Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Even if you do that, u will never be able to use as much disk space as before. 1 of the main reasons I paid to get the HR34 was for its amount of disk space for recordings, now they slashed it after they got my money. That is NOT ok with me and shouldn't be with anyone. That is false advertising! at the very least they could have warned us about this loss of space so we could prepare for it or let us have the option to opt-out of the software update

For the life of me, I can't see why a person who does a lot of recording on a 34 doesn't use an external HDD. My first thought when the 34 was released was the stock internal HDD was too small for five tuners. I'd have at least a 2TB on that, if I were you. Had you done that when you got the 34, you wouldn't be having the problems you're having now.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Maybe if DirecTV didn't do incredibly asinine and irresponsible things like this and properly tested their software before releasing it, you would be glad to be a rep.

Yeah, lets all buy a DVR and not have anything on our playlist. You're a genius! :nono2:

Directv actually does more field testing than most organizations. In addition to alpha and beta testing, they participate in the Cutting Edge program that puts new releases out in the wild on hundreds of users' receivers prior to release.

I don't know for sure what is the root cause of your issues. It may simply be a disk space issue. If so, there is not much that can be done other than watch and delete some recordings. DirecTV does not guarantee that the total available recording space on your DVR will not change (in fact, they do the opposite, they advise that any "hours" statistic is an estimate and that your results may be different). Maybe it is a bug that only shows up with very full drives. We just don't know yet.

Ad hominem attacks on other users do very little to advance your cause. We all appreciate your frustration, but you really need to take a deep breath and realize that no one here can fix your problem.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#103 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

What do you mean by "normal"?

Cracked me up!.... :lol:

Rich

#104 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yep, it still needs some refinements.

Lovin' this... :lol:

Rich

#105 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Oh please.....understand the frustration, but the drama is a bit much.

Can't stop laughing... :lol:

Rich

#106 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Guys let's keep on topic. It's a good one and we should keep it friendly.

I haven't laughed this much at a thread in years... :lol:

It's a "good one" is an understatement.

Rich

#107 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Maybe if DirecTV didn't do incredibly asinine and irresponsible things like this and properly tested their software before releasing it, you would be glad to be a rep.

Again, sorry it isn't working the way it was before the update. Mine continues to record shows and allow me to watch after the update so I wouldn't say it was not properly tested.

You have options, none are what you want, but maybe if you move forward on one, you can put this "asinine release" behind you and enjoy your programming.

I can honestly say, DirecTv has always been fair to me and i reward them with my money. If you don't feel they are being fair, perhaps another provider can satisfy you.
Good luck!

#108 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

For the life of me, I can't see why a person who does a lot of recording on a 34 doesn't use an external HDD. My first thought when the 34 was released was the stock internal HDD was too small for five tuners. I'd have at least a 2TB on that, if I were you. Had you done that when you got the 34, you wouldn't be having the problems you're having now.

Rich

I understand what you are saying. I have external hard drives on other DVRs, but regardless, that is irrelevant here. Whether I have or do not have an external hard drive, DirecTV taking away a big chunk of hard drive space and therefore making it not nearly as attractive of a device is unethical especially when one of the main reasons someone paid money for the thing in the first place was the amount of hard drive space it came with. Imagine buying a hard drive and then all the sudden the company you bought it from has the power to take away a chunk of it randomly without warning. How would you like it if someone told you you should have gotten an additional hard drive?

#109 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Well that certainly clarifies things.

Thank goodness for the Ignore feature at DBSTalk.

This is almost too good to be true...you can't possibly be missing the humorous aspects. I've been sitting here laughing thru the whole thing. And I still can't stop.... :lol:

Rich

#110 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

I understand what you are saying. I have external hard drives on other DVRs, but regardless, that is irrelevant here. Whether I have or do not have an external hard drive, DirecTV taking away a big chunk of hard drive space and therefore making it not nearly as attractive of a device is unethical especially when one of the main reasons someone paid money for the thing in the first place was the amount of hard drive space it came with...

Perhaps disk space is why YOU chose the HR34, but I'd be amazed if most people didn't choose it because it had 5 tuners. I know that is what I find attractive.

...Imagine buying a hard drive and then all the sudden the company you bought it from has the power to take away a chunk of it randomly without warning. How would you like it if someone told you you should have gotten an additional hard drive?

The "system space" on computing devices only goes one way...up. Have you ever upgraded a version Windows and found that the new version took less disk space? There is no warranty, express or implied, that the available disk space on a DVR will remain constant over time.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#111 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Directv actually does more field testing than most organizations. In addition to alpha and beta testing, they participate in the Cutting Edge program that puts new releases out in the wild on hundreds of users' receivers prior to release.

I don't know for sure what is the root cause of your issues. It may simply be a disk space issue. If so, there is not much that can be done other than watch and delete some recordings.

I don't care that they do more field research than their competition. Their competition is cable companies which are a joke. Who cares if they do more research if the released product still malfunctions? Bottom line is they should not have released this until it was bug free. They also should not have released this without warning us that we would lose hard drive space and turn our HR34s into a non-functioning DVR. And finally, none of it should be forced on us. It says in the genie itself that it won't effect our hard drive space, but obviously it does big time.

Do you not realize that even if I do watch and delete the recordings, my HR34 will never have the amount of space it was advertised as having and is what we thought we were getting when we paid for it? How is that ok?

#112 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

:beatdeadhorse:
A.K.A VOS

#113 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sorry, had to cut down your run on sentence to quote parts...

