Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

No. First of all, it's not a very small number of users. They said they got a huge amount of feedback on this. And it had nothing to do with drives being close to full.

The evidence available is that something around 10 users have had an "unable to record anything" issue. There may certainly be more, but we don't have any evidence one way or another.

I will be the first to say that even 10 users losing the functionality of their DVRs is 10 too many. All involved users have every right to be upset with DirecTV and the latest software update.

However, no hardware failure justifies name calling directed at other users of this board. Many users tried to offer suggestions, all offered in good faith, to try and help the effected users regain normal functionality. Unfortunately, it appears the only solution that some would accept was immediately restoration of functionality with no action on their part at all. Since no one here can change the software on another user's DVR, that was not going to happen.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of time and effort people like VOS spend trying to help others. I have seen them persevere with incomplete and often conflicting responses. To see them be the focus of someone's anger and name calling while trying to help is very distressing.

I hope that everyone's problems are resolved quickly and to their satisfaction. I also hope that those that offered suggestions based upon their experience are not dissuaded from offering help to others in the future. This thread has proven to me once again the truth of the adage "No good deed goes unpunished."

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm just hoping to keep this thread on the positive.

We've all heard the stories from the CSRs, that it will be fixed with a software update. Sometimes they're right and a few here know about it, while other times it's all the CSR can come up with to try to make the customer feel better, but there isn't a software fix in the works.

"It would be a shame", to have a DVR not function just because there were 4 to 6 hours of recordings too many, and then wait endlessly for a software update to come that doesn't fix it.
A.K.A VOS

#223 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

That is such odd behavior! I don't think I've ever heard of that type of behavior in the 12 years I've been using DVRs. I hope D* can send you out a software patch that'll let you at least record something again. But I'd start watching or transferring as much as I could. Unfortunately, I think a hard drive wipe or a DVR exchange is in your near future.

The only other thing I would suggest is to delete all of your scheduled recordings -- all the series links, future individual shows, etc. The to do list should be totally empty. Then reboot, wait 15 minutes, then reboot again. That should flush the guide data and hopefully restore normal behavior. Wait an hour or two, then delete a single recording and see if the free space indicator moves off of 0%. If so, pick a single program an hour to two in the future to record and cross your fingers. (VOS has a good suggestion of having this recording be a manual recording, to exclude guide data corruption as the source of the problem.) Good luck!

Thank you! I'll try it after I speak with DT tomorrow if nothing else works. I have a feeling a new receiver is in my future.

#224 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

I'm not sure if you're interested in trying to get some help here, or just want to wait for DirecTV's response.

If you are interested, maybe you can count the hours of recordings you have now. It may be a pain, but if you lists the hours & types [HD/SD/OTA] it would help for us to know where things are.

If you're not, then no problem.

Hi. I would love some help and appreciate everyone trying. I've been working with DT since Wed. and nothing has been solved. I'm trying every bit of advice that I get. I'm trying to avoid having to reformat, however, I have a feeling it is headed that way. This seems to be such an unusual problem, that I'm not sure anyone will figure it out. Although, I'm thankful for the attempt to help. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

#225 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hi. I would love some help and appreciate everyone trying. I've been working with DT since Wed. and nothing has been solved. I'm trying every bit of advice that I get. I'm trying to avoid having to reformat, however, I have a feeling it is headed that way. This seems to be such an unusual problem, that I'm not sure anyone will figure it out. Although, I'm thankful for the attempt to help. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

"Yeah" I don't think anyone wants a reformat.

I've just reached 50%, but I want [for my test] to go a bit farther.

Could you count the hours of recordings you have?
How many HD [mostly]
How many SD
And if any are from the AM21

If you can give the hours & type of recording you have, by tomorrow morning, I'll be able to make some comparisons with "my numbers".

From this I hope to get a better idea of the state yours is in.

The odd case [maybe wildcard] is that you'd gone into a negative state, and I'm not sure what that may have caused.

Going down to 1% is one thing, but maybe everything goes to hell when the DVR has gone into the negative region.
This might end up being a scary reformat case, but let's see what the numbers/hours show first.
A.K.A VOS

#226 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

The reduction in user HDD space is probably related to the increase in HD channels per transponder. If we can now record six hours in the same space that five hours previously took up, then we haven't really lost any capacity as long as we keep deleting and recording shows.

#227 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

I would do a menu reset now that you've deleted things. If that doesn't work I would force a download of the software again and if that doesn't work I would run a surface test.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#228 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

You can try waiting for the fix. Only you can decide if you can live without your DVR doing the 'R' for a week or so or if you want to watch your recordings instead.

