Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and 4TB External Drive

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I subscribed to DirecTV yesterday, and the installer will be bringing my new HR34 next Friday. I apologize for an elementary question, but I'm not incredibly tech savvy. If I buy the items you referenced, I can pretty much "plug and play"? And take advantage of 9TB of DVR storage on my HR34? Or, do the hard drives require some setup?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

It's not exactly plug and play, no, but it's not difficult. Once you get the enclosure setup and hook it up to the HR34 then the HR34 will setup the partitions and such.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   ScottBRLa

ScottBRLa

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'd suggest you take your time. The Genie has, for me, plenty of space. All depends on your viewing habits. I personally don't want a large library, and I never keep sporting events. Just movies and a few series. Mileage varies, but RunnerFL's set up is quite sophisticated.

I've got TiVos I use with cable now, and have 2 TB of storage on my primary, and 1.2 TB each on the two secondary units. Given that all four of my family members will be recording things, and almost entirely in HD, I'm pretty sure we'll run through the 1 TB pretty quickly. Of course, 9 TB is probably overkill....but 6 TB sounds pretty good.

#103 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'd suggest you take your time.

I have to disagree here. Installation of a brand new unit is the perfect time to add whatever eSATA setup you have. If you wait a few months, or even a few days, you wind up with shows on the internal drive and on the external. As we all know you can't have access to both at the same time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#104 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've got TiVos I use with cable now, and have 2 TB of storage on my primary, and 1.2 TB each on the two secondary units. Given that all four of my family members will be recording things, and almost entirely in HD, I'm pretty sure we'll run through the 1 TB pretty quickly. Of course, 9 TB is probably overkill....but 6 TB sounds pretty good.

6TB is what I finally wound up doing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#105 OFFLINE   ScottBRLa

ScottBRLa

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

6TB is what I finally wound up doing.

Excellent....thanks for the advice and your time.

#106 OFFLINE   blueman2

blueman2

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I recently moved from an HR22 to an HR34 Genie. On the HR22, the system would become terribly slow and unresponsive once the built in 500G drive was more than 50% full. Once I had a 2TB drive on it, and it was absolutely unusable when 50% full.

Does the HR34 suffer the same issue? Are people are using >2TB of recorded material, and still getting good responsiveness from their systems?????

Thanks

#107 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

isn't the thread dedicated to that ? and no one posted how it behave after the drive is 50% full ?

#108 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Been waiting for someone to try a 4TB drive (w/o raid) and see what happens!

#109 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

if tested 3 TB, then 4 TB would be no different

#110 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

isn't the thread dedicated to that ? and no one posted how it behave after the drive is 50% full ?

Should be no problems at 50% full. With any HR. The problems begin to surface between 30% and 20% full. Of course, with an HR22-100, nothing would surprise me.

Rich

#111 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Been waiting for someone to try a 4TB drive (w/o raid) and see what happens!

Expensive.

Rich

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

if tested 3 TB, then 4 TB would be no different

Be the same with a 10TB HDD, I would think. But who would do that except for testing purposes?

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Be the same with a 10TB HDD, I would think. But who would do that except for testing purposes?

Rich

Docderwood :D

#114 OFFLINE   Whiskey River

Whiskey River

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hmm well that sucks ! I know the green drives are cheap 2tb's just over a 100 bucks !

DO NOT USE green caviar drives, THEY WILL FAIL !. Allready replaced those green crapola drives with the RED ones. The Green goes into some sort of bad sector recovery mode endlessly when it encounters a bad spot, and thus causes the RAID to fail and go offline. The RED quickly marks the spot and moves on, allowing the RAID to not go offline. WD made the drives this way to keep RAID people from getting cheap drives. Read their articles about it.

#115 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

DO NOT USE green caviar drives, THEY WILL FAIL !. Allready replaced those green crapola drives with the RED ones. The Green goes into some sort of bad sector recovery mode endlessly when it encounters a bad spot, and thus causes the RAID to fail and go offline. The RED quickly marks the spot and moves on, allowing the RAID to not go offline. WD made the drives this way to keep RAID people from getting cheap drives. Read their articles about it.

Personally, if I ever get a Genie, I wouldn't use more than a 2TB drive on it. The Green Caviars work quite well in/on all 12 of my HRs. Your point is well taken, tho. I gave up on RAID boxes years ago. Lost two $500 boxes within a year (4 months for one).

Rich

#116 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have 9TB on the back of my Genie and we are at 77% free as of now. that's about 2.07G in use.

I started with 4x750GB in RAID5 on a Promise DS4600 RAID box last April, and moved the recordings to a 4x3TB back in November and have had no issues. the WD RED drives are much quieter and cooler than the 750's were

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#117 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thats too much recorded content in 1 place....sure you've got the data protected using raid, but whats preventing the box from going out? Those recordings are all useless at that point.

#118 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I recently moved from an HR22 to an HR34 Genie. On the HR22, the system would become terribly slow and unresponsive once the built in 500G drive was more than 50% full. Once I had a 2TB drive on it, and it was absolutely unusable when 50% full.

Does the HR34 suffer the same issue? Are people are using >2TB of recorded material, and still getting good responsiveness from their systems?????

Thanks

I have an HR34 with a 2TB internal drive from Weakness that we got quite a while ago. We normally have it 70-85% full with no issues or slowdowns.

I really wish I could have more than one genie in our house. I would love to have 5 tuners on all of my DVRs.

#119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thats too much recorded content in 1 place....sure you've got the data protected using raid, but whats preventing the box from going out? Those recordings are all useless at that point.

Agree, I do. D* really ought to do something about this.

Rich

#120 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Agree, I do. D* really ought to do something about this.

Rich

I have about 5 TB's of storage but its spread across 3 DVR's, not to your extent Rich, but I'm single so I didnt need more than a couple DVR's for my different viewing areas. 2TB's per HR2X gives me about 400-450 hours of HD per DVR....it'll never all get watched. Meaning at some point, even I will lose recordings when an HR goes belly up. BUt I've never lost recordings to a failed HDD since I switched to eSATA. At the 1st sign of any problems, I'm copying the drive over, and voila, like new.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...