Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Agreed! Excellent suggestion inkahauts!

DIRECTV should actually add this to their own CSR troubleshooting scripts for this specific issue, as they could walk the user through this and determine how many deletions would make difference, if any..

Probably just confuse the CSRs. Even the Protection Plan CSRs are kinda useless anymore. The other day I called the PP about a problem I was having with an HR20-700. She didn't know what that was and that was a PP CSR!

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

The is excellent!!!!!

I've never used mark for delete, since space hasn't been a problem.

I just tried your steps with my 89% free space indicated and the blue indicator did exactly what you said.
After watching & marking all of my recordings, I pressed exit and was out with nothing deleted.

Hey, every once in a while I get a good idea! Guess this was my once for the year! !rolling

I always set up my dvrs to just record all movies during free weekend previews of the premium channels, then use mark to delete to erase all the ones I know I wont watch after the weekend is over. I love the feature ;)

#263 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Probably just confuse the CSRs. Even the Protection Plan CSRs are kinda useless anymore. The other day I called the PP about a problem I was having with an HR20-700. She didn't know what that was and that was a PP CSR!

Rich

I agree. The only person who might think of this is a tech rep that has actual experience with the units. Asking a front line csr to do this would be a waste, because they really wouldn't understand what they are actually proving or disproving by doing this.

#264 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I agree. The only person who might think of this is a tech rep that has actual experience with the units. Asking a front line csr to do this would be a waste, because they really wouldn't understand what they are actually proving or disproving by doing this.

I never said front line CSR. :)

#265 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I never said front line CSR. :)

I rarely talk to front line CSRs, usually go right to PP CSRs. Unfortunately, the Case Management Group has taken most of the knowledgeable PP CSRs and made them Case Management Agents (they actually call themselves that and I think it's well deserved). So, even calling the PP these days is an act of futility. I usually get transferred to Retention and then they have the CMG give me a call and I get my answers from them. Usually correct answers. I don't do this often, it takes quite a while on the phone to get what I want answered.

Rich

#266 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

What might be of some interest [to me at least] is how many recording "hours" you have and are these from the SAT feed or do you have the AM-21 for OTA?

This is for VOS
On the off chance that you might be still interested:
Here is what I got for the number of recorded hours of programming held by my HR34 at 50% capacity:

Total hours:101
HD hours: 91
Sports HD hours: 53.5

#267 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

This is for VOS
Here is what I got for the number of recorded hours of programming held by my HR34 at 50% capacity:

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Or are you saying that you have 10 hours of sd recordings, 53.5 hd sports, and 37.5 hd non sports.

#268 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

I wish XTC would come back and try what I suggested and let us know what it shows...

#269 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

10 hours of sd recordings, 53.5 hd sports, and 37.5 hd non sports.

This, I think, with 53.5 hours being "unpadded".
/steve

#270 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

This is for VOS

Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

The idea here was to see how many hours fast action sports programing verses non sports HD.
"Generally" it looks like:

• If you only recorded sports programing, you could record 180+ hours.
  • If you only recorded non sports programing, you could record 240+ hours.
"Up to 200 hrs" of HD programing is what DirecTV claims.

For those that used to be able to record 260 hours, and now can only record 240 hrs, it may not be that significant.

For those [rare cases] that used to be able to record 200 hrs, but now can only record 182 hrs, it may be more significant.
A.K.A VOS

#271 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Or are you saying that you have 10 hours of sd recordings, 53.5 hd sports, and 37.5 hd non sports.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... the latter=
10 hours of sd
53.5 hd sports (all sports programming in hd)
37.5 hd movies and series and news

#272 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

This, I think, with 53.5 hours being "unpadded".

I don't think I know enough to say as I am only a newbie around here: My figures come from combing through the List of recorded shows and summing the length of each recording. I then tallied the figures for each type of programming: SD , HD, Sports.

If D* pads each recording by some amount, my figures are likely skewed.

spam firewall