Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing dish using on a pole

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi, my parents have moved to south jersey - mays landing area. They want to get directv, I will be calling and getting everything setup.

My step dad asked me, if the dish could be installed on a pole vs the roof or side of the house.

Mainly it will be alot easier for him, if he has to go and clean it or whatever.

He has a nice clear view of the southern and western skies.

I have directv at my house, and it is on top of my roof.

I get great signal.

so I wanted to know is height a major importance on getting clear signals.

The pole I guess would be about 6-8 ft tall, the dish will be pointed properly and will not have a obstructed view of the sky.

I would say the next house down is atleast 500 ft away and no tall trees in the way.

Also will directv provide the pole or do I have to go get one?

any info will be greatful guys and gals. If you need any further detail about the house let me know.

Lou

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

A pole mount/install will usually be extra unless it's the ONLY option to get signal. If you plan on having Directv do it, I'd call the day before and actually speak to the install company any make sure that they're aware they'll have to do a pole mount. If you mount the pole yourself, it won't be any problem. If you're going to do it yourself, I'd go with probably a 7' pole. This gives good clearance so somebody isn't going to walk in front of it, but low enough so it can be reached with a broom to sweep off snow.

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

When you place the order ask them to put in notes to tech "bring pole and a working cell number" that someone will answer. All the techs I know carry poles I have five or six on my truck. We are not allowed to charge for a pole mounted KA/KU ODU. We can charge to bury cable. Your experience may vary though depending on who you order from and what company gets the work order. Our poles are around six foot nineish and if I do it there will be about four feet sticking out of the ground. Takes a mighty tall person to block the signal. A clear line of sight is the only thing that matters for a strong signal.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

When you place the order ask them to put in notes to tech "bring pole and a working cell number" that someone will answer. All the techs I know carry poles I have five or six on my truck. We are not allowed to charge for a pole mounted KA/KU ODU. We can charge to bury cable. Your experience may vary though depending on who you order from and what company gets the work order. Our poles are around six foot nineish and if I do it there will be about four feet sticking out of the ground. Takes a mighty tall person to block the signal. A clear line of sight is the only thing that matters for a strong signal.

They must have changed the policy regarding pole installs then. It USED to be that if you wanted a pole install, but there were other install options available, you had to pay extra for the pole install.
And I don't really know physics or anything like that, but I'm 6' tall. If I stood in front of a dish that was 4' high, would I block the signal, or no?
Also, as far as requesting a pole install when you order-it's been my experience that CSRs don't always include notes or anything on an order. Not saying this is ALL CSRs, but I'd rather be sure the installer knows BEFORE he shows up rather than have him show up and he doesn't have any poles to do a pole install (Had this happen to me once).

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,045 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Just as a point of reference...

My dish is pole-mounted, and has been trouble-free through 2 dish installations (the original and an updated DirecTV dish a few years back) over a 7-year span.

It was installed (and done quite well with them digging the hole and installing concrete to set it in place solid) at no extra cost. Of course the fact that I had a few cold brewski's in the fridge when they showed up didn't hurt. :rolleyes::D

It is also (obviously) important that you have a pole location that allows a clear site to the sats (no trees or other things in the way). Not every property can support that situation.

I believe that when you place a dish installation order, you need to let them know that a roof install is not an option in your location, so a pole install is required. It is a prudent practice to ask about this up front and make sure the install order record reflects this preference.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

And I don't really know physics or anything like that, but I'm 6' tall. If I stood in front of a dish that was 4' high, would I block the signal, or no?

Also, as far as requesting a pole install when you order-it's been my experience that CSRs don't always include notes or anything on an order. Not saying this is ALL CSRs, but I'd rather be sure the installer knows BEFORE he shows up rather than have him show up and he doesn't have any poles to do a pole install (Had this happen to me once).

Around here the elevation to the 103 is around 40 degrees, I can park my van(around eight-five) in front of the dish without ill effects.

Most of my work orders have notes to the tech usually useless information about dogs and programming. Sometimes "customer wont be home till five", (priceless), bring pole, cell numbers.....your mileage may vary.;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks, to all. The most important was answered. That once installed correctly aslong as a clear view is set even though its in the ground about 6-8 ft tall it will recieve the signal strong, as if its on the roof.

The house is a vertical house, so try and thing big or long house in a vertical shape totaling about 70 ft long, then we have the screen room which is about 10 ft long. then the backyard which is an additional 90 ft long, ( vertical, and is double property)

the goal would be to install the dish right outside the door of the screen / patio door on the left along the fence right around there, that spot is perfect clear view of the southern / western sky.

we do have a few tall trees but its at the end of the yard 70 ft, but no where close to blocking the signal. Our neighboor does have a built in ground grill / smoker / pizza maker, the only thing that worries me, is when he cooks, the smoke sometimes the wind will push it into our yard, now by the time it would reach where the dish is going to go it is well clear air, but i just was hoping that wouldnt be a problem.

now when they grill its usually during dinner period, sometimes on weekends lunch, and on special occasion during holiday when he uses the smoker, he will cook something for 12 hrs, but thats rare and usually on like memorial day etc.

I think overall I will be fine.

I will make sure the CSR notes all in the notes and I will ask for the local area's info and speak and make sure clear instructions are directed.

#8 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

the main reason for the pole is becuse its alot easier if you need to clean it, due to snow, ice or whatever.

I live in Philadelphia, they now live in south jersey

the snow storm in 2010 and 2011 where insane, and I think were going to get slammed this year. I also hope the pole does well against noreasters when the wind gets really crazy.

I'll make sure to include a warranty program or something that replaces wires and equipment or some insurance

Protected By... spam firewall...And...