Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone knows exactly what I've been going throuhh. This software is Really Really screwed up, its not a simple fix of deleting a few shows as others have been saying. I've been going through the same issues and The DVR thinks it's in the middle of recording shows from the To DO list, even though they broadcast in the near future. I almost collapsed when I read you got rid of 30 hours and it's still at 0% and can't record new shows. I was pissed that I got rid of 8 and still couldnt get past 0%! 30 is mindboggling and inexcusable on DirecTV's part!!!

I wish I never got this stupid software update, it messed up everything for me. I'm gonna call DirecTV as well, and I encourage everyone else that experienced this problem to contact them as well, so they can make this issue more urgent.

Any luck contacting them? I've had five calls with no resolution. They, as a last resort, want to reformat it, which will wipe out everything. That is not an option and I will demand a new receiver, while keeping the existing one, so I can watch everything I have recorded. Totally agree with you on everything. Seems as if everyone else on this thread is not having the issues that we are having. Keep me updated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

Many would agree that this implementation hurt some people, and was clumsy for those whose HDs were already bumping capacity. But to raise such stürm und drang over this isn't productive unless venting actually does the venter some good.....

I'm venting, but also looking for solutions. It seems this is only a problem for a few of us, but my guess is it will be more widespread and DT will realize they have a problem with the software. Hopefully, for them and me, they get it solved and soon.

#83 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'm venting, but also looking for solutions. It seems this is only a problem for a few of us, but my guess is it will be more widespread and DT will realize they have a problem with the software. Hopefully, for them and me, they get it solved and soon.

It's not broken this was done by design. If you're a person who uses the DVR to archive shows forever and do an extreme situation where you have to delete something to record something it's just not going to be a pleasant change for you. The majority of customers are not like this and this change will benefit them.

The solution is to either get a larger external HD or start watching and deleting programs.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#84 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Oh please.....understand the frustration, but the drama is a bit much.

Thanks for the incredibly useful post. Troll along, now.

No, we all feel your frustration. But we are irritated with your personal attacks on those who wish to explain.

#85 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Any luck contacting them? I've had five calls with no resolution. They, as a last resort, want to reformat it, which will wipe out everything. That is not an option and I will demand a new receiver, while keeping the existing one, so I can watch everything I have recorded. Totally agree with you on everything. Seems as if everyone else on this thread is not having the issues that we are having. Keep me updated.

Absolutely, some of the others here just don't get it. I called DirecTV and they said the same as with you, they forwarded my info/notes to their Software engineer team and to some dept that deals specifically with HR34s. They suggested I follow up soon, and of course I will.

As much as I think you're 100% right that they should give you a new one, while you should be able to keep the old one and keep it deactivated so that there is no charge (and still be able to view shows), knowing DirecTV, there's not a chance in hell they'll go for it.

I still cannot believe how much you've gotten rid of on your playlist and it is still at 0%. Insanity. At this point, I'm just trying to set recordings only to my other DVRs in the home, but they don't have much space left either, so it sucks! They better fix this soon, or they owe us big time credits.

#86 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

No, we all feel your frustration. But we are irritated with your personal attacks on those who wish to explain.

Pesonal attacks? :hurah: that's a good one. In what world do you live in where this is a personal attack. wow, i feel sorry for you. :nono2:

#87 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,076 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

...i am too busy trying to rearrange recordings on other dvrs that i have to try to save at least some of my scheduled recordings, since my hr34 is no longer a dvr thanks to this update.

You should've been busy watching what's recorded.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#88 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,992 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Reading through this entire thread...it's an amazing read.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#89 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

You should've been busy watching what's recorded.

I don't know what we would do without your expert advice. :rolleyes:

#90 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,076 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

I don't know what we would do without your expert advice. :rolleyes:

We'd all have 200 hours of stuff on our DVRs and complaining about this issue. You're welcome. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#91 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Sorry the HR34 isn't working for you the way you want. Good luck moving forward, however you best see fit.

After reading threads like this, makes me glad i am not a customer service rep having to deal with phone calls like this.
(I love my HR34!)

