Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver monthly fees compared to HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Is the mirror/lease fee the same for receiver-only (H-series) as for a DVR (HR-series)? I have 5 DVRs, which to many people besides me seems like overkill. Wondering if I would save money if I replaced a couple DVRs with Hs or the new C31s or whatever they're called.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Same fee, so nope
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

The big benefit for DirecTV is that the DVR fee is per account.

As for the number of DVR's you're among friends here. There are members that have 12 DVRs or more.

#4 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just so I'm clear, I LIKE having 5 DVRs. Lots of flexibility for scheduling sports recordings. I don't think the Hopper system would work for our family or the HR34. What would make life perfect is one unified To Do List.

VOS: hey, I thought I'd give you an update. I replaced my SWM-8 with a SWM-16 and replaced 2 of the SAT coax connectors. WH networking has been working flawlessly since. Also replaced that flaky HR24, although I have to admit that for a week after I ordered its replacement, the @%! worked perfectly and never rebooted as far as I knew. Getting ready to send it back. Thanks for your help.

#5 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

I just wish there was going to be a near future download that would allow you to choose which DVR to record to, instead of running around the house to each DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

I just wish there was going to be a near future download that would allow you to choose which DVR to record to, instead of running around the house to each DVR.

You can do that from a H2x, but not the DVRs.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

You can do that from a H2x, but not the DVRs.

I know, I just wish the DVR's had that function as well. Would help a lot for those of us with multiple DVR's.

#8 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

I got an H23 just for that purpose but the guide only goes out 6 days so I started using a laptop and setting up recordings through the web site.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Is the mirror/lease fee the same for receiver-only (H-series) as for a DVR (HR-series)? I have 5 DVRs, which to many people besides me seems like overkill. Wondering if I would save money if I replaced a couple DVRs with Hs or the new C31s or whatever they're called.

Overkill? I don't think so.... :lol:

I've never understood the reasoning behind folks using receivers rather than DVRs. But, that's just me and my opinion. And my twelve HRs. It doesn't take a lot of running around to program multiple HRs.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I know, I just wish the DVR's had that function as well. Would help a lot for those of us with multiple DVR's.

Would be nice, would be nice to have a United ToDo List, too. Would be nice to have a ToDo list you could access without going thru so many steps. Would be nice if D* cared enough to grant every HR within an account the ability to play any content on any HDD within an account. Would be nice if these things we've asked for so many times happened. Instead of the other new things that keep popping up.

All pie-in-the-sky.... :nono2:

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Would be nice, would be nice to have a United ToDo List, too. Would be nice to have a ToDo list you could access without going thru so many steps. Would be nice if D* cared enough to grant every HR within an account the ability to play any content on any HDD within an account. Would be nice if these things we've asked for so many times happened. Instead of the other new things that keep popping up.

All pie-in-the-sky.... :nono2:

Rich

I think the direction DirecTV is taking is a large server instead. The HR34 "type" seems to be this.
"Maybe" way down the road, these servers will "talk to each other" too.

Having made the move from several DVRs and receivers, to the server client system, "it different", as everything is "just one big DVR".
Bigger will be better. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think the direction DirecTV is taking is a large server instead. The HR34 "type" seems to be this.
"Maybe" way down the road, these servers will "talk to each other" too.

Having made the move from several DVRs and receivers, to the server client system, "it different", as everything is "just one big DVR".
Bigger will be better. :lol:

I like the server client model. I've solved the problem of losing recordings if an HR fails (in a rather draconian style), but I'd still like to see the recordings within an account be readable by any of the HRs within an account. I could drop four HRs if they enabled that.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

I like the server client model. I've solved the problem of losing recordings if an HR fails (in a rather draconian style), but I'd still like to see the recordings within an account be readable by any of the HRs within an account. I could drop four HRs if they enabled that.

Rich

I couldn't find the quote, "but" it went something like: Support for drive sizes larger than you can buy. :lol:
Not sure what the limit for a RAID would be.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've never understood the reasoning behind folks using receivers rather than DVRs.

Nor I, if for nothing more than pausing live TV. I had a receiver in my bedroom for years. I kept hitting the rewind button and be frustrated when nothing happened. Now I have a DVR in its place, like God meant it to be.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Nor I, if for nothing more than pausing live TV. I had a receiver in my bedroom for years. I kept hitting the rewind button and be frustrated when nothing happened. I now have a DVR in its place, like God meant it to be.

My C31 does the same thing. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

God bless you, vos, and your C31. Posted Image

Posted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...