Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Launches dishNET Broadband

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

A utility called Networx tells me I'm using 15 to 19 Gb/mo and that's without any video or audio streaming of any kind.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'm contracted directly with Wildblue/Exede and have the 12mbs down/3mbs up plan with 10gB's monthly limits...Each customer has a usage counter that can be monitored via browser logging into their personal account, or gadgets like RealityRipple can be installed which will fetch that data and keep a history of usage for the customer and a mouse-over the icon near the clock will show current usage.

When purchased directly from ViaSat/Wildblue/Exede this plan has a late night free zone (LNFZ) from midnight to 5am local time that allows customers un-metered internet use..

Also, the usage (which is a sum of both download and upload bytes used by the customer) resets to zero once a month on the customers' installation date, the same day of the month that billing is done, everyone has a different date depending on the day of the month that their service started.

Exede also allows customers to buy extra gB's of usage for about $10/gB...they can also upgrade to higher priced tiers to get more Data Allowance Policy (DAP) plans.

Even if a customer exceeds their monthly DAP they are just slowed to 128kbs until their reset date, buy more or upgrade, except even when Dapped the LNFZ from midnight to 5am has full speed restored for those hours..

I would caution potential customers to closely check Dishnet offers...they may not include some of these Exede features even though a bundled package may save you $10/month.

Latency on Exede plans using the ViaSat-1 satellite are less than half of what it was on older satellite internet plans and averages about 600ms...it works fine with VOIP, my daughter uses a Verizon Network Extender connected to the router and I can't detect any voice lag from the latency, though I know it's there..

Go to this web site, enter your zip code, and browse through the plans and costs..do the same for DishNet plans..

The 12mbs Exede plans are from ViaSat-1 spot beams concentrated mainly east of the Mississippi river and spot beams are also available for most of California. For the rest of the country Exede 5 (5mbs) plans may be available using "augmented" spot beams from the older satellites ANIK-F2 and WB-1. I include a link to show spot-beam coverage for the entire country..

I know DishNet also offers plans from HughesNet satellites, their new bird has Gen4 plans, so check them closely also...most folks that have compared the two plans from HughesNet and Wildblue/Exede are convinced the WB/Exede plans have the best features and speeds for the price..

Put your zip code in here and check out plans you can get and prices:

http://www.wildblue.com/

And you can look at these maps that show what spot beams are available from what satellite, and pay close attention to the Exede map to see if you can get the 12 or 5 mbs beams:

http://www.wildbluet...gh-mid-low.html

Edit: I forgot to mention, my average download speeds are 18mbs...it never drops below 12mbs, even during the prime-time evening use hours when bandwidth demand is at the peak..

Edited by 4bama, 05 October 2012 - 07:46 AM.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#23 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

How will you know how many GB you have used? ATT had a cap when I had them, but there was no way for me to know what I had used, only them. :( That was ugly.

According to what I was told on the phone, once I am set up, I can log into a Dish site and see my usage so far for the month -- so that I can monitor where I am in relation to the cap.

- John...

#24 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

wisp is obvious way to go for anyone that has a provider in their area .... i had it before dsl....39.99 and avg 3-5 meg down and 1meg up ,,,NO USAGE Caps and great ping times (could play Online games without lagging) sat internet is getter better and cheaper but will never overcome lag...

#25 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

So -- got my install completed yesterday as expected -- all went well. A few notes...

1. The dish says Exede right on it and the installer confirmed it was "Exede by ViaSat." The modem also came in a ViaSat box.

2. I'm on the 5M/1M plan. I'm getting, on an ongoing basis, 10-15Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up. Constantly.

3. The installer tells me that this is NOT the new DishNET stuff that they just announced! Even though that is what I called and signed up for (or so I thought), he tells me that they haven't completed training on the brand new DishNET stuff yet and that it'll be a few more weeks before they install any in our area. He says that it is still Exede but is completely different equipment -- different dish/transmitter and different modem. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that... Hmmm...

4. I thought that I was supposed to need a "clear view of the southern sky." My dish points mostly west -- MAYBE southwest, I guess. I asked him which bird it was pointing at and he didn't know. He told me that it is somewhere between 110 and 119 though.

5. My ping times are around 600-700ms consistently. When I had HughesNet years ago, they were 900-1200ms.

6. He didn't have my login information -- so I still can't log in and see usage yet. My router tracks usage, so I'm using that for now -- but it would be nice to be able to log in and see it like I was told I'd be able to do... I need to call Dish and find out how to get my login info. It appears to be different from my standard Dish.com login.

So -- I'm happy with the speed and performance -- but there is lots more I need to get more info on...

Will update when I know more.

- John...