#92 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,920 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

The problem is not solved by deleting because the DVR thinks it is recording every program that is in the "to do" list for the next two weeks. The orange R is next to every show. Of course, it is not recording anything, but it thinks it is, so the software is not working. If you delete the to do list, them add something new, say for next week, it thinks it is recording it. Doesn't make any sense.

Yes, there is a bug with deleting future programs, where it thinks it is a current recording, and even asks you if you want to keep it.
I don't see any signs that this is taking up any space [these future recordings].

I've deleted approx 40% of the space and I'm still at 0% available.

This is very strange. If you still have 0%, how do you know you've deleted 40%?
The 20 hours I posted earlier were HD hours, so deleting SD recordings would require a lot more to equal the same space.
A.K.A VOS

#93 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

...As much as I think you're 100% right that they should give you a new one, while you should be able to keep the old one and keep it deactivated so that there is no charge (and still be able to view shows), knowing DirecTV, there's not a chance in hell they'll go for it...

A simpler solution would be for DirecTV to give you a credit for, or provide you with, an external drive on which you can start fresh, recording your programs. Meanwhile, your old recordings will be there on the internal drive, and available for viewing with a system reboot.

They could, theoretically, renumber the old software to a higher number and send a directed update to those customers that have the problem, but I'm not confident that will solve your problem. It is possible that since you had so little disk space, something went wrong during the upgrade and the scheduler database is corrupted in some way.

My advice is to work with DirecTV and post the content of those conversations. We all understand that you are frustrated and upset, but venting here will accomplish little other than generating more frustration. DirecTV is generally pretty good about doing the right thing for customers. I'd bet that they are trying to reproduce your problem right now...let's see what they can do.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#94 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

We'd all have 200 hours of stuff on our DVRs and complaining about this issue. You're welcome. ;)

Yeah, lets all buy a DVR and not have anything on our playlist. You're a genius! :nono2:

#95 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

Sorry the HR34 isn't working for you the way you want. Good luck moving forward, however you best see fit.

After reading threads like this, makes me glad i am not a customer service rep having to deal with phone calls like this.
(I love my HR34!)

Maybe if DirecTV didn't do incredibly asinine and irresponsible things like this and properly tested their software before releasing it, you would be glad to be a rep.

#96 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

It's clear that the NR HR34 firmware, which adds Genie Recommends, appears to reduce the storage available for user recordings. It's not clear if that is intentional or not, or whether it will remain that way or not.

It certainly doesn't seem productive to debate whether the change is important or not. If a user is concerned about storage, and typically bumps up against the 1TB limit (minus DirecTV reserved space), clearly they might be concerned.

It comes down to whether the benefits of Genie Recommends out-weigh the needs for storage, and that would be on a home-by-home basis.

Some may decide to go the eSATA route, some may not be affected at all, and some may get upset and express their frustration to DirecTV.

All fair responses, and we move on ... it is what it is.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#97 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Look at it this way....

I'm not saying these are the actual numbers, this is just an illustration:

Let's say that before the update you had, out of the 1TB drive, 750GB and DirecTV reserved 250GB. Now, after the update, you have 700GB and DirecTV reserves 300GB. However, you already had 735GB of recordings. So, you'd have to delete 35GB just to get to zero. You wouldn't see 5% free until you delete 42GB.

Again, these numbers are only for illustration purposes. I have no idea what the reserved space actually is on a HR34. But I can tell you from experience that running a DirecTV DVR with less than 20% free space is not a pleasant experience, from an overall performance point of view.

True, so true.

Rich

#98 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Why shouldn't a DVR (in the general sense of the term) be usable for archiving?

If D* would just let us use any HDD recorded on any HR within an account, archiving would be feasible. Without that, it's not.

Rich

#99 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

How can DirecTV just roll out something like this without warning? How can they not realize that they are deleting valuable disk space that subscribers depended on for recordings? That's just irresponsible and totally asinine on their part.

Weren't you around for the 2006-early 2007 HR20-700 fiasco? They'll get it fixed.

Rich

#100 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Weren't you around for the 2006-early 2007 HR20-700 fiasco? They'll get it fixed.

Rich

I got an HR20 later, so I'm not sure I know the issue you're talking about. Was it about disk space being taken away from customers and recordings were not possible? How long did it take them to fix it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...