Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Here is what it says about the HR34 on DirecTV's website:

Introducing the revolutionary Home Media Center HD DVR. If you've ever wanted to put an end to recording conflicts and deleting your favorite shows to make room for new ones, here's the receiver you've been waiting for. The Home Media Center HD DVR lets you record five shows at once, store up to 1600 shows* in SD — and watch them in any room of your house. You won't find anything like it with cable or DISH Network. It's available only with DIRECTV.

and....

The Home Media Center HD DVR gives you up to 800 hours of storage space in SD, 200 hours in HD, so you don't have to delete shows you want to keep to make room for new ones.

and finally...

*Storage space refers to 30 minute programs recorded in SD. Actual recording capacity varies based on type of programming being recorded.

Where do they advertise a specific amount of space? It is always stated as "up to" or "varies".

Add to all that, we've never been able to determine a rock solid answer to the question of how many hours of recordings any HDD will take. It seems to depend on the content more than the time it takes to record it.

When I first got my 20-700s working, I filled up a stock 300GB internal drive with almost 50 hours of HD MPEG-2 recordings. I think they were advertising 20 hours of HD recordings at the time. It's all about the content.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Add to all that, we've never been able to determine a rock solid answer to the question of how many hours of recordings any HDD will take. It seems to depend on the content more than the time it takes to record it.

When I first got my 20-700s working, I filled up a stock 300GB internal drive with almost 50 hours of HD MPEG-2 recordings. I think they were advertising 20 hours of HD recordings at the time. It's all about the content.

Rich

MPEG-2 was 30 hours, and MPEG-4 50 hours.
The amount a file takes has everything to do with the bit-rates.
9 Mb/s is fairly common for MPEG-4 HD, but I've also seem it be 6 Mb/s.
A.K.A VOS

#123 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Has anybody received version 0x05C2 of the firmware that gives us Genie Recommends in the last couple of days since this imbroglio started? I'm still running 0x0583 and I check every morning now.

I got my HR34 a week ago and attached an external 2TB drive and have been watching my available space drop down slightly as I record - it's now about 95%. If DirecTV IS taking a bigger portion of the hard drive can't they just reset the available space meter to show us the percentage of space for the user only? That way the number wouldn't go down even if the space really is less?

#124 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

If DirecTV IS taking a bigger portion of the hard drive can't they just reset the available space meter to show us the percentage of space for the user only? That way the number wouldn't go down even if the space really is less?

If you think about this for a min, you'll see this doesn't make sense.
The free space was adjusted, which is where the problem comes from.

With only 10% being used, you don't see it.
With 90% being used, you do see it.
A.K.A VOS

#125 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

MPEG-2 was 30 hours, and MPEG-4 50 hours.
The amount a file takes has everything to do with the bit-rates.
9 Mb/s is fairly common for MPEG-4 HD, but I've also seem it be 6 Mb/s.

Those are still approximations, I think. I really did have almost 50 hours of HD MPEG-2 on that one 20-700.

Rich

#126 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Those are still approximations, I think. I really did have almost 50 hours of HD MPEG-2 on that one 20-700.

Rich

"well yeah"
Not all programing is equal, and I simply posted what the hours were listed as "back then".
A.K.A VOS

#127 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Has anybody received version 0x05C2 of the firmware that gives us Genie Recommends in the last couple of days since this imbroglio started? I'm still running 0x0583 and I check every morning now.

0x05C2 hasn't been in the stream since the 24th.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#128 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I didn't say their competition...I said most organizations - of any type. Software has bugs. If a prgram contains more than one line of code, there is a potential for errors to escape detection. I've been in the software business for almost 30 years and I've yet to encounter a product that didn't have bugs. It is your misfortune to get caught by this particular one. I'm sorry that it happened to you, and I'd be perturbed if it happened to me. I lost about 100 hours of recordings recently when a drive failed. That's life.

In the end, it is just TV.

Very true. Even in examples of what is generally as perfect as possible, there have been bugs, including several found due to the rescheduling of the first shuttle flight. And with that system, lives were at stake.

#129 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

0x05C2 hasn't been in the stream since the 24th.

Do we really know what is in the stream with the monitoring site being down?
A.K.A VOS

#130 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Do we really know what is in the stream with the monitoring site being down?

The monitoring site is current.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#131 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

The monitoring site is current.

It's grayed out for me.
A.K.A VOS

#132 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's grayed out for me.

I'm showing checks from less than 20 mins ago on http://redh.com/dtv/index.php?r=HR.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#133 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm showing checks from less than 20 mins ago on http://redh.com/dtv/index.php?r=HR.

Look here and at the bottom you'll see it's inactive:

http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php
A.K.A VOS

#134 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Look here and at the bottom you'll see it's inactive:

http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php

Ahh, I don't use that screen. Just the HR34 is "inactive" though, not the whole site.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#135 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Ahh, I don't use that screen. Just the HR34 is "inactive" though, not the whole site.

You're right. When they're gray, the monitoring is off line for that model, so we never know what is in the stream.
A.K.A VOS

#136 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

You're right. When they're gray, the monitoring is off line for that model, so we never know what is in the stream.

Gotcha. I just always go straight to the page I posted the URL for because it gives more details. Gray on that screen just means there's been nothing for a while. I'll have to remember to check the other screen to see if a unit is active or not in the future.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#137 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

And thats why Runner I disagree with everything that comes out of your posts.

#138 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Especially when the attacks are directed at folks who are the most helpful members of the forum.

Rich

Do they only help after being jackasses to you? is that how it works. They should be proud then.

#139 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

And thats why Runner I disagree with everything that comes out of your posts.

Yay!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#140 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

:nono:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...