Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Elementary

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

OT, but PBS's Masterpiece Mystery is really an embarrassment of riches, IMHO. Morse, Lewis, Wallander, Foyle, Holmes, Poirot, Marple. I think I look forward to those as much (or more) as anything else I watch on TV.

On the OT front, PBS edits Masterpiece Mystery and cuts scenes, so when possible, go to Netflix or get the DVDs!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Dr. Watson being a Mets fan, made my night.

I thought that both of the main characters were supposed to be very smart people. What happened? :D:lol:

All kidding aside...this could be a good "keeper" show.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Me and Mrs. R really liked it. The Mets fan bit at the end made me giggle...because I...

am one. Sigh.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#24 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Will give it a chance but it seemed to me like Monk, psych, mentalist and perception all rolled into one but on super fast forward.

+1

Given the number of those better shows, this one adds almost nothing more to the mix. I was quit unimpressed, especially since Watson found the clue that solved the mystery. I don't recall that ever happening in the Doyle books.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#25 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Come on, really how hard is it to deduce that the Mets will lose???
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

!rolling!rolling!rolling
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Elementary indeed. :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

I thought episode 2 was better than the pilot, with the mystery more Holmes-like. The only weak point was the forced and clumsy scene at the AA meeting.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Oh come on, the histrionic scene in the hospital room was worse than the one at the AA meeting.
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#30 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Will give it a chance but it seemed to me like Monk, psych, mentalist and perception all rolled into one but on super fast forward.

+1

Wife and I had the same conclusion at first commercial.

Still, we'll stick with it for a while and see where it goes. Series usually take at least four or five episodes to get a good read.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#31 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,755 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

CBS Gives Full Season Orders to Television's #1 and #2 New Series - "Vegas" and "Elementary"

SOURCE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#32 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

CBS Gives Full Season Orders to Television's #1 and #2 New Series - "Vegas" and "Elementary"

SOURCE

From that one would have to deduce that some of the naysayers here must have very sore &&&holes, from having to pull so much stuff that huge out of them.

First, I like both shows very much and for a number of reasons. I am hardly surprised by the pickups.

Second, all TV is derivative, with the possible exceptions of Star Trek and Fringe. Get over it. There isn't a cop procedural or private detective show, book, or movie out there that doesn't owe something to Arthur Conan Doyle, just like there isn't a building built today that doesn't owe something to Frank Lloyd Wright.

Elementary is highly derivative, by definition. How could it not be? I think we all knew that going in. It takes balls to even attempt this. They pulled it off in spite of all of that. Period.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#33 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I am not the least surprised about Elementary. It has had consistently high ratings, despite as TomCat has said, being derivative. :) But Vegas, which I actually like MORE than Elementary has been getting relatively poor ratings and sources like TVBYTHENUMBERS had is listed as likely to be cancelled. I am surprised that it was given the full season, pleasantly surprised.

I assumed The Mob Doctor was done for, but I was wrong about that too. Not doing too well with my predictions this year I guess. Beauty and the Beast was on my cancellation list too.
Luke

#34 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

From that one would have to deduce that some of the naysayers here must have very sore &&&holes, from having to pull so much stuff that huge out of them.

First, I like both shows very much and for a number of reasons. I am hardly surprised by the pickups.

Second, all TV is derivative, with the possible exceptions of Star Trek and Fringe. Get over it. There isn't a cop procedural or private detective show, book, or movie out there that doesn't owe something to Arthur Conan Doyle, just like there isn't a building built today that doesn't owe something to Frank Lloyd Wright.

Elementary is highly derivative, by definition. How could it not be? I think we all knew that going in. It takes balls to even attempt this. They pulled it off in spite of all of that. Period.

I watch Elementary a lot, but other than being named Holmes, speaking with a British accent and saying things like "...elementary my dear Watson...", I think the derivations stop there. Any crime investigator worth his/her salt can "deduce" the details of a crime. I love what Mr. Doyle did with his character, but that didn't give him exclusive rights to common sense or to the powers of observation.

I would also think we owe just a little bit more to Mr. Carnegie than we do Mr. Wright when it comes to buildings.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#35 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I wonder when they will do "Hounds of Baskerville" episode. The attempt to do that story on the BBC show Sherlock was horrid.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#36 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I wonder when they will do "Hounds of Baskerville" episode. The attempt to do that story on the BBC show Sherlock was horrid.

If that happens, then I will have to shake my head and agree with TomCat. :nono2:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#37 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just because you enjoy a show and others don't doesn't require the hurling of insults. Yes, ratings for Elementary are good, and I was one of the estimated 10.75 million viewers last Thursday. But from that number you might also deduce that roughly 300 million Americans didn't bother to watch.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#38 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

I watch Elementary a lot, but other than being named Holmes, speaking with a British accent and saying things like "...elementary my dear Watson...", I think the derivations stop there...

You watch it a lot, do you? I've seen them all and they have never been so crass as to even approach using that phrase or anything close to it, so it is doubtful that you have any idea what you are talking about. Were they to do that, they would be the first show to actually be "laughed" off of television since Cop Rock. This is the same exact reason why Arrow, which is based on Green Arrow from DC comics, has never metioned the word "green". No one would dare to be that "on the nose".

