Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-34 Low volume output over HDMI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

I hope i dont get flamed for this thread. I looked through similar threads but didnt recall anything recent

But i have the following connected to Denon 4311ci

HR34 ***
HR24
HR22
HR20

The HR34 audio output has to be at -20db compared to all other 7 hdmi inputs at -32db. significant level difference in volume.

Before anyone asks ive checked the denon digital audio gain levels over hdmi. they are all set equal.

Am I imagining this issue, or has it come up recently with the HR34, on national release firmware.???

I dont know if a microproccesor reset is in order for the Denon or the a reset for the HR34. any help appreciated.

Edited by nc88keyz, 27 September 2012 - 07:01 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

20 dB is a really large increase in volume. 10 db is a doubling of volume. A 20 dB difference is going from an office to a symphony orchestra playing at full volume, or from a residential street to one downtown with traffic. Are you sure it's a 20 dB difference?

And don't believe numbers on volume controls. They lie.

That said, I have experienced lower volume from my HR34 than other pieces. I haven't put a number on it. My gut says 6-8 dB, which is what I'd call a significant volume differnce. It's very noticeable.

I'll play around and let you know.

EDIT: You have all four of those DVRS hooked into your Denon through HDMI? I want to make sure that's the case. Plus they are all set on Dolby Digital, I'd assume?

Edited by Carl Spock, 27 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

at first I told my wife she was hearing things. or "not" hear things, in my implication it was the HR34 volume.

Anyways, that didnt go so well. so i began to check different settings.

Turns out I found the issue.

After double making sure linked volume was not chaning from input to input, i noticed that when i was switching inputs on the Denon display. Dyn + 3 +4 or something was showing up.

Culprit: Denon/ AVR Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, (Day Midnight Evening)

Once i turned it off on three of the other inputs they were all virtually identical. I raised the gain just a little ( my preference) on the digital signal input to +5 and they are all equal accross all four inputs.

I feel like a bit of an idiot since I am an audio/videophile in the worst way.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my follies.

I will be sure to edit title to SOLVED!

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Don't feel bad. Happens to us all. I once auditioned a system for an evening just to find out it was in mono.

Glad you solved the problem.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall