as the source of the problem.) Good luck!

#198 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

For anyone counting hours, don't forget to include the automatic pre- and post-padding DIRECTV adds. You won't see it in the progress bar or program description, but unless a program is manually padded, DIRECTV records 30 seconds earlier than the start time and 2 minutes after the end time.

Thus for every 24 hours of shows you record and don't manually pad, there's an extra hour of space used for the pre- and post-padding.

#199 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

For anyone counting hours, don't forget to include the automatic pre- and post-padding DIRECTV adds. You won't see it in the progress bar or program description, but unless a program is manually padded, DIRECTV records 30 seconds earlier than the start time and 2 minutes after the end time.

Thus for every 24 hours of shows you record and don't manually pad, there's an extra hour of space used for the pre- and post-padding.

Good point! And, I'd point out again that MBs required for an hour long show can vary pretty wildly, so whatever tests are made will be ball park... unless you get real specific and record the same content over and over.... Someone, perhaps Runner, some time ago, posted some ranges by taking an external, hooking to his computer, and noting file sizes.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#200 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

"You know", I hadn't even thought of that.
It could end up being as much as 8 hours!
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall