Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and 4TB External Drive

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Curious if anyone has tried a 4TB (Western Digital WD4000FYYZ) external drive with the new HR34 software (which I think may allow greater than 2tb?)....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Curious if anyone has tried a 4TB (Western Digital WD4000FYYZ) external drive with the new HR34 software (which I think may allow greater than 2tb?)....

I'm not using that specific drive but I'm running a 9TB RAID 5 array using the enclosure below. Works great, no problems.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o06_s00_i00

This is the drive I'm using:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=seagate 3TB
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thx for the info...like the simplicity of slapping a giant drive in an enclosure (understanding the risk of losing all your shows if it fails...no redundancy)

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thx for the info...like the simplicity of slapping a giant drive in an enclosure (understanding the risk of losing all your shows if it fails...no redundancy)

You could also get this enclosure and a pair of 3TB drives. Set it up as RAID 1 and not lose recordings unless the HR34 itself dies.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

You could also get this enclosure and a pair of 3TB drives. Set it up as RAID 1 and not lose recordings unless the HR34 itself dies.

That's the problem that needs fixing, not just on the 34, but on the rest of the HR lineup. All we need is the ability to have any HR within an account be able to read any HDD with content recorded by HRs within the same account.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

That's the problem that needs fixing, not just on the 34, but on the rest of the HR lineup. All we need is the ability to have any HR within an account be able to read any HDD with content recorded by HRs within the same account.

Rich

Agreed
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Rich

Amen.

:)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Agreed

Time to start another thread about this? I've bombed out on a couple threads regarding this, but times have changed and I do believe I'll start another one. Maybe D* will listen this time.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Good idea. Also If you would add a poll to it, it would show DTV how many members want it yesterday.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Good idea. Also If you would add a poll to it, it would show DTV how many members want it yesterday.

I was gonna do a poll, but every time I start one I screw it up.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

I vote that you start a poll. :D
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   grahambanks

grahambanks

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm not using that specific drive but I'm running a 9TB RAID 5 array using the enclosure below. Works great, no problems.

Cool. I am not too familiar with RAID, but I think could set that up. What happens if one of the drives fails? Do you lose everything?

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Argentina ?

Pure technical curiosity: what size of dishes (I know all sats must be on own dish) you have ? 3m ?5m ?

Edited by P Smith, 14 November 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Cool. I am not too familiar with RAID, but I think could set that up.

http://en.wikipedia....ard_RAID_levels

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Snip...

So are you saying you've passed the two hundred hour limit? Or just that it is attached, and appears to be working? Thanks for the info. :)

#16 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o06_s00_i00

This is the drive I'm using:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=seagate 3TB

9 TBs?!?! And people think I'm nuts for wanting 3 TBs lol How many hours you get with bottomless pit? lol

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

So are you saying you've passed the two hundred hour limit? Or just that it is attached, and appears to be working? Thanks for the info. :)

Yes, I have over 200 hours of recordings on it. I know for a fact the partition is 9TB.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

9 TBs?!?! And people think I'm nuts for wanting 3 TBs lol How many hours you get with bottomless pit? lol

I haven't even bothered to do the math. ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I don't know about a 9tb system, but I will seriously consider going raid if the single point of failure issue is resolved (and someone tests putting it on a different DVR, which I know will be tried the first night.)

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I don't know about a 9tb system, but I will seriously consider going raid if the single point of failure issue is resolved (and someone tests putting it on a different DVR, which I know will be tried the first night.)

I've got RAID setups on a couple of units now. If they, I'm not holding my breath, make it so that the content is tied to an account and not a dvice then I'll go RAID on all my DVRs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall