Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and 4TB External Drive

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,122 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have about 5 TB's of storage but its spread across 3 DVR's, not to your extent Rich, but I'm single so I didnt need more than a couple DVR's for my different viewing areas. 2TB's per HR2X gives me about 400-450 hours of HD per DVR....it'll never all get watched. Meaning at some point, even I will lose recordings when an HR goes belly up. BUt I've never lost recordings to a failed HDD since I switched to eSATA. At the 1st sign of any problems, I'm copying the drive over, and voila, like new.

We've both solved our problems with losing content. Both in different ways, both work.

If you are not involved in the testing and put a huge RAID array on a Genie...well, you've been warned. If I get one, it'll only have a 2TB drive externally. Just like the rest of my HRs. More than that is much more than normal folks need or will use.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

If you are not involved in the testing and put a huge RAID array on a Genie...well, you've been warned.

I dropped down to 3TB on each Genie. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#123 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,122 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I dropped down to 3TB on each Genie. :)

Wise, you are! Did you ever hit a point where the Genies wouldn't record?

Rich

#124 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Wise, you are! Did you ever hit a point where the Genies wouldn't record?

Rich

No, not at all. At one point I had 40% left on a 6TB array. I was just recording stuff to see how much it would take to fill it. I gave up. Way more than anyone would ever need to hold on to. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#125 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,122 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

No, not at all. At one point I had 40% left on a 6TB array. I was just recording stuff to see how much it would take to fill it. I gave up. Way more than anyone would ever need to hold on to. :lol:

I think I'm gonna drop down to 9 HRs. I think my obsessiveness has run it's course. The HRs seem much more stable and there's really not that much on TV that we actually watch. I'm also gonna see what I can do about dumping the Premier Package. I rarely record movies.

Rich

#126 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think I'm gonna drop down to 9 HRs. I think my obsessiveness has run it's course. The HRs seem much more stable and there's really not that much on TV that we actually watch. I'm also gonna see what I can do about dumping the Premier Package. I rarely record movies.

Rich

I'm down from 6 HRs and a couple of H25's to 2 Genies, 2 HRs and a Genie client.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#127 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,122 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm down from 6 HRs and a couple of H25's to 2 Genies, 2 HRs and a Genie client.

I've gotta have HRs on each TV (8) or they'll be an uprising. 9 seems the right number for me. I might take a 44 if they offer me one without charge. Don't want clients. Rather have DVRs.

Rich

#128 ONLINE   GAM

GAM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

When setting up a RAID (either mirror or RAID 5) do you have to build the RAID array on a PC first and then when it is done hook it up to the HR34?  Also, could I use my existing HR34 drive to do this or do you have to start fresh?

#129 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,310 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

You can use an existing DVR, but it replaces the internal drive so you'd have to redo your series links, and it you have recordings on the internal, you'll need to reboot with the external disconnected to access them.

I recommend leaving at least a partial recording of something on the internal. Sometimes they don't recognize the external after a reboot, and it's helpful to know that it booted to the internal drive instead of just seeing no recordings. 

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,974 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

after forming RAID and formatting working space by DVR, you could copy a content with series links, recordings,EPG, etc - we have dedicated thread(s) how-to

#131 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

When setting up a RAID (either mirror or RAID 5) do you have to build the RAID array on a PC first and then when it is done hook it up to the HR34?  Also, could I use my existing HR34 drive to do this or do you have to start fresh?

You have to use an enclosure with a RAID controller on board and follow the enclosures instructions on setting up your array.  Then hook it up to the HR34 and it will format and set it up for use.

You could not use the existing drive in your HR34 as part of the array.  Creation of the array wipes out the data on all drives in the array.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#132 ONLINE   GAM

GAM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...