Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and 4TB External Drive

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,530 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Maybe WD will have a 4TB AV drive soon, since they have a 4TB Black drive.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Validate that. Tell me what the odds are on hitting a home run the next time you get up after hitting a home run. And if you do hit a home run in successive at bats, what are the odds on hitting a third one?

Rich

I did say was....!

The odds of me hitting the first homer are vanishingly small, but assuming they are constant, it'd be the same for each successive at bat. That's assuming constancy, of which there's very little in a real life BB. I'd be pitched to differently after astonishing everyone in the ball park on the first homer, and, after the second dinger, clearly walked in my third a.b., or h.b.p.
:hurah:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#63 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,255 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

If experience of the hardcore users is any indication, the DVR will likely die before either of the hard drives dies.

That's the exact opposite of what i have seen with my DVrs.

#64 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Can the HR line deal with RAID 1? Would this impact performance?

Sure. A "host" (DVR) doesn't know whether it's talking to a single directly connected drive or a fake virtualized drive presented by a RAID controller.

I've been running RAID 1 since the HR20 first came out. First with Sans Digital and the last few years with a CalDigit VR. Never a problem with the HR. Search my posts for details.

There should not be any performance impact for RAID 1. Writes go to both drives at the same time. Reads can come from either drive so reading can actually be faster (for a given block use the drive whose head is the closest minimizing seek time).

Other levels of RAID might negatively impact performance. A cheap/older RAID 5 or 6 array might be slower because of the need to calculate (in the controller) checksums for writes.

#65 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sure. A "host" (DVR) doesn't know whether it's talking to a single directly connected drive or a fake virtualized drive presented by a RAID controller.

I've been running RAID 1 since the HR20 first came out. First with Sans Digital and the last few years with a CalDigit VR. Never a problem with the HR. Search my posts for details.

There should not be any performance impact for RAID 1. Writes go to both drives at the same time. Reads can come from either drive so reading can actually be faster (for a given block use the drive whose head is the closest minimizing seek time).

Other levels of RAID might negatively impact performance. A cheap/older RAID 5 or 6 array might be slower because of the need to calculate (in the controller) checksums for writes.

Even an HR34, writing 5 stream at once, 2 of which might by OTA HD, don't effect performance? I would *THINK* it would, having to "Double write" everything?

#66 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I did say was....!

The odds of me hitting the first homer are vanishingly small, but assuming they are constant, it'd be the same for each successive at bat. That's assuming constancy, of which there's very little in a real life BB. I'd be pitched to differently after astonishing everyone in the ball park on the first homer, and, after the second dinger, clearly walked in my third a.b., or h.b.p.
:hurah:

Validated! Good for you! And you did it quickly enough to make me believe you didn't Google the answer.

Rich

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

That's the exact opposite of what i have seen with my DVrs.

Over 60 HRs since '06, I've had, and only a couple HDD failures that I was sure of. All the HRs I returned were definitely bad. I guess this is an argument we'll have from time to time. Both valid, both based on experience, but so different... :lol:

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Even an HR34, writing 5 stream at once, 2 of which might by OTA HD, don't effect performance? I would *THINK* it would, having to "Double write" everything?

It would if the double write happened sequentially. It doesn't. The RAID controller sends writes to both drives at the same time.

Disk I/O is not an atomic operation at the device level. It's a command/response situation. Thus command, command, wait, response, response is perfectly normal. The wait (or more accurately wait, wait) time is far larger than the command or response time.

In a small-scale RAID the drives don't even share a physical/electrical channel; each is wired directly to the RAID controller.

#69 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Over 60 HRs since '06, I've had, and only a couple HDD failures that I was sure of. All the HRs I returned were definitely bad. I guess this is an argument we'll have from time to time. Both valid, both based on experience, but so different... :lol:

This has probably been discussed before. With a fairly large sample such as this and more non-drive failures than drive failures, I believe you have one or more environmental issues.
  • "Dirty" power
  • Improperly installed dish or wiring (bad grounds, lightning/static sensitivity)
  • Thermal problems (inadequate ventilation, etc)

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

It would if the double write happened sequentially. It doesn't. The RAID controller sends writes to both drives at the same time.

Disk I/O is not an atomic operation at the device level. It's a command/response situation. Thus command, command, wait, response, response is perfectly normal. The wait (or more accurately wait, wait) time is far larger than the command or response time.

In a small-scale RAID the drives don't even share a physical/electrical channel; each is wired directly to the RAID controller.

After having two expensive (~$500) RAID boxes fail within a year I've been kinda leery about them. What is the best one to buy? Best one being the one you'd get if you were buying one today.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

After having two expensive (~$500) RAID boxes fail within a year I've been kinda leery about them. What is the best one to buy? Best one being the one you'd get if you were buying one today.

Hope that price included the drives!

I've gone through 2 older Sans Digital models and would never buy again.

I've had a CalDigit VR for the last 3 years. First on HR20 and now HR34. Love it. Have upgraded drives in it once and will be doing again soon (only trick is you need a special security screwdriver for screws in drive trays). Runs very cool and as quiet as it can be - external power brick. The VR may be limited to 2x2TB so max 2TB RAID 1. (Also configure for "Turbo" mode as it's optimized for video.)

