Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tired of shows getting chopped!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

What I'm talking about is when you set a timer to record a network show on the DVR, the beginning has the ending of the previous show, and the end of the show your watching is chopped off so you don't see from 1-2.5 mins of the end and previews.

At first I thought it was the VIP622 that I had to replace after over 5 years, but the replacement does the same thing.

If I can, I have to extend every show by 5 mins so I don't miss the end!

It does this on all channels.

I know it's not the broadcasters, but Dish. I spend the winter in Florida, and have cable with a DVR, and watching the same network and shows, they start and end without a problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only one having this "problem"

Can anyone explain the reason for this annoyance?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm with ya! I can't count how many shows get chopped - and of course that's where a future plot is started in the shows.

Many shows I can just go to the recording of the show after it, but not always. Some are very bad. I don't know that it's DISH's fault. It may be the timing of the guide...

#3 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Ya know, I know the response is that the networks extend shows a minute or so past the scheduled stop time to discourage DVR usage. And I don't doubt that's true. And I understand that if this is true, then even if I set the end time to be 3 minutes late, if the timer switches to another channel to record another show that last bit will get cut off. It is a REAL irritation.

But here is what I don't understand. I had DirectTV until very recently, and my DVR only had two tuners, and so it should have had the exact same problem. We set up the Dish DVRs with the same programs and schedules we had with the DirectTV ones. But we never had this problem with DirectTV. It only showed up when we switched to Dish. I don't know if they get around it with the way their buffers are set up (I much preferred how I could switch between two channels on DirectTV and not lose my buffer like you do with Dish) or if they had some other "trick" but for whatever reason this just wasn't a problem for us with DirectTV and I don't know a way around it. It is maddening to have the last 30 seconds of a tense ending cut off because I've got two other shows being recorded at the end of this one, but it happens all the time. All the time. We groan when we see a recording that shows 1.00 in length, because we know with a certainty we will miss the last short bit at the end.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,958 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

DISH has a rather unfortunate habit of rounding the guide times to the nearest half hour. If you look at the TitanTV listings, several shows are actually scheduled to start or end a minute or two early/late.

This conditioning of the guide data needs to stop.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

After all the DVR is just a computer, and if you check the time it shows, and the time it says in the guide, if a show starts at 9pm and ends at 10pm, I can understand a lapse of 15sec +or_, but not mins. into the next show like a chain reaction.

CBS started doing this on Sunday nights some years ago, and ruin prime time shows that people with DVR's recorded. 60 Minutes would run more then 30 mins. over ruining the entire eveing recordings! I called it the kiss of death for any show that came after "90 Minutes".

This is the networks fault and is not the same as with the guide or timer settings. What I'm trying to say is the clock shows the correct time, and the guide shows the corect start/stop time. It should work, but for some reason every show is delayed for a large amout of time, in a nut shell.

#6 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

The problwm is Dish rounds their guide to the nearest five minutes (not thirty minutes)while DirecTV rounds to the nearest minute. Programmers begin the problem by not always ending programs on the hour, or half hour, but Dish exacerbates it by having their guide broken down ito increments no smaller than five minutes.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,958 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

But we never had this problem with DirectTV. It only showed up when we switched to Dish.

DIRECTV should be commended for the way they handle this. When shows overlap on the same channel, the DVR seems to record both programs off the same tuner. This may be why DIRECTV couldn't manage to record more than two channels at a time (as was claimed in early documentation).

Unless this is not possible, DISH needs to adopt this technique as well as eliminating the guide rounding.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,958 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

The problwm is Dish rounds their guide to the nearest five minutes (not thirty minutes)while DirecTV rounds to the nearest minute.

If you test it, I think you'll find that a show that begins at 9:03 will begin recording at 9:00, not 9:05 as you suggest. Maybe you meant to say that the start times were rounded to the beginning of the five minute interval?

Rounding is bad any way you look at it but if it means the difference between being able to record a show or not because of a one or two minute overlap, sometimes you have to make a leap.

#9 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

So, from what everyone is saying, is that Dish has the means to correct this problem, but has done nothing about it.

I started with Dish when they had their 1st DVR the Dishplayer.
It's been so long, I don't remember, but this is the worst:nono:

Harsh, so you are saying that the networks are partly to blame for this, but it also happens with the cable channels.

