Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi. It will not record, as it thinks there is zero space, even though there should be plenty.

I'm not sure if you're interested in trying to get some help here, or just want to wait for DirecTV's response.

If you are interested, maybe you can count the hours of recordings you have now. It may be a pain, but if you lists the hours & types [HD/SD/OTA] it would help for us to know where things are.

If you're not, then no problem.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

"You know", I hadn't even thought of that.
It could end up being as much as 8 hours!

Yup, I think the automatic pre- and post-padding is one of the best features DIRECTV introduced, and being invisible and "just working" it's often overlooked and forgotten when looking at storage space...

So record 24 hours, use 25...

100 hours recorded = 104 used (plus a few minutes)

200 hours = 208 hours (plus minutes), which is close to the 212 hours that someone posted earlier they used to see as a max.

(Again, only for shows you don't add your own manual padding to.)

#203 OFFLINE   alias4603

alias4603

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

By my quick count of shows on my box I have 238 hours of HD programs recorded. Virtually all with my default 1 minute before, 3 minutes after setting. I'll let someone else estimate the slop but I'm at 2% available. So I'm ball-parking if I was unfortunate enough to have been at zero % on the day of the software "enhancement" I would be looking at watching/deleting 25-30 hours of programs before I would be able to record something again. Obviously, much, much more if I had shows in SD.

I don't know how the 40% number for deletions and still can't record was reached by Seabreak. In fact, if your available is showing zero percent I don't know how it's possible to be done. But I wouldn't reformat or replace your drive until you've watched or deleted enough that your available is above zero. I've already bumped up against it and you will not be able to record a program either manually or scheduled until you're out of the hole. Then my box went back to operating just like before when at the limits. If I watch something and free up an hour then I can record an hour.

#204 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

By my quick count of shows on my box I have 238 hours of HD programs recorded. Virtually all with my default 1 minute before, 3 minutes after setting. I'll let someone else estimate the slop but I'm at 2% available. So I'm ball-parking if I was unfortunate enough to have been at zero % on the day of the software "enhancement" I would be looking at watching/deleting 25-30 hours of programs before I would be able to record something again. Obviously, much, much more if I had shows in SD.

I don't know how the 40% number for deletions and still can't record was reached by Seabreak. In fact, if your available is showing zero percent I don't know how it's possible to be done. But I wouldn't reformat or replace your drive until you've watched or deleted enough that your available is above zero. I've already bumped up against it and you will not be able to record a program either manually or scheduled until you're out of the hole. Then my box went back to operating just like before when at the limits. If I watch something and free up an hour then I can record an hour.

Do you have Dolby Digital on or off?

#205 OFFLINE   alias4603

alias4603

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

On.

#206 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Why would this make any difference? :confused: The SAT feed doesn't know or care.

I'm getting the feeling that my exercise will become [or is] completely pointless.
The variations in bit-rates between shows looks to have more effect on the hours than anything else.
I've only got to 72% so far and have 66 hrs of HD.

Extrapolating this would mean 235 hours @ 0% and not even accounting for the soft padding.
A.K.A VOS

#207 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Why would this make any difference? :confused: The SAT feed doesn't know or care.

I'm getting the feeling that my exercise will become [or is] completely pointless.
The variations in bit-rates between shows looks to have more effect on the hours than anything else.

Extrapolating this would mean 235 hours @ 0% and not even accounting for the soft padding.

I was thinking for some reason that recordings would be larger if DD is turned on, but that is not the case. Sorry.

#208 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

FWIW, first check after Genie was installed, with 1% free, I counted 195 hours MPEG-4 HD and 10 hours SD on my playlist.
/steve

#209 OFFLINE   alias4603

alias4603

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

For what it's worth, I think you can save yourself the effort. Since we all would end up with different max hours recorded to get to zero you would only be another datapoint. At least, in my case it appears I could record somewhere near 260-270 hours of my mix of programs preGenie. Now around 240. If you finish your experiment you will only know what zero works like not what being at "below" zero works like. I've already experienced what you're heading for and it's no different than before Genie.

#210 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

For what it's worth, I think you can save yourself the effort. Since we all would end up with different max hours recorded to get to zero you would only be another datapoint. At least, in my case it appears I could record somewhere near 260-270 hours of my mix of programs preGenie. Now around 240. If you finish your experiment you will only know what zero works like not what being at "below" zero works like. I've already experienced what you're heading for and it's no different than before Genie.

