Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can DirecTV use exisiting mounting bracket?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

We are seriously considering the move to DirecTV after eight years of being satisfied Dish customers. The reason for this is the AMC/IFC dispute. The VOOM litigation looks like it is going to drag on, and we watch a lot of programming on both of these channels. IMO, Dish doesn't care that AMC et al. is gone, and AMC doesn't care that they "lost" Dish. One program I can live w/o (already missing Hell On Wheels), but these stations carry a lot that we watch. Cable is much more $$$$, and their DVR's are rumored not to be very good, so that is out.

Maybe there is not a "pat" answer, but can DTV use the existing cables and mounting bracket? My husband doesn't like the idea of drilling more holes in the roof and repairing the existing shingles. Also, a hole was drilled through the brick for the cables from the dish to enter the house. Can the "new" dish from DTV just be hooked up to those cables?

CS from DTV cannot answer the question; they just want to "sign me up" and worry about it later. I called a few times and the reps were very hard to understand, as English was not their first language. They also could not telll me who my local installer was so I could call them directly (no pun intended :P). Trying to Google that info was fruitless; you just get sales reps anywhere trying to sell you.

We only have two TV's, a large HD and a smaller SD in an exercise room. I do understand that I would need an HD receiver on both TV's to access DVR content on both. Our "requirements" are a DVR, and the premium cable stations. (EPIX is not on DTV, I know.) As we are not sports fans, Dish was chosen initially b/c of a slight price difference. Love the DVR 722!

Only we can decide if it is worth the hassle to switch, and lose the DVR content we have. I can live with that, but wasn't sure what is involved with the physical placement of the dish. I also have read that you won't know what receiver you're getting until the installer comes. On the other hand (different fingers :D), subscribers of DTV on this forum seem very satisfied.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Directv masts are two inches, Dish uses one and five-eighths. Some folks might put an adapter on, not reccomended. Being a dish customer you should spring for an HR34 and C31 if available if not wait. The C31 can pause live tv which you are likley used to doing, an H series receiver cant.

The cable can most likey be reused.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

As samrs stated, you should have a new mount installed for the DirecTV dish. All your cabling should be fine to use as long as it is all home runs (all cables go back to a central point and no splitters are used).

I would also second the recommendation for the HR34. That will give you 5 tuners to use for recording. For the second TV, if available, I would go for the C31 as well. That will give you DVR capabilities on the second TV without the need for a DVR as you grab a tuner from the HR34 to use when you need it.

If the C31 is not available, I would just get a HD receiver for the second TV. When the installer arrives, see if they have a H25 available (and if not, ask for a H24). Those are the two newest HD receivers and are very fast. While you will not be able to pause/FF/RW Live TV with the HD receiver, you can playback recordings from the HR34 and can also tell it to record shows on the HR34 while at the TV with the HD receiver.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 153 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Directv masts are two inches, Dish uses one and five-eighths. Some folks might put an adapter on, not reccomended. Being a dish customer you should spring for an HR34 and C31 if available if not wait. The C31 can pause live tv which you are likley used to doing, an H series receiver cant.

The cable can most likey be reused.

+1 on the HR34. I'd be hesitant on the C31 on an SD tv as the only outputs offered are HDMI, s-video and digital audio output - you'd need some type of converter to connect it.

I would think as long as the cable is in good condition, the installer would have no issues reusing it. When we installed our D*, we reused a lot of the existing cabling to get to our TVs - these were older cable runs that were used for our cable TV service. The only new cable that was added was the one to the dish.

As for the mast - I'm assuming samrs info is correct and can't provide much further info. I haven't compared the "feet" of the dish mount to the directv mount, but it's possible if the holes line up you could just swap the mount and re-seal with a weather-proofing compound.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

+1 on the HR34. I'd be hesitant on the C31 on an SD tv as the only outputs offered are HDMI, s-video and digital audio output - you'd need some type of converter to connect it.

I would think as long as the cable is in good condition, the installer would have no issues reusing it. When we installed our D*, we reused a lot of the existing cabling to get to our TVs - these were older cable runs that were used for our cable TV service. The only new cable that was added was the one to the dish.

As for the mast - I'm assuming samrs info is correct and can't provide much further info. I haven't compared the "feet" of the dish mount to the directv mount, but it's possible if the holes line up you could just swap the mount and re-seal with a weather-proofing compound.

Good point. I missed that on the second TV being SD. In order to use the C31 or H25, you need a special cable for the A/V output (it is not a S-video output). I believe there is a version for RCA connections, but am not totally sure on that.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

H25 has an output for composite to an HD set. The adapter is required if you want to output component. The other limitation on H25 is the lack of VOD, unless started from the HR34.

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good point. I missed that on the second TV being SD. In order to use the C31 or H25, you need a special cable for the A/V output (it is not a S-video output). I believe there is a version for RCA connections, but am not totally sure on that.

- Merg

You said that so politely. We were told there is a version for RCA, I haven't installed a C31 so haven't asked about cables. There better be though because it shouldn't be long before the new customer offer changes. A lot of folks still have sd tv's.

I think I'll check on those cables tomorrow.

Edited by samrs, 27 September 2012 - 04:08 PM.
;)

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Unfortuately the footprint is different, larger. Removing the base would leave holes in the roof and rip off the shingles if the base was properly installed. If the line of site is good the mast and dish are removed. The new mast either a stubby with six lags or an original with ten can be installed above or below and the same wire used.

Go with the HR34 and C31 a former dish customer would be more content with that combination. Dont worry about your roof.:)

#9 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

You said that so politely. We were told there is a version for RCA, I haven't installed a C31 so haven't asked about cables. There better be though because it shouldn't be long before the new customer offer changes. A lot of folks still have sd tv's.

I think I'll check on those cables tomorrow.

There is a RCA adapter for the C31, I know cause I have it in my van....

#10 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

I have an H25 connected to an analog set using rca cables. Yellow, red, and white. The H25 does allow for that.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#11 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Unfortuately the footprint is different, larger. Removing the base would leave holes in the roof and rip off the shingles if the base was properly installed. If the line of site is good the mast and dish are removed. The new mast either a stubby with six lags or an original with ten can be installed above or below and the same wire used.

Go with the HR34 and C31 a former dish customer would be more content with that combination. Dont worry about your roof.:)

Why does it have to go on the roof for? If a customer tells me they dont want it on the roof I dont put the dish there... I either use a clamp or a rafter mount. I do understand that contractors dont care where the dish goes but still its mess up what they do to customers house, then an in house tech like me has to go and fix it.

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Why does it have to go on the roof for? If a customer tells me they don't want it on the roof I don't put the dish there... I either use a clamp or a rafter mount. I do understand that contractors don't care where the dish goes but still its mess up what they do to customers house, then an in house tech like me has to go and fix it.

Read the original post, Cuz.

I am not opposed to pole mounts, its what I prefer. Within reason.

I am inhouse for an HSP(just below my username).

Mounts vary from coast to coast depending on construction, the same as look angles. Grasshopper.:)

#13 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

:bowdown: This is why I really enjoy this forum. The wealth of knowledge here and willingness to help is unsurpassed. Multiple replies were greatly appreciated. My hunch was correct that the "footprint" of the DTV mounting bracket was different, but I neede to hear it from the experts here. :D

I did forget to mention that we have our computer at work, and cannot stream or use a Roku box at home. So that is why we were contemplating the move to DTV. Our current dish is on the back of the house (out of sight from the road, the way the neighbors like it) and the deck/patio in the back makes a pole mount inconvenient. And my husband really doesn't like the idea of patching the roof and shingles, (and remounting another dish) so I'm not sure what we'll do now. :confused:

Thanks for the additonal info on the receivers; I really don't like that DTV won't give me info on which ones we would get. We do pause live TV at times. also. Switching seems like such a PIA. Another possibility is to leave the existing Dish there in case we switch back, but Jerry (and I) don't really like the idea of that, as we live in very "fussy" neighborhood. Oh, and the "line of sight" is excellent - no obstructions.

Thanks again for all of the info. I've learned so much here!

Edited by joyandjerry, 28 September 2012 - 01:14 PM.
add info

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

... Our current dish is on the back of the house (out of sight from the road, the way the neighbors like it) and the deck/patio in the back makes a pole mount inconvenient. And my husband really doesn't like the idea of patching the roof and shingles, (and remounting another dish) so I'm not sure what we'll do now....

Would a pole mount be possible if you had it close to the ground?
Having it near the ground makes it convenient to clear off snow buildup.

I'm also thinking that the pole adapter for the existing mount might work as long as the external supports are also used? Is it possible that the Dish mount is also 2" OD as I think some of their new dishes use that?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

:bowdown: This is why I realy enjoy this forum. The wealth of knowledge here and willingness to help is unsurpassed. Multiple replies were greatly appreciated. My hunch was correct that the "footprint" of the DTV mounting bracket was different, but I neede to hear it from the experts here. :D

I did forget to mention that we have our computer at work, and cannot stream or use a Roku box at home. So that is why we were contemplating the move to DTV. Our current dish is on the back of the house (out of sight from the road, the way the neighbors like it) and the deck/patio in the back makes a pole mount inconvenient. And my husband really doesn't like the idea of patching the roof and shingles, (and remounting another dish) so I'm not sure what we'll do now. :confused:

Thanks for the additonal info on the receivers; I really don't like that DTV won't give me info on which ones we would get. We do pause live TV at times. also. Switching seems like such a PIA. Another possibility is to leave the existing Dish there in case we switch back, but Jerry (and I) don't really like the idea of that, as we live in very "fussy" neighborhood. Oh, and the "line of sight" is excellent - no obstructions.

Thanks again for all of the info. I've learned so much here!

With regard to the dish, when the old dish is removed, the base should be left on the roof. With that there, there is no need to do any patching. And you wouldn't need to mount the new dish, the installer should do that for you.

With regard to the receivers you would receive, you can only specifiy that you want a HD-DVR or a HD receiver. Whatever the tech has on their truck is what is available to you. The main exception is the HR34 as there is only one 5-tuner DVR and if you get the RVU client, the only one is the C31, although it is not available in all markets yet.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Why does it have to go on the roof for? If a customer tells me they dont want it on the roof I dont put the dish there... I either use a clamp or a rafter mount. I do understand that contractors dont care where the dish goes but still its mess up what they do to customers house, then an in house tech like me has to go and fix it.

wow been here a whole 20 days and you are running down contractors already????? Inhouse techs dont do roofmounts anymore ?? please inform us all when that started.

#17 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

wow been here a whole 20 days and you are running down contractors already????? Inhouse techs dont do roofmounts anymore ?? please inform us all when that started.

Is not that they dont do roof mounts anymore. How would you like it if you just bought a brand new house and we start drilling on your brand new roof. What I have been told by the home builders is that it voids the home owners warranty on their brand new roof, so I dont do it, why I rather do clamps or rafter mounts. The contractors is a whole different story, I have had bad experience when I go back behind them. Roof trows come to mind.

#18 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

I give the customer the choice of roof mount or clamp, pole or rafter.. 9 out of 10 customers preferred not to drill on their roof. Does not matter if its a brand new house or an older home.

#19 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I give the customer the choice of roof mount or clamp, pole or rafter.. 9 out of 10 customers preferred not to drill on their roof. Does not matter if its a brand new house or an older home.

You should also give them a choice as to whether they want you to do their installation, or a technician that actually makes sense do their installation. Id bet your completion metrics would take a nosedive......

#20 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

You should also give them a choice as to whether they want you to do their installation, or a technician that actually makes sense do their installation. Id bet your completion metrics would take a nosedive......

Not going to go back and forth with you on this.. sometimes a customers roof is not the best place for a dish, thats all I'm trying to get across. In the end they appreciate that I was honest with them. I even do wall fishes for them for free because at the end of the day the customer comes first.

spam firewall