I only recommended the reformat because not everyone has this issue, and I assumed D* tested this release on a factory default box. So if you put your box back to its factory-released state it should hopefully start working again. They obviously didn't thoroughly test this release on a full box.

EDIT: You can attach a blank eSATA drive. Then reboot. Hopefully you'll be able to record on it. The old recordings will not be shown, and every time you want to watch the old recordings you'll have to reboot with the eSATA drive detached. While your watching the old recordings, you won't be able to record anything new, but at least you can limp along like this until D* figures out what to do.

I'd still watch or transfer as many shows as possible. Once in a while a D* emergency software release will wipe out some or all recordings for a few unfortunate people. There's also a chance a reformat may end up being the 'fix', or maybe the fix is to prevent it from happening in the future but the damage done on existing units is irreparable.

Edited by bobcamp1, 30 September 2012 - 12:04 PM.
Added eSATA comment.

#229 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

The reduction in user HDD space is probably related to the increase in HD channels per transponder. If we can now record six hours in the same space that five hours previously took up, then we haven't really lost any capacity as long as we keep deleting and recording shows.

I would do a menu reset now that you've deleted things. If that doesn't work I would force a download of the software again and if that doesn't work I would run a surface test.

David, the use of improved encoders may help keep "the hours" the same with less hard drive space. This of course won't help those that started with a full drive.

Shades, once we can get an idea of how many hours are stored on the drive, we should be able to get an idea of what the percentage "really is".
If this doesn't match the reading, then I too would suggest a reboot. If nothing has changed, then another reboot and at the screen showing "running receiver self test" I'd press select on the front panel and run the guided tests.
There are long and short tests under the drive menu, and I'd start with the short ones, as the long ones will take a very long time.
After it finished, I'd let it boot again and see if anything has changed.
If not, then I'd reboot and go back into the test menu and run the long tests. This will take a very long time.

Here are my numbers this morning:
Pressed list, then the yellow button, then selected filter playlist and local playlist. Now I'm only seeing what is on this drive and not my MRV recording.
42% free, or 58% used, took 142.3 hours of HD. These were all MPEG-4 and a random mix of 720p & 1080i.
0% or 100% full, would take 245 hours.
One percent looks to average 2.45 hours.
As I deleted shows one hour at a time, sometimes deleting 2 hours didn't change the indicated free space, but the next hour did, so the 2.45 looks close.

If you have an AM-21 and record OTA, these recording are much larger so one hour could be close to 1%.
I'd watch and delete these first to get the most free space.

If all of your recordings are MPEG-4/SAT channels, then about 220 hours of HD, should show 10% free space.
If you don't see any free space, then I'd do the rebooting and diagnostic testing.
Re-downloading the software very rarely changes anything.
I checked the version just now and it's the same 05C2, so you can't "go back" to the earlier version.
A.K.A VOS

#230 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I only recommended the reformat because not everyone has this issue, and I assumed D* tested this release on a factory default box. So if you put your box back to its factory-released state it should hopefully start working again. They obviously didn't thoroughly test this release on a full box.

I don't know of anyone seeing 0% in testing.
Several saw 1%.
I hope the steps posted above will help.
If they don't, I too fear "the fix" may so deep in the drive that it ends up blank.
Sometimes this happens with a PC's hard drive when you run the manufacture's utilities to repair a drive.
A.K.A VOS

#231 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Here are my numbers this morning:
Pressed list, then the yellow button, then selected filter playlist and local playlist. Now I'm only seeing what is on this drive and not my MRV recording.
42% free, or 58% used, took 142.3 hours of HD. These were all MPEG-4 and a random mix of 720p & 1080i.
0% or 100% full, would take 245 hours.
One percent looks to average 2.45 hours.
As I deleted shows one hour at a time, sometimes deleting 2 hours didn't change the indicated free space, but the next hour did, so the 2.45 looks close.

The sentence I bolded is a key one, because it definitely depends on the length of the recording and which channel it was from (due to differences in encoding compression) how much of a percentage change there will be in the free space bar. I've had situations where I deleted four one hour HD programs before the free space changed by 1%, so I had a different "average".

Thus there's a plus and minus with each count in this thread: those 142.3 hours could be a flat 58% of free space used, where it would take an additional 4 hours to move to 59%, so 145.3 hours could also have used 58%. Just pointing out that everything is "ballpark" ... so many variables to take into account.

#232 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

The sentence I bolded is a key one, because it definitely depends on the length of the recording and which channel it was from (due to differences in encoding compression) how much of a percentage change there will be in the free space bar. I've had situations where I deleted four one hour HD programs before the free space changed by 1%, so I had a different "average".

