Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Elementary

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Dr. Watson being a Mets fan, made my night.

Edited by Drucifer, 28 September 2012 - 03:05 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Recorded the episode. Hope to watch it later today.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

This looks good, mostly because of Lucy Liu, but I'm going to wait and start watching later. Maybe even until the TV season is over, if it gets a 2nd season.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Lucy Liu as Dr. Watson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle must be spinning in his grave.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Using deductive logic, I have arrived at the conclusion that the title of this thread is misspelled.

It is "Elementary", my dear Watson.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'd be much more interested if it had been the other way around - a brilliant but dysfunctional female Holmes and a loyal male Dr. Watson who struggles to keep up with his smarter mentor.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Using deductive logic, I have arrived at the conclusion that the title of this thread is misspelled.

It is "Elementary", my dear Watson.

Too bad Watson isn't the Thread Starter. :P
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

This looks good, mostly because of Lucy Liu, but I'm going to wait and start watching later. Maybe even until the TV season is over, if it gets a 2nd season.

She truly was the only reason I would even think of watching, but even she is getting old.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

I was surprise by her performance. It was decent for a change.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

She truly was the only reason I would even think of watching, but even she is getting old.

Oh, jeez! Give me (and Lucy) a break! Don't even go there -- Lucy is still a 'hot chick' and I would welcome her into my life, such as it is. :confused:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Deductive reasoning reveals this will be a short lived series. I really wanted this one to be over quickly. If I didn't have my attention diverted by two football games I would have turned off the TV at the 15 minute mark. CBS has produced a number of hits in this time slot - this isn't one of them!

Once the initial production run is complete then bye bye!

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Watched it, liked it, but something tells me it may not last long.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Watched it last night and loved it.

Jonny has a way of portraying his character that gives it believability and panache.

Lucy does a very good job with her character as well, although I think any competent actress could have done a similar job. Her days as Ling Woo are long gone so my guess is that she was probably cast to draw in an initial audience out of curiosity.

Will it last? I don't know ... but then again, I'm one of those who enjoyed the hell out of Human Target ... and you know where that got me.

I hope it does.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh, jeez! Give me (and Lucy) a break! Don't even go there -- Lucy is still a 'hot chick' and I would welcome her into my life, such as it is. :confused:

Oh, I still think she is attractive. I am just Lucy Lui'ed out. Between her and Grace Park, can a guy get a new Asian chick actress.

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Oh, I still think she is attractive. I am just Lucy Lui'ed out. Between her and Grace Park, can a guy get a new Asian chick actress.

We need Kelly Hu back on TV. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Will give it a chance but it seemed to me like Monk, psych, mentalist and perception all rolled into one but on super fast forward.

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Will give it a chance but it seemed to me like Monk, psych, mentalist and perception all rolled into one but on super fast forward.

Watched it tonight and was pleasantly surprised, it was better than I expected. But as CJ notes, it's so similar to many other current shows that people may not stay interested. Besides, CBS needs to come up with a drama that's different than CSI/NCIS, etc, etc. After awhile, they all start to sound the same.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#18 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

I am a big fan of the BBC show Sherlock. It's only run about 6 episodes so far but is, as the Brits say, Brilliant.

As in Elementary, Sherlock has a manic type personality with the underlying addiction. Watson is a messed up Doctor with issues but is deep down stable and tough.

Elementary seems to be concentrating a bit on Watson rather than Holmes.

I liked Elementary, but it is only about half as good as BBCs Sherlock. ...and how can Sherlock NOT live on 221B Baker Street?

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

For Elementary to succeed, IMHO, we'll need a good "back story" villain, like Mentalist has with Jane vs. Red John. I guess Moriarty's the obvious choice, if they can work him into the story.

I am a big fan of the BBC show Sherlock. It's only run about 6 episodes so far but is, as the Brits say, Brilliant.

+1. I pretty much have all the Sherlocks on DVD, dating back to Ronald Howard and Basil Rathbone. Up until now, the Granada series with Jeremy Brett has been my favorite, but Cumberbatch is giving him a run for the money. And the show's writers have done a masterful job bringing him into the 21st century. I'm really enjoying those.

OT, but PBS's Masterpiece Mystery is really an embarrassment of riches, IMHO. Morse, Lewis, Wallander, Foyle, Holmes, Poirot, Marple. I think I look forward to those as much (or more) as anything else I watch on TV.
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

For OT, but PBS's [I]Masterpiece Mystery is really an embarrassment of riches, IMHO. Morse, Lewis, Wallander, Foyle, Holmes, Poirot, Marple. I think I look forward to those as much (or more) as anything else I watch on TV.

Every one a winner. Other great British shows are MI-5 and Frost. I have watched all that is available on Netflix and I am in total withdrawal. Wallander is a real winner in my book.

The biggest question I have is could Elementary sustain a large audience without the Sherlock and Watson names. I think they are betting that this gives the show instant credibility.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...