#26 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

6. He didn't have my login information -- so I still can't log in and see usage yet. My router tracks usage, so I'm using that for now -- but it would be nice to be able to log in and see it like I was told I'd be able to do... I need to call Dish and find out how to get my login info. It appears to be different from my standard Dish.com login.

Correction: Apparently, it IS just the standard login. If I log into dish.com (i.e. mydish.com), there is now a "My Broadband" tab that shows my current usage for the month. Here it is:

Posted Image

Yes, I did over 1GB in the first day. heh. I was finally able to download a ton of updates that I had waiting and sync my Dropbox account! :)

- John...

#27 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

We'll have to see if the period actually runs from the 1st to the 1st -- or from the date of service as it appears to indicate in the picture.

According to the Dish info that I can find, it all says that in the OLD system, it was from install date to 30 days later. And in the NEW system, it is from the 1st to the 1st. Again, I was TOLD that I was signing up for the NEW system, but it appears that I actually got the OLD one. Whether or not that is going to matter, I don't know yet... Hmmm...

- John...

#28 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Interesting... Logged in to look at my stuff online and suddenly I have extra charges on my bill in the "proposed" for next month section:

SD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver $17.00
Receiver $7.00

Note that I have only one active receiver: a 722. I pay a $6/month DVR fee for that 722.

So, I go to the My Equipment section -- and, suddenly, I have THREE listed "active" receivers:

My 722.
A 721 that I replaced about 3 years ago with the 722.
A 522 that I replaced about 5-6 years ago with the 721!

So, the 721 hasn't been "active" on my account for at least 3 years -- and the 522 not for at least 5 years! And, yes, suddenly, they are ALL active on my account and I'm being charged $24 extra per month for them! :)

I called and Dish said they didn't know why that happened, but would de-activate the extra two so that I didn't get charged extra next month.

Very odd! Always double-check your programming and equipment after making any change! :)

- John...

#29 OFFLINE   bbeeman

bbeeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

If you have not been on satellite, beware of the latency problem. It's not so much the absolute speed the link delivers, unless you are moving large files...the latency kills most web browsing.

Each query has an added 240 ms. to get to the server, and the reply has the same 240 ms. delay (basic physics), plus whatever delay is inherent in the routers and servers involved. Look how many pieces a modern web page consists of, and the browsing experience is miserable. A half-second doesn't seem like much, but make five or ten calls to get a complete page and you'll spend a great deal of time waiting for the page to build.

I understand that dishNET is claiming lower latency, but the biggest part of the problem is distance and the basic laws of physics.

I've had both Hughes and WildBlue, and the local WISP, with a much lower quoted speed outperforms either. They're not perfect (not enough power backup on the local AP), but overall better (and cheaper).

#30 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

The new satellite, ViaSat-1, from Wildblue/Exede, provides a new technology called AcceleNet. When a browser requests a DNS or web site request AcceleNet intercepts this request, gathers all the elements of that web page, compresses it and sends the compressed page to the customer's modem where built-in firmware decompresses the data and presents it to the customers' browser...either via the router or directly to their computer if customer does not use a wireless router.

This allows almost instant web page loading...I barely get my finger off the mouse when I click a web site request and the page is totally loaded...this AcceleNet technology also reduces the number of bytes sent over the satellite, which reduces the usage charged to the customers' usage allowance for their particular plan.

The total latency with this new satellite and technology is about 600ms...never noticed in browsing, and my daughter also has the Exede12 service and installed a Verizon network extender to her router and uses it for their cell phone and smart phone connections (no cell tower signal in our remote location) and I can't detect any latency from her cell phone calls to/from me, although I know it's there.

I'm contracted directly with WB/Exede with 12mbs (averages 20mbs) service and the $49 plan with 10gB's of anytime usage and with a free, unmetered, window from midnight to 5am local time, called Late-Night-Free-Zone..

The customers have to lease the equipment for $9.99/month so my total monthly bill is ~$60.00.

DishNet, as of now, does not offer the LNFZ, but you save $5.00/month bundling this service...but you also get slower speeds from DishNet plans and may get service from HughesNet's Gen4 satellite without the AcceleNet technology..

If you live in an area where dial-up is your only choice (or slow DSL) then I recommend getting the Exede service directly from WB/Exede. Go to this web site and enter your zip code to see what's offered in your geographical area...not all of the US is covered by ViaSat-1 spot-beams, but the areas that are not can get the Exede5 plan (5mbs) for the same price..

www.wildblue.com
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#31 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Just to note it, it looks like, right now, Dish is actually doing the LNFZ thing. Even though it is supposed to be 10GB, the gauge at MyDish for the 2am-8am "off-peak" time slot never seems to change -- it just stays at 0 used and the gauge says "Usage Is Unlimited At This Time."