Thus there's a plus and minus with each count in this thread: those 142.3 hours could be a flat 58% of free space used, where it would take an additional 4 hours to move to 59%, so 145.3 hours could also have used 58%. Just pointing out that everything is "ballpark" ... so many variables to take into account.

"yep" this isn't an exact science and the percentage is a fairly gross measurement.
I went back into my playlist after I'd deleted enough to "just get to" 50%, and it now shows 49%.
I "would hope" using a large number of recordings would help to give a more nominal result, as to hours/percentage.

I feel fairly confident that 220 hours of MPEG-4 should show "some" free space.
A.K.A VOS

#233 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Interesting to believe one tech's explanation is it, the whole enchilada, whereas several people with much experience are maligned for their posts.

Interesting that, IIRC, only one person initially recommended re-setting the entire drive.

Interesting that many direct questions were left unanswered.

The only people I believe at D* are the ACT and the Case Management folks. Gotta wonder who this "tech" was. I haven't run into many "techs" while calling D*. I have run into many "pacifiers", tho.

Rich

#234 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thank you! I'll try it after I speak with DT tomorrow if nothing else works. I have a feeling a new receiver is in my future.

What other things have you tried?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#235 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hello all,
In the hope this adds something constructive to the conversation:

I have just gotten my HR-34 and have but a few recordings on it. However, I got the Genie Recommends update and I believe I am experiencing difficulties related to what the OP describes.

Deleting future recordings (say a couple of days ahead) from my To-Do list results in a message that the show is currently recording. Additionally, my free hard-drive space has taken a hit (down to 84% free: down from something in the 90s with only about 20 hours of HD programming recorded) after I added several series recordings/recurring manual recordings.

I am willing to be a guinea pig here and do a full-blown reset to see if that helps the problem. The only thing I ask in return is for someone to help me if I get stuck during Guided Setup after the reformat.

#236 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hello all,
In the hope this adds something constructive to the conversation:

I have just gotten my HR-34 and have but a few recordings on it. However, I got the Genie Recommends update and I believe I am experiencing difficulties related to what the OP describes.

Deleting future recordings (say a couple of days ahead) from my To-Do list results in a message that the show is currently recording. Additionally, my free hard-drive space has taken a hit (down to 84% free: down from something in the 90s with only about 20 hours of HD programming recorded) after I added several series recordings/recurring manual recordings.

I am willing to be a guinea pig here and do a full-blown reset to see if that helps the problem. The only thing I ask in return is for someone to help me if I get stuck during Guided Setup after the reformat.

I would recommend you don't do that, there is nothing to be gained at this point.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#237 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I just thought I was in a unique position to help...

But if there is nothing to be gained, then so be it.

#238 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I just thought I was in a unique position to help...

But if there is nothing to be gained, then so be it.

Your recording "load" is so light, I'm not sure there is anything to be gained.
"You can always" do a receiver restart from the setup menu.

What might be of some interest [to me at least] is how many recording "hours" you have and are these from the SAT feed or do you have the AM-21 for OTA?
A.K.A VOS

#239 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Your recording "load" is so light, I'm not sure there is anything to be gained.
"You can always" do a receiver restart from the setup menu.

What might be of some interest [to me at least] is how many recording "hours" you have and are these from the SAT feed or do you have the AM-21 for OTA?

Did the receiver restart.
Cleared the to do list and the series manager and did a restart.
No Joy. Problem persists.

Curiosity got the better of me and I did the full reset-No dice. problem persists

I am pretty sure that I remember what was on the drive and from that a quick calculation yields 33.5 hours (give or take a half an hour). More than I thought.
Receiver read 84% capacity.
Doing the math: 209 hours total capacity.
All from the SAT feed.
30 of the hours in HD and 16 of them sports programming.

Very Funny Thing Though: It now seems that Whole-Home DVR service is authorized while it wasn't before taking the reset plunge!

#240 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Did the receiver restart.
Cleared the to do list and the series manager and did a restart.
No Joy. Problem persists.

Curiosity got the better of me and I did the full reset-No dice. problem persists

I am pretty sure that I remember what was on the drive and from that a quick calculation yields 33.5 hours (give or take a half an hour). More than I thought.
Receiver read 84% capacity.
Doing the math: 209 hours total capacity.
All from the SAT feed.
30 of the hours in HD and 16 of them sports programming.

Very Funny Thing Though: It now seems that Whole-Home DVR service is authorized while it wasn't before taking the reset plunge!

There is some variable with the type of programing, so I'd do as I did and load it up until you get to around 50%. Then do a count of the hours.
Small sample sizes allow for more extrapolation error.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall