Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Said to Be in Talks With Viacom About Internet TV

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

http://www.bloomberg...nternet-tv.html

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

http://www.bloomberg...nternet-tv.html

hmm.. Interesting.. Sounds like Dish is really forward thinking these days.. Nice to see..

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

hmm.. Interesting.. Sounds like Dish is really forward thinking these days.. Nice to see..

Well it would probably be shortsighted to think they'll survive forever just by relying on sticking dishes on people's roofs, so yeah it's good to see that they do seem to be always exploring other options.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm not sure internet TV will replace the other systems anytime but soon, but I have always believed it is destined to be a player. The alliance Dish started with Sling, the buying of BB, DishOnline service and this Glenn Beck deal, all internet connected.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

And something else to add into the mix?

Dish Network Eyes Web TV — And Invests in Roku’s Web TV Box

http://allthingsd.co...kus-web-tv-box/

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

And something else to add into the mix?

Dish Network Eyes Web TV — And Invests in Roku’s Web TV Box

http://allthingsd.co...kus-web-tv-box/

Smart move!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, TV providers and networks face an interesting future. I saw some study results later that showed younger viewers watch a very high percentage of their "TV" viewing via online sources, much higher than older viewers. So the future (as poor as most of us are at predicting that!) seems to be skewed towards online sourcing. But who the heck knows what that will look like.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, TV providers and networks face an interesting future. I saw some study results later that showed younger viewers watch a very high percentage of their "TV" viewing via online sources, much higher than older viewers. So the future (as poor as most of us are at predicting that!) seems to be skewed towards online sourcing. But who the heck knows what that will look like.

Well said.

#9 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen, who co-founded the company, has said there will be a day when a pay-TV operator chooses not to include sports in order to charge $10 to $20 per month less than competitors.

“My mom doesn’t watch sports,” Ergen said during a conference call last month. “I’ve got neighbors who don’t want sports. I’ve got friends who go to the bars or the neighbors’ house to watch sports.”

Sorry sports lovers

#10 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Just read that bloomberg article.

The CEO of TWC sounds like a real jerk. Totally inappropriate remark about"old people".

Shame on someone who's suppose to be "educated"...........:nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Just read that bloomberg article.

The CEO of TWC sounds like a real jerk. Totally inappropriate remark about"old people".

Shame on someone who's suppose to be "educated"...........:nono2:

I'm one of those "old people." We watched the debates on PBS via Dish, which was the first time we have used our 722 in several weeks. We have two Roku's and two iPads in the house and watch Netflix almost exclusively. I do not miss the ads at all :welcome:

#12 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Good for you!

It just burns me when some CEO makes such a stupid remark.

I would venture a guess that a large majority of his customer base are "old people". [ who probably pay their cable bill on time]

One day he will fall into that catagory.

Karma.

#13 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Sorry sports lovers

Hey, I'm sure DirectTV would love for Dish to drop all sports coverage, since Ergan's mom doesn't watch sports. I bet his mom doesn't watch a lot of cutting edge shows either. She probably didn't care for Walking Dead or Mad Men either. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

That would be great! Would be a nice "replacement" to taking away BB. I use Amazon streaming all the time through my Panny 60ST50 TV. It would be nice to use it on the other 2 TV's in the house.

#15 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hey, I'm sure DirectTV would love for Dish to drop all sports coverage, since Ergan's mom doesn't watch sports. I bet his mom doesn't watch a lot of cutting edge shows either. She probably didn't care for Walking Dead or Mad Men either. ;)

I am not sure if you are kidding, but the implication is a lot of people's moms don't watch sports, implying that a lot of other people don't watch sports, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Sorry sports lovers

That's fine with me.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I am not sure if you are kidding, but the implication is a lot of people's moms don't watch sports, implying that a lot of other people don't watch sports, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I was slightly tongue in cheek. But a lot of people's moms don't watch How I Met Your Mother and similar network comedies, which implies of lot of other people don't watch them, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I'm guessing your average viewer regularly watches less than a third of the channels they get from Dish (pulled that number purely out of the air, just a guess.) Ergen, in almost every interview I read in business outlets, sounds like one of those super-rich arrogant CEOs that I hate seeing in a position to impact me in any way. ;)

But it was not a joke, I am sure DirectTV would love it if Dish dropped all sports.

#18 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I was slightly tongue in cheek. But a lot of people's moms don't watch How I Met Your Mother and similar network comedies, which implies of lot of other people don't watch them, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I'm guessing your average viewer regularly watches less than a third of the channels they get from Dish (pulled that number purely out of the air, just a guess.) Ergen, in almost every interview I read in business outlets, sounds like one of those super-rich arrogant CEOs that I hate seeing in a position to impact me in any way. ;)

But it was not a joke, I am sure DirectTV would love it if Dish dropped all sports.

fud,
they'd probably wet themselves, but ergen knows this. I would be totally amazed if he ever did this. Too many sports people in the viewing base, he wouldn't take the hit in revenue stream.

#19 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

fud,
they'd probably wet themselves, but ergen knows this. I would be totally amazed if he ever did this. Too many sports people in the viewing base, he wouldn't take the hit in revenue stream.

Oh, yeah, in spite of my lack of admiration for the guy, he's not that stupid. He just sometimes makes stupid comments. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...