Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 disk space issue. Unable to record anything! Help!

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'm saddened it's come to this.

People need to respect each other more.

:nono2:

Brother, This should be the subject of an entire thread....Not only on these forums, but on the highway, in stores, and in general....

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yes, there is a bug with deleting future programs, where it thinks it is a current recording, and even asks you if you want to keep it.
I don't see any signs that this is taking up any space [these future recordings].
This is very strange. If you still have 0%, how do you know you've deleted 40%?
The 20 hours I posted earlier were HD hours, so deleting SD recordings would require a lot more to equal the same space.

Simple. I counted. I deleted approx. 40 hours of HD programming. If DT is now using 60% for their new software, it is a problem.

#163 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

One thing is for sure, that update had no business going out the door when it did.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#164 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

THANK YOU!!! interesting how this thread is divided into people who totally get it and others who don't. They just say watch it or delete it or buy a new hard drive or let DirecTV do anything they want to you now that they have your money. Unbelievable. At least a few get what's going on here.

You are correct. Many are not getting it. I'll repeat. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU DELETE, THERE IS NO AVAILABLE SPACE!!! HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DELETING OR USING ALL 200 HOURS, ETC. I should have 60% available. I highly doubt DT is using 60% of space for the "Genie". There is a problem with the software that is causing the DVR to think there is no space available. Why, I don't think anyone knows at this point. If someone knows how to fix it, I'd love the answer, as that is why I posted in the first place.

I don't get the controversy about deleting programs. If I was out of town a lot in the past few months and recording a lot, so what? This receiver is advertised as 200 hours of HD, minus a few percent for DT's use. So, if I filled it to 95%, it should work as if I filled it to 60%. I agree these receivers are not for archiving as this is the 2nd time in a year I've had a problem. I purchased the HR 34 in Feb due to another year and a half old DVR's hard drive failing. So, I certainly don't trust it to keep something that I really want to save. I'm still waiting (3 days now) for a result from DT, with no answers. When I get one, I'll post it.

#165 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Simple. I counted. I deleted approx. 40 hours of HD programming. If DT is now using 60% for their new software, it is a problem.

If you've deleted 40 hours of HD programing, you've got other problems going on.
This may be unique your your DVR, as it hasn't been seen on others.
The 10% loss/change of free space doesn't account for what you're seeing.

BTW your math seems a bit off too. 40 hrs would only equal 20%.
A.K.A VOS

#166 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

You are correct. Many are not getting it. I'll repeat. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU DELETE, THERE IS NO AVAILABLE SPACE!!! HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DELETING OR USING ALL 200 HOURS, ETC. I should have 60% available. << Snipped bits out >>

I'm still waiting (3 days now) for a result from DT, with no answers. When I get one, I'll post it.

You have a ping earlier in the thread.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#167 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

If you've deleted 40 hours of HD programing, you've got other problems going on.

It could be a lot less, too, as there's large variation in MB's required for an hour long program.

I do wish he'd answer my questions. I see a number of folks are trying to help, too.

#168 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

So if I delete all my recordings I wouldn't be at 100%?

JACK,

#169 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

JACKIEGAGA, you are always at 100% :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#170 OFFLINE   seabreak

seabreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sorry, meant 40%

#171 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

:lol:

JACK,

#172 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

:lol:

:rolling:

Then again, I normally don't get below 80% here either, because I delete stuff as I view it most of the time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#173 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Then again, I normally don't get below 80% here either, because I delete stuff as I view it most of the time.

The same here.

JACK,

#174 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I highly doubt DT is using 60% of space for the "Genie".

Their partition, which includes PPV and Genie recordings plus other "stuff" I'm sure, is based on total drive space.

I know this from trying different drive sizes:

2TB drive, they get 17.86G
3TB drive, they get 27.94G
6TB array, they get 55.89G
9TB array, they get 83.83G
12TB array, they get 95.68G

They get less than 1%. (Yeah, I said 10% previously, I was wrong)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#175 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

I haven't gone below 97% with 3 weeks worth of heavy usage yet. :lol:

I haven't counted how many hours lately...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#176 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

That's not really the point is it. The amount of storage space available to the customer has changed without notice. The OP was within the limits that have worked since he got the DVR and now the limits have moved.

If the customer had been given notice that'd be one thing, but even in that scenario saying he should just watch his recordings isn’t really very constructive.

I’m not exactly sure how Genie is configured to use disk space but it certainly has the unintended consequence of interfering with the normal use of those that have mostly full hard drives.

I have no idea how Genie works but it seems to want a certain amount of space and will take it as it frees up. The number of subs affected has to be pretty small but it’s got to be frustrating when you don’t know it’s coming and didn’t have a chance to prepare for it.

Mike

+1

Most other DVRs can run full with only minor slowdowns. The DVR is designed to automatically delete old shows to make room for new ones, so in theory you should never have to delete any shows. I ran my Tivo like that for a long time.

The HR34 is also designed so that an entire household of 5, 6, or 7 people can record all of their individual shows onto one DVR. I bet that kind of usage would fill it up fast.

I think what's happened here is that these people's hard drive's file systems are now corrupted. The Genie didn't make space for itself gracefully. I would suggest the OP clear and delete everything and start over from scratch. I would also call D* and complain loudly. He'll hopefully get a credit or free service of some kind.

#177 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

+1

I think what's happened here is that these people's hard drive's file systems are now corrupted. The Genie didn't make space for itself gracefully. I would suggest the OP clear and delete everything and start over from scratch. I would also call D* and complain loudly. He'll hopefully get a credit or free service of some kind.

What!?!!

There's no evidence of wide spread "corruption", and deleting everything is not indicated, at least as a general rule for this problem and others.

#178 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sorry, meant 40%

Well then we're back to how do you know you deleted 40%, if the free space still reads zero? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#179 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Well then we're back to how do you know you deleted 40%, if the free space still reads zero? :confused:

Because he delete almost half of his recorded shows. So if he had 200 hours of recorded shows, and he deleted 80 hours of them, what percentage of shows did he delete?

Others have said that the Genie takes up around 10%. In theory, he should only have to delete at least 20 hours of shows to get to 10%. He could delete a few more to be on the safe side. But then his free space indicator should start to go up.

The fact that the free space indicator isn't budging isn't a good sign.

I would recommend the Tivo's "clear to do list and season pass" option, as it has gotten a few Tivo users out of a similar jam. But the HR2xs don't have that option. Maybe he could do it manually -- remove all series links and reboot twice. But if that doesn't work, and it still refuses to record anything, what's the next step? Erase everything and start fresh.

All it takes is a few bad bytes in just the wrong place in the file system or partition table to wreak havoc.

#180 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Let me ask this again

So if I delete all my recordings I wouldn't be at 100%?

JACK,

spam firewall