Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Small sample sizes allow for more extrapolation error.

Yes quite true....
I'll be happy to load up and give you another count in a day or so.

The Whole Home DVR is "not authorized" anymore- got hit with a pop-up that said the trial service was ending. Whaddayou gonna do? I thought I worked myself some good karma for trying to help but it wasn't to be it seems.

Edited by statsman, 30 September 2012 - 10:10 PM.
update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yes quite true....
I'll be happy to load up and give you another count in a day or so.

I'd guess it might take a couple of days. :lol:
Sports shows have a lot of movement so they don't compress as well with MPEG-4 as other programs with less movement.
A.K.A VOS

#243 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

Even if it takes a couple of days...

I am a big soccer fan and the European competitions are on this week so I plan to have the HR-34 firing on all cylinders.:)

#244 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

OK, for those people suffering with this issue, here's the information you'll be interested in, and pretty much ignore the previous advice given in this thread by the so-called experts.

I got through to the department that handles the HR34s. They said this has become a known issue and they are in the middle of working on it. They say a new update will probably be sent anywhere between a few days to a week, but they are not sure. They also said deleting programs from your playlist will NOT fix the issue. He said people have cleared their entire playlist and were still at 0%! So no one should follow the advice given here by the so-called experts unless you wanna lose all your recordings without watching them first and still have nothing to show for it. And they said the Genie feature should not have taken up any additional hard drive space originally allocated to the user.

So again, don't delete recordings like mentioned here, don't buy new hard drives just because of this issue if you weren't planning on it beforehand, and never bend over for a company like some of the posters here enjoy doing. If you are paying for a service, make sure you get what you pay for!

I have a suggestion for you to try. It requires you deleting nothing, but should tell you if you did erase stuff if it would ever make an impact on the available %...

Go to your playlist, open up the options (yellow or dash buttons) and choose mark to delete. Then start selecting shows, and keep selecting them down your playlist. See if at any point the available % bar starts to show cross hatched on it. If it does, then if you where to actually delete that many shows, the cross hatched stuff should become available space. If you get to the point that you have everything in your playlist selected for deletion and you saw no cross hatching then deleting recordings will likely have zero affect..

Obviously, do not choose continue and confirm delete, unless you really want to erase what you have selected. You can just exit out leaving your playlist untouched. I don't know if you have ever used that function, but the cross hatch represents the amount that is selected to be erased, but the % number does not change unless you actually erase what you have selected.

I am simply suggesting this as a way to possibly verify what you where told by the csr you spoke to. If you see no cross hatching after selecting everything, then I'd say the csr is right on, if not, then I have to question their statements, because it would APPEAR erasing some programs would actually free up your hard drive. Just a thought....

:D

#245 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I have a suggestion for you to try. It requires you deleting nothing, but should tell you if you did erase stuff if it would ever make an impact on the available %...
Just a thought....

:D

The is excellent!!!!!

I've never used mark for delete, since space hasn't been a problem.

I just tried your steps with my 89% free space indicated and the blue indicator did exactly what you said.
After watching & marking all of my recordings, I pressed exit and was out with nothing deleted.
A.K.A VOS

#246 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Go to your playlist, open up the options (yellow or dash buttons) and choose mark to delete.

The is excellent!!!!!

I've never used mark for delete, since space hasn't been a problem.

I just tried your steps with my 89% free space indicated and the blue indicator did exactly what you said.
After watching & marking all of my recordings, I pressed exit and was out with nothing deleted.

Agreed! Excellent suggestion inkahauts!

DIRECTV should actually add this to their own CSR troubleshooting scripts for this specific issue, as they could walk the user through this and determine how many deletions would make difference, if any..

#247 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Did the receiver restart.
Cleared the to do list and the series manager and did a restart.
No Joy. Problem persists.

Curiosity got the better of me and I did the full reset-No dice. problem persists

I am pretty sure that I remember what was on the drive and from that a quick calculation yields 33.5 hours (give or take a half an hour). More than I thought.
Receiver read 84% capacity.
Doing the math: 209 hours total capacity.
All from the SAT feed.
30 of the hours in HD and 16 of them sports programming.

Very Funny Thing Though: It now seems that Whole-Home DVR service is authorized while it wasn't before taking the reset plunge!

So a Clear and Delete Everything from the menu didn't work? At this point, you're just going to have to wait for D* to fix it or get an HR24. You could exchange the HR34 for a new one, but I have the nagging feeling it might be related to either your account or your setup. Or maybe some latent defect for a certain lot of units.

It doesn't appear to be related to how full your hard drive is. You're the first one who's said their hard drive wasn't full.

Edited by bobcamp1, 01 October 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#248 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

So a Clear and Delete Everything from the menu didn't work? At this point, you're just going to have to wait for D* to fix it or get an HR24. You could exchange the HR34 for a new one, but I have the nagging feeling it might be related to either your account or your setup.

It doesn't appear to be related to how full your hard drive is. You're the first one who's said their hard drive wasn't full.

I don't think a reset everything was done.

Maybe only reset defaults was.

Edited by veryoldschool, 01 October 2012 - 08:01 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#249 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I don't think a reset everything was done.

Maybe only reset defaults was.

No, I reset everything (got the storage space reformatted and everything) and when it was over the receiver still "thought" it was currently recording shows scheduled hours and days in the future. :shrug:

I didn't activate "Genie Recommends" when given the option but that made no difference.

#250 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

No, I reset everything (got the storage space reformatted and everything) and when it was over the receiver still "thought" it was currently recording shows scheduled hours and days in the future. :shrug:

I didn't activate "Genie Recommends" when given the option but that made no difference.

Did you lose recordings?
The receiver "thinking" it's recording upcoming programs is a bug in the software, so that isn't going to change without an update.
A.K.A VOS

#251 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

yeah I lost recordings but I had watched about half of them (sports programming) and the rest were sit-coms and a handful of movies. My R22 was still recording my series so my loss was negligible.

#252 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

yeah I lost recordings but I had watched about half of them (sports programming) and the rest were sit-coms and a handful of movies. My R22 was still recording my series so my loss was negligible.

OK, then it did what you'd asked.
Series links & recordings are gone, because they're stored on the drive.

Resetting defaults clears user settings, but doesn't wipe the drive.

"restarting receiver" is the best way to "simply reboot" the DVR.

since your "sports programing" looks to take up the most space, it might be good to only record those for a while so we can get a "worst case" for the number of hours.
A.K.A VOS

#253 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

since your "sports programing" looks to take up the most space, it might be good to only record those for a while so we can get a "worst case" for the number of hours.

I won't be able to accommodate this request: other members of the household only use the living room TV (where the HR-34 currently resides) and they have weekday series that need to be recorded.

On the plus side, I personally record a lot of sports and as I said this week will be especially sports-centric with UEFA soccer competitions on this week. So we won't get a worse case scenario but it might be more valuable to have a sample that better approximates the recording load of a sports fan.

#254 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Is it actually recording the new shows correctly now that you've formatted the disk? Can you play the recordings back? Others have said that their free space indicator is stuck at 0% and it looks like it's recording everything, even though it isn't actually recording anything.

#255 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Is it actually recording the new shows correctly now that you've formatted the disk? Can you play the recordings back? Others have said that their free space indicator is stuck at 0% and it looks like it's recording everything, even though it isn't actually recording anything.

It's recording the new shows correctly.
I can play the recordings back.
My free space indicator is at 84%.

Problem is, it still looks to the machine like all future To-Do recordings are currently recording.

#256 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Problem is, it still looks to the machine like all future To-Do recordings are currently recording.

Again, this is a bug in the software, but nothing more and doesn't effect anything, other than being a nuisance to the user.
A.K.A VOS

#257 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Others have said that their free space indicator is stuck at 0% and it looks like it's recording everything, even though it isn't actually recording anything.

These "others" should look at the mark for delete option and then report what it shows.
In this thread, one doesn't want to delete, and the other hasn't given the number of hours in their playlist.
A.K.A VOS

#258 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

***Again, this is a bug in the software, but nothing more and doesn't effect anything, other than being a nuisance to the user.***

Did I say otherwise?
It certainly seems to be an issue for those whose HDD were almost full...but for customers with lots of hard drive space, like me, it is just a nuisance.

#259 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

***Again, this is a bug in the software, but nothing more and doesn't effect anything, other than being a nuisance to the user.***

Did I say otherwise?
It certainly seems to be an issue for those whose HDD were almost full...but for customers with lots of hard drive space, like me, it is just a nuisance.

I'm just trying to separate the true problems with hard drive space and a bug that has nothing to do with it, though they both came in the same software.
A.K.A VOS

#260 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm just trying to separate the true problems with hard drive space and a bug that has nothing to do with it, though they both came in the same software.

Okay, I just didn't understand that these were 2 separate issues. I was under the mistaken impression that the 34 thinking it was currently recording all future items in the To-Do list was part and parcel of the problem of the OP.

Mea culpa.

spam firewall