Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

It seems nobody has lost any recordings, and not being able to record more shows is only happening to those with close to 200 hours of recordings.
I won't try to guess as to how many customers this will be affecting, but it just can't be that many.

Watch and delete some of your recordings and you'll be back to "normal" use.

Even if you do that, u will never be able to use as much disk space as before. 1 of the main reasons I paid to get the HR34 was for its amount of disk space for recordings, now they slashed it after they got my money. That is NOT ok with me and shouldn't be with anyone. That is false advertising! at the very least they could have warned us about this loss of space so we could prepare for it or let us have the option to opt-out of the software update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Even if you do that, u will never able to use as much disk space as before. 1 of the main reasons I paid to get the HR34 was for its amount of disk space for recordings, now they slashed it after they got my money. That is NOT ok with me and shouldn't be with anyone. That is false advertising! at the very least they could have warned us about this loss of so we could prepare for it or let us have the option to opt-out of the software update

So how many hours of recordings DO YOU HAVE?

They say "up to 200 Hrs".

Put some "real numbers" in here and you may have a valid point.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Having lost three DVRs in the past year, my recording habits have been modified. I now watch and delete and don't rely the DVR to archive shows for an extended period of time.

#44 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

This has happened to me as well. Late Tuesday night, Directv sent the software update with the "Genie" and a possible fix to the OnDemand skipping problem to my HR 34. I had about 10% space, now I have zero. I deleted about 30 hours of HD programming and still have zero. I looked at the "To Do" list and it is showing every future show (for ex. next Monday at 10P) as recording now. So, there are approx 30 items in the to do list and all 30 are showing as currently "recording" as far as the system knows, even though it is impossible because they are in the future. My thinking is the DVR thinks all these shows are recording, thus no space is available.

Something is obviously really screwed up with this software update. I contacted Directv and they knew nothing about it. After an hour on the phone with tech support, they have had to open a ticket with the software diagnostic people. Have had three conversations today and there have been no answers. Have been told it could take three hours to five weeks to fix the software update. In the meantime, I'm without a DVR that can record. I'll update when I found out more.

EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone knows exactly what I've been going throuhh. This software is Really Really screwed up, its not a simple fix of deleting a few shows as others have been saying. I've been going through the same issues and The DVR thinks it's in the middle of recording shows from the To DO list, even though they broadcast in the near future. I almost collapsed when I read you got rid of 30 hours and it's still at 0% and can't record new shows. I was pissed that I got rid of 8 and still couldnt get past 0%! 30 is mindboggling and inexcusable on DirecTV's part!!!

I wish I never got this stupid software update, it messed up everything for me. I'm gonna call DirecTV as well, and I encourage everyone else that experienced this problem to contact them as well, so they can make this issue more urgent.

I agree, this is really sloppy and unacceptable. This may be the worst update I have ever received, and there have been some doozies. Asking me if I want to delete a recording supposedly in progress a week from now is priceless:nono2:
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#45 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

So how many hours of recordings DO YOU HAVE?

They say "up to 200 Hrs".

Put some "real numbers" in here and you may have a valid point.

I have 98 hours on my HR34 currently and I'm showing 43% free.

Quick math would say I can currently hold about 171 hours.

Technically, that's "up to 200 hours", but significantly down from the "close to 200 hours" I was able to record before.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#46 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,603 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

While trying to set some (sports) recordings from my H25 to the '34, I got several "Can't record as it's already set to record" [parphrased]. Yet it doesn't show up in the To Do list....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have 98 hours on my HR34 currently and I'm showing 43% free.

Quick math would say I can currently hold about 171 hours.

Technically, that's "up to 200 hours", but significantly down from the "close to 200 hours" I was able to record before.

Those kind of numbers have meaning.
If I was at 200 hours before and could only get to less than 180 hrs, I'd be upset too.
It's the same with my internet speed, and U-Who doesn't care either.
A.K.A VOS

#48 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

While trying to set some (sports) recordings from my H25 to the '34, I got several "Can't record as it's already set to record" [parphrased]. Yet it doesn't show up in the To Do list....

Sounds like Genie is doing that for you.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Does it stop and revert to normal behavior if you turn Genie off?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

What do you mean by "normal"?
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

What do you mean by "normal"?

Normal, as in things work the same as they did before the download.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#52 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

No it doesnt.

I had the genie feature turned off, yet it did all this damage anyway. DirecTV really screwed us over this time.

#53 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Normal, as in things work the same as they did before the download.

As for the size of free space, I don't think so.
As for setting up recordings, yes.

I've had Genie off for a while and things are "normal".
A.K.A VOS

#54 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

No it doesnt.

I had the genie feature turned off, yet it did all this damage anyway. DirecTV really screwed us over this time.

I do get that you're upset, but "damage"?
Did you lose any recording with the update?

Have you bothered to count how many hours of recordings you have?
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I received a message saying that I needed to turn double play off on my 2nd tuner if I wanted to record a 2nd show. Hmmmmm, 5 tuners shouldn't necessitate that type of message when only 2 shows are recording. I subsequently tested recording 5 shows at once, and it did, but the messages with this release are annoying and confusing.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#56 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

I received a message saying that I needed to turn double play off on my 2nd tuner if I wanted to record a 2nd show. Hmmmmm, 5 tuners shouldn't necessitate that type of message when only 2 shows are recording. I subsequently tested recording 5 shows at once, and it did, but the messages with this release are annoying and confusing.

Yep, it still needs some refinements.
A.K.A VOS

#57 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I do get that you're upset, but "damage"?
Did you lose any recording with the update?

Have you bothered to count how many hours of recordings you have?

Yes damage. I am no longer able to record shows unless I delete shows I haven't even watched yet. So, in essence i will lose plenty of recordings due to this update.

No i havent counted the hours, i am too busy trying to rearrange recordings on other dvrs that i have to try to save at least some of my scheduled recordings, since my hr34 is no longer a dvr thanks to this update.

#58 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Oh please.....understand the frustration, but the drama is a bit much.

#59 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Oh please.....understand the frustration, but the drama is a bit much.

Thanks for the incredibly useful post. Troll along, now.

#60 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Guys let's keep on topic. It's a good one and we should keep it friendly.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...