Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How Solid is the Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

The HR34 records five programs at once. Five that I want and that I choose. I have no need to record network tv in its primetime entirety and then wait till the next day to be able to auto-skip all the ads. This implementation is no doubt perfect for some; useless for others. I attended a DISH presentation of the Hopper and Joey last February in Vegas and hated the look and the heat of the Joey.

I hope you are happy with your new set up. Best of luck!

Thank you, and the same to you..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

I had a few issues the first couple days, but according to DISH (and the DISH rep that's a member of this forum), the system needs to update after being installed, so you'll have a couple days of quirkyness, but mine has been very stable and solid since. It is much better than the D* whole-home system I had prior. I'm happy with my Hopper/2 Joeys. I would recommend it....

I went with 2 Joeys because I don't use the 2nd Joey that much. It is in a spare bedroom/office and rarely gets used. If I actually used my 2nd Joey on a regular basis, I might have went with 2 Hoppers/1 Joey instead.

12mo pricing is pretty similar, but Dish will save you a few $ (not much). After the 12mo, DISH will definitely be cheaper.
I'm saving $50/mo with DISH's contract pricing over D*'s standard pricing. After the 12mo, DISH's standard pricing will be $20 cheaper than what I was paying with D*.

DISH has more HD channels that I like to watch than D* did...
DISH gives you Encore in their highest package (250)..D* makes you pay for it. No, it's not HBO or Starz, and and Encore only plays old movies, but hey, I like old movies.
DISH dropped AMC a couple months ago, but I expect that to be resolved here in another month or so. Every TV provider goes through bouts like this.
DISH carries a couple extra networks that are not on D* that also prompted my switch, along with the Hopper.

Like I said, I don't regret it, but you'll have to decide for yourself what you want/need. I'm not a sports person, but D* is known for their sports packages. However, DISH has NFL RedZone, NHL Center Ice and MLB packages that I hear are quite good and comparable to D*.

I formerly had an HR22 and 2 HR100's with D*. Whole home worked, but I didn't have DVR capabilities on EVERY TV. I could watch movies from the HR22 from anywhere, but couldn't have full DVR like the Hopper/Joey system.

Each has their pros/cons, but both will likely be better than cable. I am a self-reliant kind of person and live in TX down in hurricane country. During our last hurricane, I was without internet for several weeks due to some trees taking out some poles down the street that fed my phone drop. My neighbor's who had cable were without cable for several weeks also due to the local cable network losing feeds due to downed trees. With sat, all I need is power to my TV and receivers and I'm back on the air to be able to follow local and national news/weather. Living here, I prefer sat. When I lived up north, cable was just fine for me... So it will all depend on your preference. If your cable (TWC) sucks, you will most likely enjoy sat more.

Edited by arvetus, 28 September 2012 - 08:10 AM.

spam firewall