Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Anyone who is pushing 1 or 2% free on their DVR's hard drive is asking for problems.

I never went below 40% free on my puny HR20-700 and had no such problems, although I finally gave up and switched to FiOS when the DVR reacted so slowly to my remote inputs.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Ok, I understand, but lets say I do that, will it be back to normal afterwards? Once I delete those shows and get it back up to 1%, from then on, will I only need to delete a 1hr HD show in order to make space for a new 1 hour HD recording? cause that certainly isn't happening now.

Look at it this way....

I'm not saying these are the actual numbers, this is just an illustration:

Let's say that before the update you had, out of the 1TB drive, 750GB and DirecTV reserved 250GB. Now, after the update, you have 700GB and DirecTV reserves 300GB. However, you already had 735GB of recordings. So, you'd have to delete 35GB just to get to zero. You wouldn't see 5% free until you delete 42GB.

Again, these numbers are only for illustration purposes. I have no idea what the reserved space actually is on a HR34. But I can tell you from experience that running a DirecTV DVR with less than 20% free space is not a pleasant experience, from an overall performance point of view.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

But how did I lose 6-8% if no shows were deleted from my playlist. Only the % went down.

Your % available went down. You lost free space, not recordings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Time to add a 2TB external.....

Or more. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

In the mean time, see what happens when you go back to 5% free, way too little for me, for my preferences, but do keep track of how much you delete, please. It - your experience and reporting- may help others.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,895 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I had 2% disk space left when I went to bed, woke up, no new shows recorded, yet it's down to 0%. . . . .

You got the Genie upgrade.

Still, 2% is way too low. Try to keep it at 10%.

Oh, the Genie edition allows huge external drives. You should think about it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I guess I just don't get it, especially with DirecTV.

Load up the hard drive to archive programs, as if the DVR or it's drives have never died. I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I had to delete things to have space for future recordings.

I regard a DVR as temporary storage Until I can watch the show. Then Blammo it is gone.

I have had my one hard drive that I capture HD video to fill up in my computer, Then I break out a spindle of BluRay blanks and move titles to them. Free space once again when I'm done. Or I pull out a 2Tb USB3 drive and move videos there. When I'm done it goes back in it's protective box and onto the shelf.

Once they have the start and end trimmed and if any, the commercials cut out They are ready to use. My Media player plays the raw recordings fine.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Not for nothing, but a DVR is not an archive device. Watch the shows!
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Not for nothing, but a DVR is not an archive device.

Why shouldn't a DVR (in the general sense of the term) be usable for archiving?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

This has happened to me as well. Late Tuesday night, Directv sent the software update with the "Genie" and a possible fix to the OnDemand skipping problem to my HR 34. I had about 10% space, now I have zero. I deleted about 30 hours of HD programming and still have zero. I looked at the "To Do" list and it is showing every future show (for ex. next Monday at 10P) as recording now. So, there are approx 30 items in the to do list and all 30 are showing as currently "recording" as far as the system knows, even though it is impossible because they are in the future. My thinking is the DVR thinks all these shows are recording, thus no space is available.

Something is obviously really screwed up with this software update. I contacted Directv and they knew nothing about it. After an hour on the phone with tech support, they have had to open a ticket with the software diagnostic people. Have had three conversations today and there have been no answers. Have been told it could take three hours to five weeks to fix the software update. In the meantime, I'm without a DVR that can record. I'll update when I found out more.

Edited by seabreak, 27 September 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I guess I just don't get it, especially with DirecTV.

Load up the hard drive to archive programs, as if the DVR or it's drives have never died. I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I had to delete things to have space for future recordings.

I regard a DVR as temporary storage Until I can watch the show. Then Blammo it is gone.

I have had my one hard drive that I capture HD video to fill up in my computer, Then I break out a spindle of BluRay blanks and move titles to them. Free space once again when I'm done. Or I pull out a 2Tb USB3 drive and move videos there. When I'm done it goes back in it's protective box and onto the shelf.

Once they have the start and end trimmed and if any, the commercials cut out They are ready to use. My Media player plays the raw recordings fine.

Didn't know you could do this from an HR34? How?

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,864 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Did you try a simple reboot?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Didn't know you could do this from an HR34? How?

You can't, he said "I have had my one hard drive that I capture HD video to fill up in my computer".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#34 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

This has happened to me as well. Late Tuesday night, Directv sent the software update with the "Genie" and a possible fix to the OnDemand skipping problem to my HR 34. I had about 10% space, now I have zero. I deleted about 30 hours of HD programming and still have zero. I looked at the "To Do" list and it is showing every future show (for ex. next Monday at 10P) as recording now. So, there are approx 30 items in the to do list and all 30 are showing as currently "recording" as far as the system knows, even though it is impossible because they are in the future. My thinking is the DVR thinks all these shows are recording, thus no space is available.

Something is obviously really screwed up with this software update. I contacted Directv and they knew nothing about it. After an hour on the phone with tech support, they have had to open a ticket with the software diagnostic people. Have had three conversations today and there have been no answers. Have been told it could take three hours to five weeks to fix the software update. In the meantime, I'm without a DVR that can record. I'll update when I found out more.

EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone knows exactly what I've been going throuhh. This software is Really Really screwed up, its not a simple fix of deleting a few shows as others have been saying. I've been going through the same issues and The DVR thinks it's in the middle of recording shows from the To DO list, even though they broadcast in the near future. I almost collapsed when I read you got rid of 30 hours and it's still at 0% and can't record new shows. I was pissed that I got rid of 8 and still couldnt get past 0%! 30 is mindboggling and inexcusable on DirecTV's part!!!

I wish I never got this stupid software update, it messed up everything for me. I'm gonna call DirecTV as well, and I encourage everyone else that experienced this problem to contact them as well, so they can make this issue more urgent.

#35 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Dont know if it will help, but reboot the dvr from the menu reset option. Then when it comes back to live TV, restart it again. This will delete all the guide data. It will download the next 24 hours of guide data right away, but if it doesnt have guide data for the "near future" it cant record something it doesnt know about. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

After you delete enough shows it will work, as Titan (and others pointed out).

Look at it this way, after the upgrade you were actually at (numbers made up) -10%, but the DVR doesn't display that show it just shows at 0%. You deleted 8 hours of shows and it still shows 0%, but maybe now you're at -7%. Unfortunately, you have to keep deleting until the DVR shows something other than 0%. When I first received Genie, I lost 12% - 18% of my recording space. So, if you were at 2% available, you're now at around -10% to -16%.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Dont know if it will help, but reboot the dvr from the menu reset option. Then when it comes back to live TV, restart it again. This will delete all the guide data. It will download the next 24 hours of guide data right away, but if it doesnt have guide data for the "near future" it cant record something it doesnt know about. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

Won't help as that's not the issue.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#38 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

After you delete enough shows it will work, as Titan (and others pointed out).

Look at it this way, after the upgrade you were actually at (numbers made up) -10%, but the DVR doesn't display that show it just shows at 0%. You deleted 8 hours of shows and it still shows 0%, but maybe now you're at -7%. Unfortunately, you have to keep deleting until the DVR shows something other than 0%. When I first received Genie, I lost 12% - 18% of my recording space. So, if you were at 2% available, you're now at around -10% to -16%.

How can DirecTV just roll out something like this without warning? How can they not realize that they are deleting valuable disk space that subscribers depended on for recordings? That's just irresponsible and totally asinine on their part.

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

I don't know what DIRECTV® officially recommends as to amount of free space one should keep, or if there is such a recommendation at all, but few here recommend less than 15-20% as a good target.

This update doesn't delete shows, but does take HD space, noticeable for those with little room to spare (as well as those who take note of details!)

Can you not get down to it showing 5% or more "free"?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone knows exactly what I've been going throuhh. This software is Really Really screwed up, its not a simple fix of deleting a few shows as others have been saying. I've been going through the same issues and The DVR thinks it's in the middle of recording shows from the To DO list, even though they broadcast in the near future. I almost collapsed when I read you got rid of 30 hours and it's still at 0% and can't record new shows. I was pissed that I got rid of 8 and still couldnt get past 0%! 30 is mindboggling and inexcusable on DirecTV's part!!!

I wish I never got this stupid software update, it messed up everything for me. I'm gonna call DirecTV as well, and I encourage everyone else that experienced this problem to contact them as well, so they can make this issue more urgent.

How can DirecTV just roll out something like this without warning? How can they not realize that they are deleting valuable disk space that subscribers depended on for recordings? That's just irresponsible and totally asinine on their part.

It seems nobody has lost any recordings, and not being able to record more shows is only happening to those with close to 200 hours of recordings.
I won't try to guess as to how many customers this will be affecting, but it just can't be that many.

Watch and delete some of your recordings and you'll be back to "normal" use.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...