If I had to buy today I'd either get a used VR or the newer VR2. (There is a used one on eBay 4TB for $280 expires in a few hours.)

Unfortunately you can't buy the enclosure without drives. It's relatively expensive. But keep in mind you must use enterprise/RAID class drives so it really isn't unreasonably priced.

Note: CalDigit VR Mini is different model than CalDigit VR

Edited by unixguru, 22 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.
Added warning about "mini" model

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

This has probably been discussed before. With a fairly large sample such as this and more non-drive failures than drive failures, I believe you have one or more environmental issues.

• "Dirty" power
  • Improperly installed dish or wiring (bad grounds, lightning/static sensitivity)
  • Thermal problems (inadequate ventilation, etc)

Most of the problems were early on and due to HDMI incompatibility with my TVs.

I've been an electrician for many years and I don't have "dirty" power.

Improper installations have been a problem that has caused many of my HR failures.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hope that price included the drives!

Was awhile ago, but I think they came with two 1TB drives in each one.

I've gone through 2 older Sans Digital models and would never buy again.

I've had a CalDigit VR for the last 3 years. First on HR20 and now HR34. Love it. Have upgraded drives in it once and will be doing again soon (only trick is you need a special security screwdriver for screws in drive trays). Runs very cool and as quiet as it can be - external power brick. The VR may be limited to 2x2TB so max 2TB RAID 1. (Also configure for "Turbo" mode as it's optimized for video.)

I've got all the security screwdrivers. So CalDigit VR, huh? I'll lock that in the vault for future use. Thanx.

Unfortunately you can't buy the enclosure without drives. It's relatively expensive. But keep in mind you must use enterprise/RAID class drives so it really isn't unreasonably priced.

The new WD Red Caviar are recommended for RAIDs and they're not that expensive.

Just curious about the RAID boxes. At the moment, I have nothing I can do with one. But, you never know...

Rich

#74 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,255 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Rich

Hey,I've always said you have a very unique issue. I don't recall seeing anyone else go through as many as you have! :)

But other than fan and power supply, I see no reason for anything else to regularly break in these things anyway. I have a feeling the number one issue that DIRECTV has other than hard drives though is power supply's, and then maybe the fans.

But yeah, everyone is different. I just don't see enough people asking about issues that are likely non hard drive but definitely DVR related to think that hard drives aren't the number one issue by far, after install issues. I think installs are probably the number one issue in general people have with DIRECTV systems.

#75 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

The new WD Red Caviar are recommended for RAIDs and they're not that expensive.

Wasn't aware of these - thanks. Will have to try them next time I upgrade...

#76 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hey,I've always said you have a very unique issue. I don't recall seeing anyone else go through as many as you have! :)

The actual number of HRs that I have received as replacements is actually higher than 60. I think 60 is around the number that were activated. A lot came in pieces or just wouldn't power up. They went right back.

But other than fan and power supply, I see no reason for anything else to regularly break in these things anyway. I have a feeling the number one issue that DIRECTV has other than hard drives though is power supply's, and then maybe the fans.

I've also had HRs that wouldn't work with my remotes unless I stood a foot away from the HR. I had a couple that got into 771 loops and wouldn't do anything but search for signals. Meanwhile, 10 or 11 other HRs were working fine. I had a 24-500, I think it was my first one, that went completely bonkers. Damn thing would do whatever it wanted to whenever it wanted to. I had a new 21-200 that started smoking the first night it was activated. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.

Most of the HRs I activated had big HDD in or on them and I'm still using all the 2TB HDDs (except for one and I'm not positive it was bad) that were in/on them.

But yeah, everyone is different. I just don't see enough people asking about issues that are likely non hard drive but definitely DVR related to think that hard drives aren't the number one issue by far, after install issues. I think installs are probably the number one issue in general people have with DIRECTV systems.

I don't remember exactly when it happened, but there was a time when HDD complaints were rare, then it seemed as if everyone was blaming the HDDs for everything.

My main reasons for all the replacements were bad installs and HDMI incompatibility. But the replacements rarely worked correctly either. Most of my problems were from late '06 to the spring of '08. Since then, I've had few problems.

Factor in my lousy luck, I'm the kind of guy you want to see walk into a craps game with a big wad of money, and that accounts for most of the HRs. The upside is I've learned a lot about these beasts. More than I want to know... :lol:

Rich

#77 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Wasn't aware of these - thanks. Will have to try them next time I upgrade...

I still have to find the place on the WD website that states the Greens aren't meant to be used in RAID boxes. The Reds are.

Rich

#78 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

True, over the total lifetime of the two drives, and that is the calculation for RAID 0. However, the whole point of RAID 1 is to exploit the fact that the failure of a drive is likely to happen at any point over the entire expected lifetime of the drive (as stated in the MTBF rating).

But given my point that the DVR seems more likely to fail, having a redundant RAID is of limited usefulness or appeal.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#79 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

I still have to find the place on the WD website that states the Greens aren't meant to be used in RAID boxes. The Reds are.

Footnote in bottom right corner... http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=780

Probably didn't say this until the Reds were announced.

Good article here.

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,530 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Are their AV drives raid supported?

I always thought it was a bad idea to use a non av drive for a DVR because of the error correction etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...