Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Launches dishNET Broadband

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

The new satellite, ViaSat-1, from Wildblue/Exede, provides a new technology called AcceleNet. When a browser requests a DNS or web site request AcceleNet intercepts this request, gathers all the elements of that web page, compresses it and sends the compressed page to the customer's modem where built-in firmware decompresses the data and presents it to the customers' browser...either via the router or directly to their computer if customer does not use a wireless router.

This allows almost instant web page loading...I barely get my finger off the mouse when I click a web site request and the page is totally loaded...this AcceleNet technology also reduces the number of bytes sent over the satellite, which reduces the usage charged to the customers' usage allowance for their particular plan.

The total latency with this new satellite and technology is about 600ms...never noticed in browsing, and my daughter also has the Exede12 service and installed a Verizon network extender to her router and uses it for their cell phone and smart phone connections (no cell tower signal in our remote location) and I can't detect any latency from her cell phone calls to/from me, although I know it's there.

I'm contracted directly with WB/Exede with 12mbs (averages 20mbs) service and the $49 plan with 10gB's of anytime usage and with a free, unmetered, window from midnight to 5am local time, called Late-Night-Free-Zone..

The customers have to lease the equipment for $9.99/month so my total monthly bill is ~$60.00.

DishNet, as of now, does not offer the LNFZ, but you save $5.00/month bundling this service...but you also get slower speeds from DishNet plans and may get service from HughesNet's Gen4 satellite without the AcceleNet technology..

If you live in an area where dial-up is your only choice (or slow DSL) then I recommend getting the Exede service directly from WB/Exede. Go to this web site and enter your zip code to see what's offered in your geographical area...not all of the US is covered by ViaSat-1 spot-beams, but the areas that are not can get the Exede5 plan (5mbs) for the same price..

www.wildblue.com

I too, am contracted directly with Exede, but, as are several other subscribers, subject to overnight outages that sometimes go into mid afternoon of the following day. For this reason alone, have considered switching to Dishnet, but upon reading all of the inputs, it looks as if my issues could repeat with Dish because of the sharing agreement. I will be anxious to hear inputs from new DishNet subscribers regarding this issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jkosnjekarmy

jkosnjekarmy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Did anybody notice how, in the customer story, that the guy lives in an area that isn't serviced by broadband internet, yet the school issues mostly online homework? It seems like poor foresight on the schools part and lucky timing for the customer in regards to DISHNet Becoming available. Just saying...

#43 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Did anybody notice how, in the customer story, that the guy lives in an area that isn't serviced by broadband internet, yet the school issues mostly online homework? It seems like poor foresight on the schools part and lucky timing for the customer in regards to DISHNet Becoming available. Just saying...

That sounds like around here. The school board is on a kick of having every kid an iPad and the kids take them home and like I have said before, the DSL is questionable, expensive, and limited in area and the WISP available is the same. All I have been able to figure out is that there are some mighty big bribes at work, otherwise known as typical spending of taxpayer dollars. :(

Am interested in the Dish offering as it seems like it should be cheaper and more reliable than the other offerings.

#44 OFFLINE   jimcoe

jimcoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

It sounds a lot like Exede, the new satellite service from WildBlue. I have Exede and it is a big upgrade from the "legacy" WildBlue System. My only issue with Exede is overnight outages that last sometimes into mid-day, so I was waiting for the dishNet release and thinking about changing over. I am a current Dish subscriber and the price looks tempting. Does anybody have any info regarding the satellite locations compared to the current Dish locations for TV?

Dish is selling both Exede and HughesNet and branding them both as DishNet. Where you live determines which one you get.

#45 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

the main difference why Dishnet is different from hughes or exede is the satellite it operates on called the jupiter, its much faster, more reliable, and lower cost to maintain and operate. thus the lower costs, and since its dish branded of course dish customers get a break.
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#46 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

the main difference why Dishnet is different from hughes or exede is the satellite it operates on called the jupiter, its much faster, more reliable, and lower cost to maintain and operate. thus the lower costs, and since its dish branded of course dish customers get a break.

That's not quite true.

DishNet buys bandwidth from both HughesNet satellites (including the Gen4 "Jupiter") and from Wildblue/Exede which includes ViaSat-1.

Which satellite you get service from with DishNet depends on where you live.

You get faster speed, unlimited usage from midnight-5am if you buy directly from WB/Exede. Buying directly from HughesNet also has some perks.

The only advantage you get buying through DishNet is a $5/month discount if you also bundle it with a Dish TV package.

Compare all 3 options....buy directly from Wildblue/Exede, from HughesNet or from DishNet..but just remember, DishNet does not own nor operate any of the satellites that provide internet services from the Jupiter/Gen4 or ViaSat-1 satellites..they just lease and resell bandwidth from Wildblue/Exede and HughesNet.
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#47 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

The only advantage you get buying through DishNet is a $5/month discount if you also bundle it with a Dish TV package.

Actually it's $10/mo. But once you add the "equipment charge" of $10/mo they just kinda cancel each other out.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#48 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Actually it's $10/mo. But once you add the "equipment charge" of $10/mo they just kinda cancel each other out.

Even if you buy directly from WB/Exede it's also a $9.99/month lease fee for the equipment...they no longer allow customers to buy their own equipment..

Not sure about the HughesNet fees...

So you still save $10/month going through DishNet if you bundle..
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#49 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

The $10 discount is not offered to non-Dish subscribers, so they wind up paying more than what is listed on Dish's site.

#50 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well, as an update, mine has been working great. It's fast for downloads. In fact, I would argue that it is TOO fast at times -- I might configure my router to slow things down actually so that I don't use so much bandwidth. (For example, I might want to watch just a short clip of a Vimeo video online, but then not the entire thing. With this speed, the entire video gets downloaded quickly -- eating up my bandwidth. So, I think I might throttle myself to like 1Mbps most of the time unless I need to download something big on purpose -- just to keep things reasonable!)

In any case, I have the 10Mbps/20GB plan. I consistently get anywhere from 15-22Mbps. I'm fairly certain I've seen bursts of 28-30Mbps.

I had a 5GB update for an Xbox 360 game that I needed to download. Started it during the free period the other night and it was just screaming along -- with no impact on my usage, of course. (Granted, that 2am-8am slot is supposed to be only 10GB also -- but, right now, it is unlimited.)

Ping times are consistently 700-800ms, which is what I expected.

I'm on the ViaSat setup.

- John...

#51 OFFLINE   jimcoe

jimcoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

That's not quite true.

DishNet buys bandwidth from both HughesNet satellites (including the Gen4 "Jupiter") and from Wildblue/Exede which includes ViaSat-1.

You get faster speed, unlimited usage from midnight-5am if you buy directly from WB/Exede. Buying directly from HughesNet also has some perks.

Compare all 3 options....buy directly from Wildblue/Exede, from HughesNet or from DishNet..but just remember, DishNet does not own nor operate any of the satellites that provide internet services from the Jupiter/Gen4 or ViaSat-1 satellites..they just lease and resell bandwidth from Wildblue/Exede and HughesNet.

Dish (Echostar) does own HughesNet.

#52 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

That's not quite true.

wrong, You get a $10 discount, and the free download and bonus data applies 2am to 8am, because i install it and have the flyer if youd like me to post a pic
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#53 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

dish also owns exede, it was previously called wild blue but left a bad taste in its customers mouth about cost vs speed for cost, which is why the rebranding after the launch of the new satellite in february.

#54 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Huh? Its an independent company, from the info I can find on it.

#55 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

wrong, You get a $10 discount, and the free download and bonus data applies 2am to 8am, because i install it and have the flyer if youd like me to post a pic

DishNet does not offer any "Free" download times from the Exede and Gen4 packages...only from packages from their older existing satellites with much slower speeds.

The Exede/Gen4 plans have split data cap plans...for example the 10/10 plan allows 10GB's anytime usage and 10GB's of use from 2-8am..

DishNet is not yet enforcing the 2-8am caps but will soon, per their forums.

#56 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

DishNet does not offer any "Free" download times from the Exede and Gen4 packages...only from packages from their older existing satellites with much slower speeds.

The Exede/Gen4 plans have split data cap plans...for example the 10/10 plan allows 10GB's anytime usage and 10GB's of use from 2-8am..

I already knew that, there is a 5/5 plan, a 10/10 plan and a 15/15 plan available for 39.99, 49.99 and 69.99 for dish customers add 10 is not a dish customer

#57 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes and no. It isn't advertised that way but, right now, the 2AM-8AM slot appears to be "unlimited" even though it is only supposed to be a 5GB or 10GB bucket. I expect this to change but, right now, it is essentially an unlimited period.

That is on the "ViaSat" plan -- which is Exede, right? As I said above, I am consistently getting anywhere from 15-22Mbps. I'm fairly certain I've seen bursts of 28-30Mbps. I can't image something else being much faster than that -- so I assume that what I have is an "Exede or Gen4 plan." Is that correct?

So -- does Dish own ViaSat? From the way I'm reading things, it certainly looks like ViaSat is the real provider -- and even WildBlue was getting it from them. Is ViaSat and WildBlue the same company?

Agreed. So, effectively, it currently is an unlimited window. :) It just isn't promised or likely to STAY that way.

- John...

#58 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

That is on the "ViaSat" plan -- which is Exede, right? As I said above, I am consistently getting anywhere from 15-22Mbps. I'm fairly certain I've seen bursts of 28-30Mbps. I can't image something else being much faster than that -- so I assume that what I have is an "Exede or Gen4 plan." Is that correct?

So -- does Dish own ViaSat? From the way I'm reading things, it certainly looks like ViaSat is the real provider -- and even WildBlue was getting it from them. Is ViaSat and WildBlue the same company?

- John...

ViaSat owns Wildblue...for conversation purposes they're one and the same for internet services...Wildblue sells Exede...they also sell the older plans, called Legacy...

DishNet buys bandwidth from ViaSat/WB/Exede to resell under their own plans, rules and regulations...DishNet also buys bandwidth from HughesNet's Gen4 to do the same..

Some geographic locations can get service from either ViaSat-1/Exede or Gen4 satellite, other locations can only get one or the other..

Easy way to see if your location can get Exede12 or Exede5 is to go here and enter your zip code...

http://www.wildblue.com/

If your location can get service from both the ViaSat-1/Exede12 or the HughesNet Gen4 then others have said you can choose which one you prefer if you buy through DishNet..

Best overall plan is to buy directly from WB/Exede if you can get the Exede12 service..IMHO

#59 OFFLINE   jimcoe

jimcoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

dish also owns exede, it was previously called wild blue but left a bad taste in its customers mouth about cost vs speed for cost, which is why the rebranding after the launch of the new satellite in february.

No, Dish doesn't own Exede. Viasat markets their product via various branding including Wildblue, Exede, Tooway, and others. Dish acquired Hughes within the last couple of years.

#60 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm not a technical type person, but with my Dish TV and blockbuster...wouldn't streaming just a little bit each month eat up the minimum package pretty quickly?

I ask because we're about ready to dump our land line and the internet package from our local phone company and will need something else for net service

spam firewall