Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tired of shows getting chopped!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

^^^

I have to remember that. Now, I just try and make sure that nothing butt-ends up against my favorites on a different channel, so I indeed get the +3 min at the end. But my way is very labor intensive.

Don't Dish CSR people peruse these threads? This would seem to be an easy thing to fix.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 721 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

PTAT and AutoHop does that.

PTAT allowing the recording of up to four local networks (including the overlaps).
AutoHop trimming the program to air just before the start to just after the finish.
Record two programs in a row that overlap and each recording is the full program.

One reason I have not pursued Hopper/Joey is that, with my 3 DVRs (2 612s and a 722) I have 6 tuners, 4 of which I often need on a busy night, and I know that Hopper only had 3 tuners. However - am I understanding that Hopper only takes up one tuner to record all 4 network's prime time programming, leaving me 2 free tuners to pick up the shows on, say, TNT or USA, etc?

OH - also, wrt the feature that records all of the prime time shows for the networks: If I go to save, let's say, NCIS, because I will not be able to watch it within the 8 days that I understand this is stored, and NCIS goes a minute over, will the saved NCIS from PTAT have the last minute cut off?

Edited by fudpucker, 09 October 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

One reason I have not pursued Hopper/Joey is that, with my 3 DVRs (2 612s and a 722) I have 6 tuners, 4 of which I often need on a busy night, and I know that Hopper only had 3 tuners. However - am I understanding that Hopper only takes up one tuner to record all 4 network's prime time programming, leaving me 2 free tuners to pick up the shows on, say, TNT or USA, etc?...

Lots of posts in this and other forums - if you want 6 tuners, just get 2 Hoppers and one Joey with the same monthly fees as a Hopper and 2 Joeys. Also, less than you are paying now with more whole home features.

If you have a problem with saving shows that might have the end cut off, you can set regular timers on a Hopper with PTAT turned off -you don't need it on both. You can also set a timer for a PTAT show with extended time and unskip it on the daily schedule and it will use another tuner to give you that extended time.

#54 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,261 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I had a couple of ViPs but I would have to put the same timers on both machines if I wanted to watch stuff in the bedroom.

That was the real clincher in the Hopper/Joey setup for me. I only had to record stuff in ONE place and could watch it anywhere. Over time, I'm discovering I don't need 5 tuners. PTAT has made 3 tuners work for me (so far). I have a 2H/3J setup and I've yet to watch anything on the second Hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...