Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Oh please.....understand the frustration, but the drama is a bit much.

I think most of us understand the frustration, but maybe not that it's been twelve hours since what was needed to be done was posted and nothing has been.

I guess this isn't a "help me" thread but just a complaining thread and I can't fix that.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Veryoldschool, u must be delusionsal. I guess u are one of those guys that thinks it's okay to bend over for DirecTV after they have your money. Sorry, but its not ok what they are doing and i shouldnt have to delete my recordings so they can shove this stupid genie thing down my throat. I paid for the hr34 because of the disk space and now that they have my money, they are taking it away from me. You may think thats ok, but i sure as hell don't!

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Well that certainly clarifies things.

Thank goodness for the Ignore feature at DBSTalk.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Veryoldschool, u must be delusionsal. I guess u are one of those guys that thinks it's okay to bend over for DirecTV after they have your money. Sorry, but its not ok what they are doing and i shouldnt have to delete my recordings so they can shove this stupid genie thing down my throat. I paid for the hr34 because of the disk space and now that they have my money, they are taking it away from me. You may think thats ok, but i sure as hell don't!

xtc - I can understand your frustration and anger. If I had to delete over 30+ hours of programs from the playlist just to get the DVR to start recording again, I think I would feel the same way. Sorry you have to go through this. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other remedy...

#65 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

The way it should work is that with genie disabled (still by default), it doesn't take the space or start recording things just in case you enable it.

If you do enable, then it would take the space and start recording things. Ten it off, you get the space back.

If there was more support for external, I might actually put on a 3TB drive or so.

#66 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks drew2k, maybe there is some hope for humanity afterall.

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Veryoldschool, u must be delusionsal.

I don't feel I am as I don't expect the world to stop turning or to turn back to some earlier time and place that suits me better.

My first reply was I didn't think you'd like the solution.

I guess I nailed that one!
A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

If I had to delete over 30+ hours of programs from the playlist just to get the DVR to start recording again, I think I would feel the same way. Sorry you have to go through this. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other remedy...

Seems a bit more than what would be needed. Sure 10-20 hours is a lot of programing, but to store so much that you couldn't watch it all if you sat down for over a week straight and never slept, might suggest they're too many to ever be watched.
A.K.A VOS

#69 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I don't feel I am as I don't expect the world to stop turning or to turn back to some earlier time and place that suits me better.

My first reply was I didn't think you'd like the solution.

I guess I nailed that one!

Wow. So you're ok with shelling out money for a product that's not delivering as promised? ok. You and I are polar opposites then. I don't let companies walk all over me. Maybe you're ok with that, then good luck to you. You are making it sound as if this is some free service that I'm complaining about? Um, no. If it was, then you would have a point. I paid money for something and I'm not getting what I should. I wasn't told or asked about this big change, it was just forced upon me.

The bottom line is if the only solution is to delete shows that I have saved or haven't watched yet, then it's simply not good enough. I shouldn't have to delete 30+ hours of recordings because of DirecTV's irresponsible actions. All of this could have been avoided if they just told us ahead of time and given us the option to opt-out. If they couldn't figure out a way to implement this stupid genie thing without raping people's hard drive space, then they shouldn't have done it to begin with.

#70 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Seems a bit more than what would be needed. Sure 10-20 hours is a lot of programing, but to store so much that you couldn't watch it all if you sat down for over a week straight and never slept, might suggest they're too many to ever be watched.

That's just your opinion though. Bottom line is we were given a certain amount of hard drive space, and we could do what we want with it, even if its the opposite of what you would do. The issue is not that, the issue is DirecTV taking it away from us without warning, without an opt-out option. And that's just wrong in my opinion. If they were able to give us this feature that I'd never use without affecting my hard drive space, than you wouldn't hear a peep from me, but they didn't. They screwed up.

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wow. So you're ok with shelling out money for a product that's not delivering as promised? ok. You and I are polar opposites then. I don't let companies walk all over me. Maybe you're ok with that, then good luck to you. You are making it sound as if this is some free service that I'm complaining about? Um, no. If it was, then you would have a point. I paid money for something and I'm not getting what I should. I wasn't told or asked about this big change, it was just forced upon me.

The bottom line is if the only solution is to delete shows that I have saved or haven't watched yet, then it's simply not good enough. I shouldn't have to delete 30+ hours of recordings because of DirecTV's irresponsible actions. All of this could have been avoided if they just told us ahead of time and given us the option to opt-out. If they couldn't figure out a way to implement this stupid genie thing without raping people's hard drive space, then they shouldn't have done it to begin with.

We only differ on our use of the DVR.
You should move up to a 2, 3, or 4 TB eSATA for your type of use.

I don't remember DirecTV telling me I could store 8 days of continuous recordings.
"I'd bet" you don't need to delete too many more hours before you get back to your "usual" full drive and can record again.
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

That's just your opinion though. Bottom line is we were given a certain amount of hard drive space, and we could do what we want with it, even if its the opposite of what you would do. The issue is not that, the issue is DirecTV taking it away from us without warning, without an opt-out option. And that's just wrong in my opinion. If they were able to give us this feature that I'd never use without affecting my hard drive space, than you wouldn't hear a peep from me, but they didn't. They screwed up.

You lease "their DVR", sorry they made a change to it you don't like.
I didn't have anything to do with what they did.
I simply tried to help you out with what you first posted.
A.K.A VOS

#73 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

I don't remember DirecTV telling me I could store 8 days of continuous recordings.
"I'd bet" you don't need to delete too many more hours before you get back to your "usual" full drive and can record again.

I shouldn't have to do anything. I was fine the way things were. If I decide to get an external drive, that's just a bonus, I shouldn't however have to do it because DirecTV foreced this crap on me. That's the difference.

you say you bet, but I've already deleted plenty and it's still at zero. And another guy deleted 30 hours and he's still at zero.

#74 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,126 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

The way it should work is that with genie disabled (still by default), it doesn't take the space or start recording things just in case you enable it.

If you do enable, then it would take the space and start recording things. Ten it off, you get the space back.

If there was more support for external, I might actually put on a 3TB drive or so.

For that, Genie would need to be a preset instead of an on-the-fly option.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#75 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

You lease "their DVR", sorry they made a change to it you don't like.
I didn't have anything to do with what they did.
I simply tried to help you out with what you first posted.

i PAY for it, thats what matters. I pay for something I thought I would be getting and I'm now longer getting it, after they already have my money in their pockets. it had EVERYTHING to do with what they did.

If all you tried to do was help me with my post, and left it at that, than I thank you very much. I appreciate it. However, along with your attempted help, you kept throwing out all kinds of statements and opinions about how I should or shouldn't use the DVR or what DirecTV does or does not owe me, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand which is trying to get my HR34 functioning as a DVR again.

#76 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Why shouldn't a DVR (in the general sense of the term) be usable for archiving?

Because HDD's fail, and without special effort, backing it up really isnt what many people do mostly because of the difficulty in doing so. Its not as easy as a pc or other device with potentially large and valued storage. Anyone using a production HDD without redundancy to archive anything important is just fooling themselves that their material is safe.

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

If all you tried to do was help me with my post, and left it at that, than I thank you very much. I appreciate it.

I'll leave it at this, and ignore some of your other replies directed at me.

Checking with someone else who did a before and after, their 11% changed to 1%, so the change looks to be 20 hours of recordings.

Edited by veryoldschool, 27 September 2012 - 10:11 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,971 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Many would agree that this implementation hurt some people, and was clumsy for those whose HDs were already bumping capacity. But to raise such stürm und drang over this isn't productive unless venting actually does the venter some good.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#79 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

After you delete enough shows it will work, as Titan (and others pointed out).

Look at it this way, after the upgrade you were actually at (numbers made up) -10%, but the DVR doesn't display that show it just shows at 0%. You deleted 8 hours of shows and it still shows 0%, but maybe now you're at -7%. Unfortunately, you have to keep deleting until the DVR shows something other than 0%. When I first received Genie, I lost 12% - 18% of my recording space. So, if you were at 2% available, you're now at around -10% to -16%.

Hi. See my earlier post. I was the second one on here with the problem. I've deleted approx 40% of the space and I'm still at 0% available. No reboot, reset, or any amount of deleting is changing anything. If you delete all of the future programs, the moment you add another one, it thinks it is recording it and the space is still at 0%. There is an obvious software problem that is affecting some of the HR 34 DVRs. I spoke with Directv tonight and they said their diagnostic team is still working on it. I'll give them until tomorrow, then I want a new receiver. There has been nothing but problems with my HR 34 since I bought it. The OnDemand hasn't worked and this software update was suppossed to have fixed that problem. Unfortunately, I don't know if it did because I have no space. Glad yours is ok , but there is no excuse for Directv to take this much space, if that is indeed the case. This is not what was advertised in the beginning and not what I bought.

Edited by seabreak, 28 September 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#80 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

The problem is not solved by deleting because the DVR thinks it is recording every program that is in the "to do" list for the next two weeks. The orange R is next to every show. Of course, it is not recording anything, but it thinks it is, so the software is not working. If you delete the to do list, them add something new, say for next week, it thinks it is recording it. Doesn't make any sense.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...