I would also think we owe just a little bit more to Mr. Carnegie than we do Mr. Wright when it comes to buildings.

Actually we owe more to the Greeks than either of these, but I'm a little startled that the name Carnegie was mentioned. The two most famous Carnegies, Andrew and Dale, were an industrialist/philathropist and a public speaking guru. Neither of them seem to have ever drawn a blueprint or conceptualized a building, and neither is known for architecture. Both may be seminally influential, but not in anything connected to architecture, other than Carnegie Mellon has one of the premiere Architecture Schools. But lots of prestigious Ivy League schools have respected architecture divisions, and that is just one division of Carnegie Mellon.

But assuming that the mind of Andrew Carnegie was seminally influential to architecture is like assuming that the mind of Mitt Romney is seminally influential to car elevators. Just like the only connection Mitt Romney has to car elevators is that he bought one, Carnegie's connection to architecture is that he had a gazillion bucks and seeded this venture financially, as well as libraries, museums (some with impressive architecture collections) and loads of other things.

Architecture is a footnote in his career, and not directly and only by default. He was not one, and those who finance schools are not necessarily, and not at all in this case, seminally influential in the courses or students, or their creations, that arise from their philanthropy.

FLW, on the other hand, has been studied extensively by every architect born since he died in 1959, and is covered extensively in every architecture program in the world including the one at Carnegie Mellon. His structures have influenced every architect born in the last 100 years, and either directly or indirectly, every building built in the last 75. Rather than simply give money to schools and libraries he possessed the mind that came up with all of the now-standard ways of doing things. Other than being famous, there is not much at all that both men had in common, and it seems pretty much a stretch to compare them to each other directly in FLW's wheelhouse.

FLW was as much of a genius as you can ever find, and he makes Steve Jobs look like a piker by comparison. Carnegie was simply the bank. It does not require genius or an ability to be seminally influential if your outstanding attributes are that you are simply rich and lucky.

Maybe I was sick that school day, or asleep, but if not Andrew Carnegie I have no earthly idea what Carnegie you are talking about. If we were playing Password and the clue was "architect", what would your answer be? Carnegie? or FLW? Maybe that goes back to the original problem pointed out above in my response to the first quote.

Edited by TomCat, 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#39 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

You watch it a lot, do you? I've seen them all and they have never been so crass as to even approach using that phrase or anything close to it, so it is doubtful that you have any idea what you are talking about. Were they to do that, they would be the first show to actually be "laughed" off of television since Cop Rock. This is the same exact reason why Arrow, which is based on Green Arrow from DC comics, has never metioned the word "green". No one would dare to be that "on the nose".

Actually we owe more to the Greeks than either of these, but I'm a little startled that the name Carnegie was mentioned. The two most famous Carnegies, Andrew and Dale, were an industrialist/philathropist and a public speaking guru. Neither of them seem to have ever drawn a blueprint or conceptualized a building, and neither is known for architecture. Both may be seminally influential, but not in anything connected to architecture, other than Carnegie Mellon has one of the premiere Architecture Schools. But lots of prestigious Ivy League schools have respected architecture divisions, and that is just one division of Carnegie Mellon.

But assuming that the mind of Andrew Carnegie was seminally influential to architecture is like assuming that the mind of Mitt Romney is seminally influential to car elevators. Just like the only connection Mitt Romney has to car elevators is that he bought one, Carnegie's connection to architecture is that he had a gazillion bucks and seeded this venture financially, as well as libraries, museums (some with impressive architecture collections) and loads of other things.

Architecture is a footnote in his career, and not directly and only by default. He was not one, and those who finance schools are not necessarily, and not at all in this case, seminally influential in the courses or students, or their creations, that arise from their philanthropy.

FLW, on the other hand, has been studied extensively by every architect born since he died in 1959, and is covered extensively in every architecture program in the world including the one at Carnegie Mellon. His structures have influenced every architect born in the last 100 years, and either directly or indirectly, every building built in the last 75. Rather than simply give money to schools and libraries he possessed the mind that came up with all of the now-standard ways of doing things. Other than being famous, there is not much at all that both men had in common, and it seems pretty much a stretch to compare them to each other directly in FLW's wheelhouse.

FLW was as much of a genius as you can ever find, and he makes Steve Jobs look like a piker by comparison. Carnegie was simply the bank. It does not require genius or an ability to be seminally influential if your outstanding attributes are that you are simply rich and lucky.

Maybe I was sick that school day, or asleep, but if not Andrew Carnegie I have no earthly idea what Carnegie you are talking about. If we were playing Password and the clue was "architect", what would your answer be? Carnegie? or FLW? Maybe that goes back to the original problem pointed out above in my response to the first quote.

Actually, Sherlock never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" either. :P

OTOH, Andrew Carnegie built the steel industry. Mr. Wright would be hard pressed to construct a cantilever without it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#40 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Actually, Sherlock never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" either. :P

OTOH, Andrew Carnegie built the steel industry. Mr. Wright would be hard pressed to construct a cantilever without it.

However Holmes did say
"Elementary" and "... my dear Watson" in "The Crooked Man". William Gillette first uttered the now famous quote in the play he wrote and starred in as Sherlock Holmes.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

spam firewall