So I guess Brighthouse cable also compensates for this delay?

Edited by SingleAction, 27 September 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

And I understand that if this is true, then even if I set the end time to be 3 minutes late, if the timer switches to another channel to record another show that last bit will get cut off. It is a REAL irritation.

Something that took me a bit to understand is that 3 minutes on the end means "soft pad". Meaning, it's OK to cut off if you need to to get another show. So if it's happening a lot to a specific/important show, set it/them to 5 minutes and then it will always record the extra. Of course, this means it won't be able to record another show immediately after with the same tuner, but you/it may be able to work around that issue as many shows have another showing that can be picked up instead.

That might get you by until(if) Dish does something to improve the guide data.

#11 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Another big problem is if you are recording two programs back to back and overlap the times you can not watch another program live. Really bad now for monday night football. I try and not record back to back and record the second showing.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

The 3 minute pad is not a "soft pad" If that pad is selected the only way to lose that pad is to manually stop the recording.

As far as the 60 minutes example goes, you can thank the NFL coverage on CBS for the odd start times on Sundays. CBS will run the entire Sunday prime time schedule after the end of the last "late" game (formerly a 4:05 or 4:15 start time late games now start at 4:30). FOX OTOH does not schedule anything important at 7:00 PM, instead they schedule a post game show that is flexible - that is it runs until the top or bottom of the hour so that the Sunday PT shows start on time, even when a late game runs late (they just cancel the 7:30 cartoon show so that the 8:00 Simpsons almost always starts on time).

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

The only time a Dish DVR stops recording one thing and moves to another thing is IF you use the default start/end padding AND record back-to-back shows on the same channel.

IF you do that, then it does cut-off ends of some shows that run long and you'd have to watch the other recording afterwards... but then the end of that show is probably cut off.

I've posted before in other similar threads... I set all my shows to start 2 min early and run 3 min late. That is good for MOST shows... but every once in a while I too miss the end of something that runs long... so 5 min end padding is probably the safest.

Those who swear their cable DVR is not cutting off shows? Well, they must have a setting to go 3-5 minutes long.

Dish receivers do sometimes glitch and truncate recordings... but that's a problem being worked.

The problem MOST people are talking about are networks that run shows several minutes past the hour just to mess with you if you are recording them, because they want you to watch live.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

As Stewart Vernon stated, the networks either shorten or lengthen when they begin or end a program. Thanks.

So, from what everyone is saying, is that Dish has the means to correct this problem, but has done nothing about it.

I started with Dish when they had their 1st DVR the Dishplayer.
It's been so long, I don't remember, but this is the worst:nono:

Harsh, so you are saying that the networks are partly to blame for this, but it also happens with the cable channels.

So I guess Brighthouse cable also compensates for this delay?

#15 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I have both Dish and Brighthouse in Central Florida and I have to set extra time on the Brighthouse DVR or it cuts off

#16 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have also been having this issue with the Hopper. I never get all of The Daily Show on Comedy Central. Had to increase by 5 minutes to get. I've had to go this with quite a few timers already since new season started. So far, no scheduling conflicts though.

Wish they would get this taken care of!!! Very frustrating. And it appears to be system wide.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have also been having this issue with the Hopper. I never get all of The Daily Show on Comedy Central. Had to increase by 5 minutes to get. I've had to go this with quite a few timers already since new season started. So far, no scheduling conflicts though.

Wish they would get this taken care of!!! Very frustrating. And it appears to be system wide.

It isn't something for Dish to fix. It is the networks running their shows long.

I have this with some shows regularly on USA and Comedy Central too.

Nothing Dish can do when the network runs shows longer than they say they will.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#18 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

The 3 minute pad is not a "soft pad" If that pad is selected the only way to lose that pad is to manually stop the recording.

Does this vary by model? On my 722 a 3 minute pad only gets recorded about 80% of the time.

#19 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

That is absolutely WRONG. The three minute pad can and does get dropped anytime the tuner is needed to record a show immediately following the one it is currently recording.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#20 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

It isn't something for Dish to fix. It is the networks running their shows long.

Yes it is something for DISH to fix.

If DISH would do like all the other programming distributors and have their guide go to the actual minute that the program is scheduled to end instead of having the guide cutting it off on the hour the problem would not exist.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...