Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and 4TB External Drive

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Footnote in bottom right corner... http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=780

Probably didn't say this until the Reds were announced.

Thanx. That isn't where I saw it, but what I saw said the same thing. That website is really something to navigate thru.

Good article here.

Let me read that.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I just moved from 4x750G RAID5 to 4x3TB RAID5 in my Promise SmartStor DS4600 enclosure (I have 2 of these enclosures)... I moved all the recordings over and went from 2% free to 76% free.

The 750's were some old WD's I had lying around, the 3TB's are the WD RED drives.

My observations: The RED drives are ALOT quieter and cooler than the 750's were... and the fan on the RAID box is either on it's lowest speed or off. these are some of the coolest HDD'S I have seed. No performance differences noticed thus far...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#83 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

So, what then is the external drive storage limit on the HR 34? 3TB, 9TB, whatever you want?

#84 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

WD Red drives? Their website only shows Black and Green and a couple other names without colors. What is the "red" drive all about?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#85 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

So, what then is the external drive storage limit on the HR 34? 3TB, 9TB, whatever you want?

I've tested up to 12TB.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#86 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

WD Red drives? Their website only shows Black and Green and a couple other names without colors. What is the "red" drive all about?

They are marketing them as NAS drives.

http://www.amazon.co...ern digital red
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#87 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=810

#88 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I just moved from 4x750G RAID5 to 4x3TB RAID5 in my Promise SmartStor DS4600 enclosure (I have 2 of these enclosures)... I moved all the recordings over and went from 2% free to 76% free.

The 750's were some old WD's I had lying around, the 3TB's are the WD RED drives.

My observations: The RED drives are ALOT quieter and cooler than the 750's were... and the fan on the RAID box is either on it's lowest speed or off. these are some of the coolest HDD'S I have seed. No performance differences noticed thus far...

Cutting through the Intelli* marketing, the GREEN and RED are 5400 rpm. Your old drives were probably 7200. That does a lot to reduce noise and heat (and power consumption!).

The number of DVR streams supported today really have no use for faster rpm.

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wonderful website isn't it? I damn near went nutz trying to find the warning about using Green Caviars in RAID boxes. If it wasn't for unixguru I'd still be looking for it.

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Cutting through the Intelli* marketing, the GREEN and RED are 5400 rpm. Your old drives were probably 7200. That does a lot to reduce noise and heat (and power consumption!).

The number of DVR streams supported today really have no use for faster rpm.

Ever figure out why the Green Caviars aren't recommended for RAID setups?

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I believe it's because of issues like time required to wake up, or if it hits a bad sector and goes into a longer recovery scan. This can cause the drive to get dropped from the array. I don't think they support Time Limited Error Recovery.

This may not be an issue with all RAID controllers etc, but they pretty much have to make a blanket statement.

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I believe it's because of issues like time required to wake up, or if it hits a bad sector and goes into a longer recovery scan. This can cause the drive to get dropped from the array. I don't think they support Time Limited Error Recovery.

This may not be an issue with all RAID controllers etc, but they pretty much have to make a blanket statement.

Whoosh!!! Went right over my head with that one! But at least I can see some reasoning for the warning, I guess.

Rich

#93 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

It wouldn't be wake up, RAID never sleeps. If a drive is in a RAID array it never spins down. Bad sector recovery is plausible though.

It probably has more to do with the quality of the parts in the drive itself. Since Green are the bottom of the line WD drives putting them in a RAID array probably shortens their lifespan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#94 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Basically, if the drive hits a bad sector, it can spend up to 30 seconds trying to repair it, move data off etc. I don't think it really responds to the controller during this period, so at least potentially the array could think the drive had failed, dropping it.

#95 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Basically, if the drive hits a bad sector, it can spend up to 30 seconds trying to repair it, move data off etc. I don't think it really responds to the controller during this period, so at least potentially the array could think the drive had failed, dropping it.

That depends on the controller and whether or not there is a write caching battery. This leads back to you saying it's probably a blanket statement. I think you're right there. The green drives may be just fine with a higher quality RAID controller with write caching but to be safe they just said no to RAID for the green drives.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#96 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

That depends on the controller and whether or not there is a write caching battery. This leads back to you saying it's probably a blanket statement. I think you're right there. The green drives may be just fine with a higher quality RAID controller with write caching but to be safe they just said no to RAID for the green drives.

Unlikely that the kind of controllers we are talking about, 2-4 drives, would have any kind of battery.

Even if they did, it wouldn't help. Every RAID controller is going to decide a drive is dead when it doesn't respond after some period of time. Once it decides it isn't going to automatically change it's mind. Even if it did keep retrying access after it has marked a drive dead it isn't going to automatically bring it back if it starts working again. The logic is if the drive didn't respond reasonably then there is something wrong with it. You don't want to start using a questionable drive again - and likely have it fail again. The longer you play games like that the higher the probability that other drive(s) in the RAID group will develop a problem which increases the risk of losing all integrity of your data. RAID is about reliability and one errs on the conservative side. Of course a manual intervention can tell the RAID controller to bring the drive back - with cheap no-knob RAID this is done by ejecting the drive and reinserting it.

My guess is that a "RED" drive is basically the same as a "GREEN" drive with some firmware tweaks (i.e. a few of the enterprise-class options).

I'd speculate that most/all the models are mostly the same physical device. Maybe the platters are graded/sorted. Possibly different speeds of the controller chip. Different cache RAM sizes. Different firmware (rpms, options, etc). The only reason to do all this complexity is price (to customer). Basically the physical device is mostly the same cost to manufacture no matter what model.

#97 OFFLINE   franklin_planner

franklin_planner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Can anyone confirm that the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U will recognize all 3TB of a Western Digital WD AV-GP WD30EURS 3TB drive connected to an HR34?

I have had good luck with that enclosure with the 2TB version on my HR24.

Thanks for any help.

#98 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Can anyone confirm that the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U will recognize all 3TB of a Western Digital WD AV-GP WD30EURS 3TB drive connected to an HR34?

I have had good luck with that enclosure with the 2TB version on my HR24.

Thanks for any help.

Let us know how it works. Info is sketchy right now on what works with the 34s.

Rich

#99 OFFLINE   ScottBRLa

ScottBRLa

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'm not using that specific drive but I'm running a 9TB RAID 5 array using the enclosure below. Works great, no problems.

This is the drive I'm using:

I subscribed to DirecTV yesterday, and the installer will be bringing my new HR34 next Friday. I apologize for an elementary question, but I'm not incredibly tech savvy. If I buy the items you referenced, I can pretty much "plug and play"? And take advantage of 9TB of DVR storage on my HR34? Or, do the hard drives require some setup?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

#100 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'd suggest you take your time. The Genie has, for me, plenty of space. All depends on your viewing habits. I personally don't want a large library, and I never keep sporting events. Just movies and a few series. Mileage varies, but RunnerFL's set up is quite sophisticated.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall