Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Launches dishNET Broadband

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Maybe they wouldn't count BB against your quota?
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

slim chance ... all traffic is counting by bytes, not a content

#63 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

slim chance ... all traffic is counting by bytes, not a content

Also I would be surprised if anti-trust issues weren't in play.

IF Dish didn't count bandwidth for streaming from Blockbuster service... but did count bandwidth from Netflix, for example... that would put Netflix at a competitive disadvantage and probably bring on a lawsuit against Dish.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#64 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Comcast is doing this with there On Demand app on the Xbox 360; it doesn't count toward the monthly bandwidth cap. Originally they said the reasoning was because the bytes go out over there Private IP Network and never reach the Public Internet, but they were quick to remove that wording from there Official FAQs on there site shortly after it sparked public outcry. http://gigaom.com/vi...box-faq-update/

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#65 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Indeed -- I was thinking the same thing. They should have content related to Dish (including the TV Everywhere stuff) not count against the cap but, unfortunately, it DOES count. And, yes, to answer your question, you would hit the cap very quickly on the default plan watching just a movie or two.

On a side note concerning content... When I had HughesNet before, if I recall, they eventually had it for a while where downloads from Windows Update did not count against your cap. This was back when the cap was like 169MB per month -- and, basically, just getting the Windows Updates for the week would go beyond your monthly cap! So, they started not counting it.

So, clearly, it is technically feasible to do content-based (or, at least, IP/server-based) counting (or lack thereof). Therefore, it likely wouldn't be too difficult to NOT count certain steaming media if they WANTED to.

- John...

#66 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I ask because we're about ready to dump our land line and the internet package from our local phone company and will need something else for net service

Don't know your reasons or finances, but if you've had any form of wired internet service (other than dial-up), you will not be happy with satellite.

Also I would be surprised if anti-trust issues weren't in play.

IF Dish didn't count bandwidth for streaming from Blockbuster service... but did count bandwidth from Netflix, for example... that would put Netflix at a competitive disadvantage and probably bring on a lawsuit against Dish.

Isn't that the whole issue behind net neutrality?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#67 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Isn't that the whole issue behind net neutrality?

As I understand it, that is at least a big part of the debate... When your provider makes it more attractive to use their services than other internet services, it creates a problem with fair competition.

In theory you're not supposed to be able to do such things, but companies do until they don't :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#68 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I'm finally able to ditch Hughesnet. My 2 years is up. It is awful.

#69 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Net Neutrality says, for example, that Comcast can't say that traffic to Netflix would count against your bandwidth cap and traffic to their On Demand site would not. It says that Time Warner can't slow down your speeds when going to Amazon Video instead of signing up for their cable service.

Consider if the phone company (way back when) said "You can call a Ford dealership with perfect clarity but calls to Chrysler will be of limited length and reduced bandwith (and cost more)".

#70 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

If I recall correctly, dish does not own Hughes, Echostar does. Also, I know when wildblue originally came out dish owned a partial stake, but not sure if they still do now. I believe dish helped found wildblue.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#71 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

As to the pricing of dishNET sevice. The commercials are touting plans starting at $39.99mo for internet service when bundled with your DISH video service. There is currently no way to get dishNET service for the advertised rate of 39.99mo. The $10mo Equipment Fee is mandatory (equip. not included and no purchase option).

At least with DISH's video service, there has allways been a setup that would allow a customer to receive service at the advertised price point (1st receiver included in package price). The dishNET commercials come off as very deceptive in this regard.

#72 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

As to the pricing of dishNET sevice. The commercials are touting plans starting at $39.99mo for internet service when bundled with your DISH video service. There is currently no way to get dishNET service for the advertised rate of 39.99mo. The $10mo Equipment Fee is mandatory (equip. not included and no purchase option).

At least with DISH's video service, there has allways been a setup that would allow a customer to receive service at the advertised price point (1st receiver included in package price). The dishNET commercials come off as very deceptive in this regard.

+1

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#73 OFFLINE   Agnes

Agnes

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I would be interested in hearing about experiences with VOIP through any of the satellite providers. I am currently using HughesNet. I am off the grid and until recently could get cell coverage ( 90% of the time) with a Yagi antenna and booster. For some reason the cell coverage is not working or is very random so I'm looking for options. Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated!

#74 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

I thought it was Hughesnet rebranded

spam firewall