DirecTV taking away a big chunk of hard drive space

That "big chunk" is a whole 10%. No matter what size drive you use DirecTV is now taking 10% for their use. They've always taken a percentage. They've now had to increase their percentage to accomodate Genie Recommends.

when one of the main reasons someone paid money for the thing in the first place was the amount of hard drive space it came with.

The hard drive in your HR34 still has exactly the same space it came with. It has however now been allocated differently. Also, I didn't get an HR34 for the drive space. In fact I've never even used the internal drive on mine. I got mine for the 5 tuners and PIP.

How would you like it if someone told you you should have gotten an additional hard drive?

I would realize they had a valid point, thanked them for it and moved on. I wouldn't attack them, that's for sure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#114 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

:beatdeadhorse:

+1

#115 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

A simpler solution would be for DirecTV to give you a credit for, or provide you with, an external drive on which you can start fresh, recording your programs. Meanwhile, your old recordings will be there on the internal drive, and available for viewing with a system reboot.

They could, theoretically, renumber the old software to a higher number and send a directed update to those customers that have the problem, but I'm not confident that will solve your problem. It is possible that since you had so little disk space, something went wrong during the upgrade and the scheduler database is corrupted in some way.

My advice is to work with DirecTV and post the content of those conversations. We all understand that you are frustrated and upset, but venting here will accomplish little other than generating more frustration. DirecTV is generally pretty good about doing the right thing for customers. I'd bet that they are trying to reproduce your problem right now...let's see what they can do.

Yup, that's my thought too. Who runs anything with a full HDD? I've done it for testing purposes and it's really difficult to deal with an HR with a full HDD.

Rich

#116 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

I got an HR20 later, so I'm not sure I know the issue you're talking about. Was it about disk space being taken away from customers and recordings were not possible? How long did it take them to fix it?

It was a multitude of problems. They released the 20-700s on us without fully testing them and there was...chaos. Then stabilization. They'll get this fixed, not in the time frame you're hoping for, but it will be fixed.

Rich

#117 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I don't know for sure what is the root cause of your issues. It may simply be a disk space issue. If so, there is not much that can be done other than watch and delete some recordings. DirecTV does not guarantee that the total available recording space on your DVR will not change (in fact, they do the opposite, they advise that any "hours" statistic is an estimate and that your results may be different). Maybe it is a bug that only shows up with very full drives. We just don't know yet.

Ad hominem attacks on other users do very little to advance your cause. We all appreciate your frustration, but you really need to take a deep breath and realize that no one here can fix your problem.

Especially when the attacks are directed at folks who are the most helpful members of the forum.

Rich

#118 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I don't care that they do more field research than their competition. Their competition is cable companies which are a joke. Who cares if they do more research if the released product still malfunctions? Bottom line is they should not have released this until it was bug free. They also should not have released this without warning us that we would lose hard drive space and turn our HR34s into a non-functioning DVR. And finally, none of it should be forced on us. It says in the genie itself that it won't effect our hard drive space, but obviously it does big time.

Do you not realize that even if I do watch and delete the recordings, my HR34 will never have the amount of space it was advertised as having and is what we thought we were getting when we paid for it? How is that ok?

Here is what it says about the HR34 on DirecTV's website:

Introducing the revolutionary Home Media Center HD DVR. If you've ever wanted to put an end to recording conflicts and deleting your favorite shows to make room for new ones, here's the receiver you've been waiting for. The Home Media Center HD DVR lets you record five shows at once, store up to 1600 shows* in SD — and watch them in any room of your house. You won't find anything like it with cable or DISH Network. It's available only with DIRECTV.

and....

The Home Media Center HD DVR gives you up to 800 hours of storage space in SD, 200 hours in HD, so you don't have to delete shows you want to keep to make room for new ones.

and finally...

*Storage space refers to 30 minute programs recorded in SD. Actual recording capacity varies based on type of programming being recorded.

Where do they advertise a specific amount of space? It is always stated as "up to" or "varies".

Current setup:

#119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

I understand what you are saying. I have external hard drives on other DVRs, but regardless, that is irrelevant here. Whether I have or do not have an external hard drive, DirecTV taking away a big chunk of hard drive space and therefore making it not nearly as attractive of a device is unethical especially when one of the main reasons someone paid money for the thing in the first place was the amount of hard drive space it came with. Imagine buying a hard drive and then all the sudden the company you bought it from has the power to take away a chunk of it randomly without warning. How would you like it if someone told you you should have gotten an additional hard drive?

What I meant in that post was you (and others) should have been immediately aware of how quickly a 1TB drive would get filled when it is deluged with recordings from five tuners.

As for them taking away a portion of the HDD, they've always done that. If you stick a 2TB drive on or in any HR, you won't get a full 2TBs out of it.

Nobody had to tell me I needed to buy additional HDDs, I saw that I would need them from the get-go. All but one of my 12 HRs has a 2TB drive on or in it.

Rich

#120 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

I don't care that they do more field research than their competition. Their competition is cable companies which are a joke...

I didn't say their competition...I said most organizations - of any type. Software has bugs. If a prgram contains more than one line of code, there is a potential for errors to escape detection. I've been in the software business for almost 30 years and I've yet to encounter a product that didn't have bugs. It is your misfortune to get caught by this particular one. I'm sorry that it happened to you, and I'd be perturbed if it happened to me. I lost about 100 hours of recordings recently when a drive failed. That's life.

In the end, it is just TV.

Current setup:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...