Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Good Move DirecTV, Use too small a hard drive for 5 tuners and then take user space and not DirecTV Reserved space for a new feature. Way to treat customers.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Folks, let's focus on the topic at hand and not on each other. There has already been one warning posted in this thread... the next time I will have no choice but to close it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#143 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Have you checked your Series Manager? (I recall reading you've deleted stuff from the To Do list.)

You have turned off Genie, yes?

Have you double re-booted within 30 minutes to flush out the Guide?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#144 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

You should've been busy watching what's recorded.

That's not really the point is it. The amount of storage space available to the customer has changed without notice. The OP was within the limits that have worked since he got the DVR and now the limits have moved.

If the customer had been given notice that'd be one thing, but even in that scenario saying he should just watch his recordings isn’t really very constructive.

I’m not exactly sure how Genie is configured to use disk space but it certainly has the unintended consequence of interfering with the normal use of those that have mostly full hard drives.

I have no idea how Genie works but it seems to want a certain amount of space and will take it as it frees up. The number of subs affected has to be pretty small but it’s got to be frustrating when you don’t know it’s coming and didn’t have a chance to prepare for it.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#145 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,128 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

If the customer had been given notice that'd be one thing, but even in that scenario saying he should just watch his recordings isn’t really very constructive.

It's very constructive. When your HDD is full now with this update, you only have a few choices - Start watching recordings you're hoarding, delete them, or suffer with no new recordings.

When you keep a full HDD, there's risks you take.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#146 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Look here and at the bottom you'll see it's inactive:

http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php

What happens if someone is getting a new install of an HR34 today(or whenever) and the software stream is inactive? Is there a way to get the 34 up and running?

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#147 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

I've seen all these references to not being able to record anything new ... what exactly are you guys referring to?

Do you have every recording set as "keep until I delete"?

I've used that option for a few recordings over the years, but typically the DVR just deletes the oldest to record new stuff.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#148 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

What happens if someone is getting a new install of an HR34 today(or whenever) and the software stream is inactive? Is there a way to get the 34 up and running?

When the monitoring site is off line, it only means we can't tell what is in the stream. It doesn't mean there is nothing in the stream.
You'd only know by trying to force a download.
With new installs ongoing, I'd be somewhat surprised if there was nothing in the stream.
A.K.A VOS

#149 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

That's not really the point is it. The amount of storage space available to the customer has changed without notice. The OP was within the limits that have worked since he got the DVR and now the limits have moved.

I’m not exactly sure how Genie is configured to use disk space but it certainly has the unintended consequence of interfering with the normal use of those that have mostly full hard drives.

I have no idea how Genie works but it seems to want a certain amount of space and will take it as it frees up. The number of subs affected has to be pretty small but it’s got to be frustrating when you don’t know it’s coming and didn’t have a chance to prepare for it.

Mike

THANK YOU!!! interesting how this thread is divided into people who totally get it and others who don't. They just say watch it or delete it or buy a new hard drive or let DirecTV do anything they want to you now that they have your money. Unbelievable. At least a few get what's going on here.

#150 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Do you have every recording set as "keep until I delete"?

I watch a lot of primetime series on the broadcast networks and I don't like to miss an episode. I always use "keep until I delete" so that I don't discover that I am missing recordings.

When I noticed after this update that my free space was at 0%, I was able to delete a lot of episodes that were also on another DVR. If that were not the case, I would have had to watch those recordings to gain back free space for new episodes.

#151 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

THANK YOU!!! interesting how this thread is divided into people who totally get it and others who don't. They just say watch it or delete it or buy a new hard drive or let DirecTV do anything they want to you now that they have your money. Unbelievable. At least a few get what's going on here.

I think most "got it".
What has been the ongoing problem is "what to do about it".
You asked for help, and got some, but don't/haven't wanted to do anything.
DirecTV most likely won't change their software, so it's either adapt to it or not.
A.K.A VOS

#152 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think most "got it".
What has been the ongoing problem is "what to do about it".
You asked for help, and got some, but don't/haven't wanted to do anything.
DirecTV most likely won't change their software, so it's either adapt to it or not.

+100@VOS

Direct DVR's have always exhibited interesting behavior to say the least when HDD's were run at or near capacity. You have a few choices about what you can do, choose one and move on.....ranting and raving is not going to fix anything, and guaranteed it will just further alienate you on this forum.

#153 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

It seems like having a full hard drive is one thing but is that connected to showing all the To-Do programs as currently recording? BTW, I'm not having this problem.

#154 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

It seems like having a full hard drive is one thing but is that connected to showing all the To-Do programs as currently recording? BTW, I'm not having this problem.

It's only "connected" by being in the software. The To-Do programs still work the same as before, but now have the "nag" messages, which have nothing to do with the space issue.
A.K.A VOS

#155 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Do they only help after being jackasses to you? is that how it works. They should be proud then.

OK, that's enough. Most of us are here to help, not hinder. Nobody has done anything but try to explain what's going on, just because you're frustrated doesn't give you the right to demean anyone.

Rich

#156 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

OK, that's enough. Most of us are here to help, not hinder. Nobody has done anything but try to explain what's going on, just because you're frustrated doesn't give you the right to demean anyone.

Rich

You obviously haven't been paying attention in this thread then. A few helped and I thanked them, others were exactly as I described.

#157 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Clearly there were some pre-conceived notions on who's posts to even bother with and that's too bad. He was given some great advice but chose to ignore it, or even slam it, based on who posted it.

Did they take space from us? yes
Will we get it back? VERY doubtful
Does it suck? Sure
Were viable alternatives given to the OP? Yes
Should we move on? Absolutely
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#158 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Clearly there were some pre-conceived notions on who's posts to even bother with and that's too bad. He was given some great advice but chose to ignore it, or even slam it, based on who posted it.

Did they take space from us? yes
Will we get it back? VERY doubtful
Does it suck? Sure
Were viable alternatives given to the OP? Yes
Should we move on? Absolutely

I'm done.

Rich

#159 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Do they only help after being jackasses to you? is that how it works. They should be proud then.

You obviously haven't been paying attention in this thread then. A few helped and I thanked them, others were exactly as I described.

I assume that since I didn't join the urination contest I fall into the latter group.

Folks, let's focus on the topic at hand and not on each other. There has already been one warning posted in this thread... the next time I will have no choice but to close it.

Stuart, I think the time has come.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#160 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm saddened it's come to this.

People need to respect each other more.

:nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...