Yeah, I got the idea last night and started before reading your first post.
I may let it go to 50%, just to get some idea, as early in this thread, 180 hours was looking like what the limit was.

"We know" we won't have as many hours as before, but it does look like DirecTV could still be fair saying "up to 200 hours", and most would get the 200 hours.

For those living on the edge and exceeding the 200 hours before, this may not be much help.
A.K.A VOS

#211 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

I was thinking for some reason that recordings would be larger if DD is turned on, but that is not the case. Sorry.

DD is recorded whether or not you have it on in the UI. That allows you to turn it on at a later time if so desired.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#212 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

OK, for those people suffering with this issue, here's the information you'll be interested in, and pretty much ignore the previous advice given in this thread by the so-called experts.

I got through to the department that handles the HR34s. They said this has become a known issue and they are in the middle of working on it. They say a new update will probably be sent anywhere between a few days to a week, but they are not sure. They also said deleting programs from your playlist will NOT fix the issue. He said people have cleared their entire playlist and were still at 0%! So no one should follow the advice given here by the so-called experts unless you wanna lose all your recordings without watching them first and still have nothing to show for it. And they said the Genie feature should not have taken up any additional hard drive space originally allocated to the user.

So again, don't delete recordings like mentioned here, don't buy new hard drives just because of this issue if you weren't planning on it beforehand, and never bend over for a company like some of the posters here enjoy doing. If you are paying for a service, make sure you get what you pay for!

#213 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

OK, for those people suffering with this issue, here's the information you'll be interested in, and pretty much ignore the previous advice given in this thread by the so-called experts.

I'm glad you are satisfied with the answers you were given by DIRECTV, but I'm sorry xtc, but you are not doing yourself any favors by maligning the folks here you did want to help you.

#214 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I got through to the department that handles the HR34s. They said this has become a known issue and they are in the middle of working on it. They say a new update will probably be sent anywhere between a few days to a week, but they are not sure. They also said deleting programs from your playlist will NOT fix the issue. He said people have cleared their entire playlist and were still at 0%! So no one should follow the advice given here by the so-called experts unless you wanna lose all your recordings without watching them first and still have nothing to show for it. And they said the Genie feature should not have taken up any additional hard drive space originally allocated to the user.

So again, don't delete recordings like mentioned here, don't buy new hard drives just because of this issue if you weren't planning on it beforehand, and never bend over for a company like some of the posters here enjoy doing. If you are paying for a service, make sure you get what you pay for!

If known, why was it release would be my next question to the person you spoke to.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#215 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

This release was tested by 77 users of this board before release, and no one reported the issue. Sometimes, you need a perfect storm of circumstances for a bug to appear. Apparently a very small number of users, all of whom were running with really full drives, provided such a set of circumstances. Software has bugs...all of it, from every source. That's life in the digital age.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#216 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

I'm glad you are satisfied with the answers you were given by DIRECTV, but I'm sorry xtc, but you are not doing yourself any favors by maligning the folks here you did want to help you.

Don't group everyone in the same category. There were those that tried to help, and others who didn't have that intention at all. The difference is obvious.

#217 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

This release was tested by 77 users of this board before release, and no one reported the issue. Sometimes, you need a perfect storm of circumstances for a bug to appear. Apparently a very small number of users, all of whom were running with really full drives, provided such a set of circumstances. Software has bugs...all of it, from every source. That's life in the digital age.

No. First of all, it's not a very small number of users. They said they got a huge amount of feedback on this. And it had nothing to do with drives being close to full.

#218 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Please remember to keep comments from becoming personal. We're glad to hear you found an acceptable answer.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#219 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

No. First of all, it's not a very small number of users. They said they got a huge amount of feedback on this. And it had nothing to do with drives being close to full.

I would like to disagree, but I don't have access to the numbers they do.
I do have access to users who've been using this software for a few weeks.
The lost or change in free space has been fairly consistent with what's been posted in this thread, though I don't think anyone went to 0%, but a few were at 1%.
In your case, you might find watching and deleting about four more hours will bring you back to having free space.
"I'd imagine" this could be done a lot sooner than another software update will come.
A.K.A VOS

#220 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Interesting to believe one tech's explanation is it, the whole enchilada, whereas several people with much experience are maligned for their posts.

Interesting that, IIRC, only one person initially recommended re-setting the entire drive.

Interesting that many direct questions were left unanswered.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...