That could change, of course, since we are only promised 10GB during that slot -- but it looks like, for now at least, it IS actually doing the Late Night Free Zone...

- John...

#32 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just to note it, it looks like, right now, Dish is actually doing the LNFZ thing. Even though it is supposed to be 10GB, the gauge at MyDish for the 2am-8am "off-peak" time slot never seems to change -- it just stays at 0 used and the gauge says "Usage Is Unlimited At This Time."

That could change, of course, since we are only promised 10GB during that slot -- but it looks like, for now at least, it IS actually doing the Late Night Free Zone...

- John...

John, the word from other Dish customers with Exede is that they are not enforcing the caps right now, but will soon...and then the 10/10 plan means 10gB-anytime use and 10gB's during the "off-peak" hours, but no LNFZ is expected...

Compare that to WB/Exede plan and there are no "split" usage rules...it's 10gB anytime except from midnight to 5am where it is unlimited and unmetered...

Be careful when Dish does start enforcing the caps until all the rules are fully understood...

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,720 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

what that "gB" mean ?

if it Gigabits, then it should be "Gb", if GigaBytes, then "GB"

#34 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

what that "gB" mean ?

if it Gigabits, then it should be "Gb", if GigaBytes, then "GB"

Almost all sites use lower-case to indicate "bits" and upper-case to indicate "Bytes"..

In this case 10gB's means gigaBytes..

Likewise, 128kbs is kilo-bits/sec and 12mbs is 12 mega-bits/sec while some speed test sites report speeds as 2mB's/sec or 2 mega-Bytes/sec and so on...

Lower/upper case use normally applies to bits or Bytes only...mega or kilo are rarely shown in upper-case because it does not distinguish any meaningful information..

#35 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

John, the word from other Dish customers with Exede is that they are not enforcing the caps right now, but will soon...and then the 10/10 plan means 10gB-anytime use and 10gB's during the "off-peak" hours, but no LNFZ is expected...

Yes, I'm well aware and I'll be fine when it kicks in since that is what I subscribed to. I was just pointing out that, right now, it appears to be unlimited also.

Compare that to WB/Exede plan and there are no "split" usage rules...it's 10gB anytime except from midnight to 5am where it is unlimited and unmetered...

That's fine. I simply won't use it much during those times. I will schedule updates for those times -- and 10GB will be plenty for me. As a bonus, I like that the Dish plan goes until 8am. I might actually be up at 7am now and then and can actively make some use out of that extra time besides just scheduled downloads/updates.

- John...

#36 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Almost all sites use lower-case to indicate "bits" and upper-case to indicate "Bytes"..

Agreed -- but I think his point is that almost all sites and all people use "G" to indicate GIGA. He wasn't questioning your "b" versus "B" really -- he was asking why you did "gB" instead of GB like most would. :)

Lower/upper case use normally applies to bits or Bytes only...mega or kilo are rarely shown in upper-case because it does not distinguish any meaningful information..

We can agree to disagree. While it doesn't distinguish any meaningful information, I almost ALWAYS see SIZE measurements indicated with upper-case letters. People buy 4GB of RAM. They buy 500GB hard drives. I very rarely see it as 4gB of RAM or 500gB HDD.

I do see people often not use it for SPEED measurements -- so I will agree with you that people will often write "5mbps" -- but I often see "5Mbps" too. But, again, when it comes to total size measurements -- like talking about the 10 gigabyte cap here, I almost ALWAYS see sizes written as 10GB, not 10gB.

I think that's all he was saying -- and I completely agree with him.

- John...

#37 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

In my head:
mbps - megabits per second
MB, mb - megabyte
Gbps - gigabits per second
GB, gb - gigabyte
gB, mB - someone got their caps lock stuck

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,720 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

There are ISO standards and I don't know if you been in a school or college or university,
but low case letter designated to 1/10 1/100 1/1000 prefix and upper case for a prefix of 10, 100 1000 etc
Perhaps you are far away from engineering when it's mandatory to follow the standards
remember some outer space mission was failed when SW guy use imperial instead metric units ?

#39 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Upper/lower case for K/k, M/m, G/g and T/t becomes a personal choice torn between my 1962 BS degree in Physics/minor in math, at University of Alabama and my 45 years as an Aerospace Systems Test Engineer, and my many years running my free BBS system where we preached to users that using upper case was considered impolite and "shouting" at someone..:lol:

This is an off-topic subject, so we'll leave it there...as long as the message is accurately understood by the reader why quibble over gB vs GB...:D

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,720 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

that would be ongoing questioning each time if each retiree will bring it again .. :D

spam firewall